Finally got my new P365XL to the range. Some thoughts...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I've had my brand-new Sig P365XL for about 6 weeks. Today, I finally got some range time with it. I had two things in mind while comparing it to my standard P365. 1.) Does the straight trigger matter? 2.) Does the small increase in size matter?

With respect to the trigger, straight vs curved made absolutely no difference to me. Both felt the same. Curved or straight made no difference, which makes me happy, since I have nothing new to get used to. I love the hugely tactile reset on the P365. The P365XL reset is exactly the same. Great. My brain thinks I can actually HEAR the reset. Unlikely, but my brain quit surprising me decades ago.

Size made less difference than I though it would. The XL is certainly less jumpy in my hand(s); it is easier to hang onto than the P365. As such, I felt I could get back on target a tad quicker, though I don't time my work. The extra barrel length seemed to also make little difference. Keep in mind, I am not a 25 yard bullseye shooter. About 90% of my range time is devoted to emptying magazines into 3" circles at 7 yards, as quickly as I can get it done accurately. I found the guns to be equally consistent with shot placement, but the XL grouped about an inch lower at 7 yards. Again, hard to tell for sure, I am not bullseye shooting.

Both guns have properly consumed everything I've fed them so far. Today I put several magazines of Federal 147gr HST and Hornady Critical Defense down-range, as well as 4 or 5 boxes of 115gr FMJ. The XL digested everything, just like its little brother. The take-away from today's experience is that the Sig-Sauer P365XL is one excellent piece of hardware, just like the original P365. All of this makes me very happy that I've sold the P320.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I find the 365XL to be much more shootable with the Wilson Combat grip module. YMMV.
    I tried a WC grip module on my P365. It didn't help me w/shootability, and the coarse texturing made carry extremely uncomfortable. I temporarily put a Sig XL grip module on my P365. I prefer in the 10+1 standard configuration. The Sig XL grip is available if anyone wants it.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I actually prefer the longer grip on my P365X as compared to the original P365 grip. I ended up ordering the extended mag for the P365 to get a feel more like the P365X. Come to think of it after buying the P365X I have not even fired the P365. Part of the reason is I use a Holosun on the P365X and really don't see the open sights well on most handguns these days.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I bought a 365 when they first came out and a 365XL when they showed up. I like the bigger frame so I just ordered an XL frame for the smaller gun. Still have both but one wears the Romeo now.....

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Never tried RDS. Open irons work just fine. Never tried a range-finder on the golf course, either. Knowing how to deploy my equipment is part of the joy of using it. Oh, and I still use an all-manual medium-fomat film camera. Why? Because I can.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Where do you hitch up your horse when you get to work?
    Funny you should ask. I work in the middle of north-central Indiana Amish country. Plenty of places everywhere to tie up a horse in these parts. A goodly portion of my patients are Amish. They pay drivers to bring them into town. In a car. Old-fashioned ain't what it used to be. By the way, my YashicaMat camera was born the same year I was: 1957.

I find it quite amazing that no (as in none, not even one) digital camera manufacturer can touch the top end dynamic range of a 50+ year old film camera. Or any film camera for that matter. Canon's latest-greatest digital camera costs $5,999. It can do a lot of things this one can't. For high-end exposure lattitude, film takes digital, every time. Diff'rent strokes, and all that.

Attachments

• IMG_2353.JPG
      IMG_2353.JPG
      310.6 KB · Views: 1
    Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Funny you should ask. I work in the middle of north-central Indiana Amish country. Plenty of places everywhere to tie up a horse in these parts. A goodly portion of my patients are Amish. They pay drivers to bring them into town. In a car. Old-fashioned ain't what it used to be. By the way, my YashicaMat camera was born the same year I was: 1957.

I find it quite amazing that no (as in none, not even one) digital camera manufacturer can touch the top end dynamic range of a 50+ year old film camera. Or any film camera for that matter. Canon's latest-greatest digital camera costs $5,999. It can do a lot of things this one can't. For high-end exposure lattitude, film takes digital, every time. Diff'rent strokes, and all that.
    I asked, in part, because I knew there would be a story.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Always. I talk even more in person. I just caught your name; it seems very familiar. Are you affiliated with healthcare? I am currently working as a perioperative RN at EGH. Went to school at IUSB.
    Though I have had to put my first aid skills to use more than I care for, I am in no way a professional in the medical field. My wife is, and I am on the front end of paying for 7 years of college for my daughter to be a PT, so there is that.

Top Bottom