• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    I'm seeing some good prices on the Internet. But, they only ship to FFL addresses.
    What can I expect in tranfer fees from an FFL?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    FFL transfer fees depend upon what the dealer wants to charge. The dealer I use now charges $20 for a transfer, he will do multiple guns for $20 or an individual gun for $20. Some dealers charge as much as $50 or more per gun.

Some have a dual price scale. One (lower) price for 'old' or 'out of production' guns and another (higher) price for current production guns. One dealer I used up until he retired had a $50 transfer for current production guns but he would transfer older/out of production guns for $10 each. His logic was that he could sell you a current production gun because he could buy those and stock them. He charged less for old guns because those were not commonly available or collector guns.

Blythe's gun shop in Griffith charges $50 per gun. I transferred 2 guns through them because the fat jerk behind the counter lied to me and told me he's work something out if I did multiples. So I get there to pick up my guns (2 older guns from a collector shipped at the same time from that collector to Blythe's) and the guy starts lying through his fat face to me that it costs them more to transfer expensive guns and he wants to charge me $100 for one of the guns because he's sure its over $1000. I tell him no, both are cheap and he skins me for $100 for the 2 guns. Never will buy from them again.

It pays to shop around for a dealer who will, in fact, work with you and not, like Blythes in Griffith, lie to you and screw you over.

JCDPA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    I'd be cautious about ordering anything to be shipped to your FFL before you find out what the FFL is actually going to charge you. Shop around. Ask your friends. Find a reputable FFL. Doesn't have to be a gun shop owner. Many gunsmiths have FFL's and charge little if anything for transfers.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'd be cautious about ordering anything to be shipped to your FFL before you find out what the FFL is actually going to charge you. Shop around. Ask your friends. Find a reputable FFL. Doesn't have to be a gun shop owner. Many gunsmiths have FFL's and charge little if anything for transfers.
    some Pawn shop have FFL:yesway:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    FFL transfer fees depend upon what the dealer wants to charge. The dealer I use now charges $20 for a transfer, he will do multiple guns for $20 or an individual gun for $20. Some dealers charge as much as $50 or more per gun.

Blythe's gun shop in Griffith charges $50 per gun. I transferred 2 guns through them because the fat jerk behind the counter lied to me and told me he's work something out if I did multiples. So I get there to pick up my guns (2 older guns from a collector shipped at the same time from that collector to Blythe's) and the guy starts lying through his fat face to me that it costs them more to transfer expensive guns and he wants to charge me $100 for one of the guns because he's sure its over $1000. I tell him no, both are cheap and he skins me for $100 for the 2 guns. Never will buy from them again.

It pays to shop around for a dealer who will, in fact, work with you and not, like Blythes in Griffith, lie to you and screw you over.
    I've never heard of firearms costing more to transfer based on their worth. I could be wrong but i've never heard of that. I just don't use Blythe's for any transfers beacuse it's $50 a pop.

Cheeseburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Best advice is to call around, prices vary widely. When I was seeking an FFL to transfer my Mosin, it varied from $20 to $75. I thought it polite to ask if the store stocked the item I wanted before I asked them to do the transfer. Understandably they seem more cooperative if it's not an item they stock or can order for you.

If it's old enough you might find someone with an Curio & Relic who will do it for free.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    The closest guy to me charges $50 plus an addition $20 for the NICS checks. Needless to say, I don't use him. $70 for a transfer is a little steep. He's an ass, and that's too bad. He's the only guy around and could have a lucrative business, but nobody goes to his shop because his prices are really high and he has a crappy personality.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    Wow. Quite a spread in fees. $17 to $100. Thanks to to everyone for the input. I am not against paying for a service, $10 - $20 seems fair to me. I sure don't want to spend the savings I get from an online deal for the tranfer though. If I can find a local shop with a competitive price I'd take that over an online purchase, I prefer buying local. Any thoughts from FFLs out there on this?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The closest guy to me charges $50 plus an addition $20 for the NICS checks. Needless to say, I don't use him. $70 for a transfer is a little steep. He's an ass, and that's too bad. He's the only guy around and could have a lucrative business, but nobody goes to his shop because his prices are really high and he has a crappy personality.

If you're ever quoted a transfer price, plus an additional fee for NICS in Indiana, know that it's just a scam to get more money out of you. Some states use their own instant check system instead of FBI NICS and those systems usually charge the dealer a fee to run the check. I know WI does, IL does, among others.

Indiana uses the federal NICS system, which does NOT charge the dealer, so they should not be charging you anything for this check.

As far as Blythe's in Griffith's transfer fees go, here's my story. I used to use CNI in Crown Point. He was $25, IIRC. He went out of business, so I was looking for a new transfer dealer. I called up Blythes and inquired about their transfer price. The guy on the other end of the phone said, "They start at $50." I asked him what "start" meant. The answer he gave me was that it was based on the price of the gun, as they have to "insure" the guns that are in their store, so they charge more for more expensive guns. I didn't bother to ask him what the threshold was (evidently $1,000) as my BS meter went off and I ended the phone call and all future business with Blythe's. A company has business liability insurance, and any gun they brought in would be covered under that.

Now, if it were some super rare expensive gun or VERY expensive MG (maybe something approaching 6 figures in value, I could maybe see them wanting something more for insuring against loss while they had it, or making you sign a waiver or something, but for your run-of-the-mill guns, it's a total BS money-making scheme.

Also, never use a dealer who charges "sales tax" on top of his transfer. Indiana does not charge sales tax on services, so he's not collecting it for the state, it's going in his pocket. If they had the balls to tell you up front that they charge a percentage because they're not making the sale, fine, I can respect that. I'd probably look for someone else cheaper, but if you lie and tell me you have to charge sales tax, you've lost all respect in my book and I won't do business with you again.

ETA: Anyone in/around NWI, it would be to your benefit to contact Matt from Front Toward Enemy out of Demotte for your next transfer. In my 11 years of buying most of my guns from the internet, so they were mostly ALL transfers, I've never dealt with a better guy when it comes to an FFL. I just email him where I need the license to go, and he fires off a copy via email that day. Some dealers I dealt with would take DAYS to get a copy sent off to the sender. He will accept transfers from private parties (with copy of DL) and he doesn't give you a hard time if you have him transfer in a gun that you got cheaper than he quoted you. On top of that, his transfers are $20, no BS or hidden fees.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    ETA: Anyone in/around NWI, it would be to your benefit to contact Matt from Front Toward Enemy out of Demotte for your next transfer. In my 11 years of buying most of my guns from the internet, so they were mostly ALL transfers, I've never dealt with a better guy when it comes to an FFL. I just email him where I need the license to go, and he fires off a copy via email that day. Some dealers I dealt with would take DAYS to get a copy sent off to the sender. He will accept transfers from private parties (with copy of DL) and he doesn't give you a hard time if you have him transfer in a gun that you got cheaper than he quoted you. On top of that, his transfers are $20, no BS or hidden fees.
    ^This^ I'm in the process of conducting a transfer deal with Matt right now. So far the communication has been excellent and he promptly provided the seller with an FFL copy and even did a follow up with them to make sure they received it.

I'm just waiting now for the item to be shipped so we can set up an appointment to conduct the transfer. So far my experience with Matt and Front Toward Enemy Firearms has been top notch. :yesway:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I'm going to throw my :twocents: out there. From my experience the average fee is closer to $35 expect to pay between $25 and $35 and you should be covered. There are lower fees out there but not the norm.

Top Bottom