• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Roughly 96% of all over the counter cough and cold medicine.This includes things the FDA has not approved of such as cough drops(they have never been "tested").So if you think they are actually effective I suggest you go buy some.They will no longer be available.They have 90 days to stop making them and 180 days to ship the ones they have already made.

FDA cracks down on unapproved cold and allergy drugs

*edit...apparently I missed part of the recall. They are also recalling MANY prescription cold medicines,not just over the counter.
    Prescription Cold Medicines Pulled From the Market - NYTimes.com

Some of the affected meds from the FDA site(these are the ones that have applied for testing,but so far not approved).
    OTC Panel Submissions (Indices Only): 04 - Cough-Cold

Ludens,Sucrets,Vicks(all products),Nyquil,Formula 44d,Robitussin.....the list is Very long but you get the idea.
    Phenylephrine based meds are also all on the list...such as...

Complete list from the FDA site for prescription meds affected by the new order.
    Unapproved Prescription Cough, Cold, and Allergy Products

I do not see how this could stand.People are going to be up in arms over this(not to mention the manufacturers).

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Federal health officials Wednesday announceda crackdown on the sale of prescription cold, cough and allergy products that had never been proven to be safe and effective.

Note, over-the-counter remedies (non-prescription) are not included. You can still buy your Halls Cough Drops. Basically, they are forcing un-tested prescriptions to either get tested or get recalled.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nyquil?!?!?!?!?
    WTF am I gonna use now to self induce my coma to get some sleep instead of coughing my head off??? Farking FDA!!!!:xmad: SUMONA*****ES

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    War on some Drugs.

A quick scan of the list reveals the majority of targeted drugs contain DXM (cough syrup, taken in higher doses becomes a powerful hallucinogen/dissociative) and good old pseudoephedrine (meth).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I still don't think over-the-counter remedies are on the list. Over the Counter is specifically named as an alternative to listed drugs (see the 6th paragraph of the official announcement on the FDA site), and remedies like Robitussin, Theraflu, and Alka-Seltzer are not the the official list (Unapproved Prescription Cough, Cold, and Allergy Products) and will stay on the shelves.

Sounds like a bunch of long-time prescriptions were once "grandfathered" in, and are now getting forced back through the process.

I would guess that a) the prescription simply will get certified by the usual process, or b) there is a viable alternative already available.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ludens,Sucrets,Vicks(all products),Nyquil,Formula 44d,Robitussin.....the list is Very long but you get the idea.
    Phenylephrine based meds are also all on the list...such as...

Complete list from the FDA site for prescription meds affected by the new order.
    Unapproved Prescription Cough, Cold, and Allergy Products

I do not see how this could stand.People are going to be up in arms over this(not to mention the manufacturers).

I didn't see any of the ones you named on the complete list. What I saw was all the generic versions of them. I'm guessing this was lobbied for by the large industries to make them more money.

Nyquil?!?!?!?!?
    WTF am I gonna use now to self induce my coma to get some sleep instead of coughing my head off??? Farking FDA!!!!:xmad: SUMONA*****ES

You'll still be able to get nyquil. Just not the cheaper generic versions of it.

Needless to say, myself and my wife are going to be picking up our generic sudafed tonight. And in two weeks if there is any left. Might have to pick up some starting fluid and coleman fuel while were at it. :popcorn:

Top Bottom