Family: Whatever happened to quality time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We were the same in the 70s. Today they would arrest my parents for abuse.
    Talking to a Millennial coworker via video feed, I mentioned about how it was growing up in an era where parents kicked us outside and we pretty much had free range. If I read his face correctly it pretty much said, okay boomer with maybe an eyeroll. For people who experienced it, I think it means much more than it does to people who haven’t. I get the feeling that younger people mostly don’t give a **** about whatever advantages we think we had growing up. I don’t think they view it as advantages.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Talking to a Millennial coworker via video feed, I mentioned about how it was growing up in an era where parents kicked us outside and we pretty much had free range. If I read his face correctly it pretty much said, okay boomer with maybe an eyeroll. For people who experienced it, I think it means much more than it does to people who haven’t. I get the feeling that younger people mostly don’t give a **** about whatever advantages we think we had growing up. I don’t think they view it as advantages.

“None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free”
    -Goethe

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My daughter dearly loves the woods and the creek.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    As kids we ate meals at the dinner table you were talked to if you did not have anything to say that was ok.
    When my kids were growing up same rules no tv no phone eat meals at the family table.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    RFT? Re-posted For Truth? ;)

Close enough. (Repeated FT)

I am not the "coolest" dad, but I am awesome. I make them do chores everyday. We work outside most days weather permitting. 2 working parents on opposite shifts, but all meals are eaten at the kitchen table together regardless of who's home. No phones, no computers. Family board game night is a regular occurrence. They watch me process wild game, pick the vegetables they grow themselves, and learn the value of earnings through hard work. I let them have their fun, but I refuse to let someone else show my turkeys the value of living. I only know these things as I had a proper example set before me. Sad to say this is a dying set of standards.

Here we improvised on a rainy day and made a pirate ship by pushing 2 couches together. Creativity/imagination goes a long way.

Attachments

• IMG_20210608_095847191.jpg
      IMG_20210608_095847191.jpg
      1.8 MB · Views: 9

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Now, Cable/internet bills are pretty fracking salty.
    Cell packages for the whole family aint cheap.
    Every kid has a I-Pad or a cell phone and many have laptops as they get older. WiFi is an absolute period.
    Hell a refrigerator costs as much as my dads new 69 Impala.
    Every kitchen has more appliances than we can find plugs for. We had a toaster.....:):
    The standard of basic living is off the charts from my childhood.
    Yeah a lot of the "new bills" that didn't exist 30 or 40 years ago just eat you alive. Total phones/internet for my family is probably close to my rent. And they're not really luxuries or optionals, not anymore.

C4C wiped out the affordable cars, now we have today's insane used car prices. Boom cycles and job concentration are constantly driving up housing and rents. Yeah maybe the "standard" of living is up, but it all costs a hell of a lot more, and it's not getting cheaper with everyone pushing toward rental and "...as a service" business models for everything we used to own outright.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I fear this one will take a reset to remedy. Many people just simply won’t put down their device, turn off their TVs or stop playing their video games.

I’m glad I don’t have any more young children and I’m gonna push my daughter hard in the future to make sure my grandchildren aren’t device addicted.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Yeah a lot of the "new bills" that didn't exist 30 or 40 years ago just eat you alive. Total phones/internet for my family is probably close to my rent. And they're not really luxuries or optionals, not anymore.
    Not to get off subject, but other services for phones are pretty good. Wife and I have Pure Talk wireless and only pay $40 a month. Now, back to the regularly scheduled discussion.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    We have always had a rule that everyone comes to the table for dinner. We also have only one TV in the house. When my kids were small, my wife stayed home with them for the first ten years. I did 10 years of 4H Shooting Sports with my kids. In the spring, summer and fall, we camped out one weekend a month. We all went to church together. Even though our kids are grown and out of the house, we still enjoy each others company.

The stupid little device I am typing this post on, has ruined many families. It has become a replacement for spending quality time with another human being.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I am not the "coolest" dad
    Well obviously not if you don't know when to use QFT! :p

But seriously, you ARE awesome. You are doing all the right things IMHO. I never had kids of my own, but I do have "grandkids" through DoggyMama. We've had one here for going on 4 weeks now because her dad, other grandma and other grandpa all got Covid at various times.

But we pretty much raised her for most of her first year of life, so that gave me some good lessons about being a parent, or at least being around infants! We have others, but no doubt that she is my favorite, mostly because I've literally known her all her life.

Her imagination is amazing. She's turning 7 next month, but she's been conducting imaginary Zoom meetings, summer camps, and school classes, all on her own! I'm sure that's from being around her dad and other grandparents (her other grandma and I work for the same place, and her other grandpa just retired from there).

Kids are great, and I do sometimes regret not having any. Especially when I need some work done around here. :):

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Well obviously not if you don't know when to use QFT!

But seriously, you ARE awesome. You are doing all the right things IMHO. I never had kids of my own, but I do have "grandkids" through DoggyMama. We've had one here for going on 4 weeks now because her dad, other grandma and other grandpa all got Covid at various times.

But we pretty much raised her for most of her first year of life, so that gave me some good lessons about being a parent, or at least being around infants! We have others, but no doubt that she is my favorite, mostly because I've literally known her all her life.

Her imagination is amazing. She's turning 7 next month, but she's been conducting imaginary Zoom meetings, summer camps, and school classes, all on her own! I'm sure that's from being around her dad and other grandparents (her other grandma and I work for the same place, and her other grandpa just retired from there).

Kids are great, and I do sometimes regret not having any. Especially when I need some work done around here. :):
    Can't wait till they can mow the grass!

Mine are young 7, 5, & 3 so no "hard labor" just yet. In their defense, they are a lot of fun to hang with.

Top Bottom