• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Sigh, Indianapolis has NEVER reported this...ever, it was just never advertised. There is no mechanism in place to communicate with ICE. There is no way for IMPD to verify someone's immigration status. You know, it wouldn't matter WHO the Chief is, this position is coming from the Mayor. Replace Taylor and the next Chief will say the same thing.
    Somebody's talking to ICE at some point.

ICE.PNG

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I really have no idea. All I'm saying is that the beat officers have no way of checking a person's immigration status. I'm sure a detective can call someone at ICE and eventually find someone who can answer that question. Then what? that is a Federal crime. I'm not empowered to arrest someone for a Federal crime. I have no authority in such matters. People are falling for the bait that article was designed as.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I don't think the 'faith leaders' are voicing genuine concerns. They know by now that the Chief is just a talking head that would be replaced by another talking head.

At least this chief in intellectually honest enough to not feel the need to appear genuine; he knows he's a political appointee who's job is to parrot what he's told until such a time as his resignation is politically needed.
    It's a chess game and he's playing the part of a Knight, one step above a Pawn but expendable when necessary.

**And yes, in these neighborhoods many people 100% believe that snitches get stitches. Detectives cannot gather eye witness evidence when there are no eye witnesses...and today in Indy, nobody saw nothin'

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I really have no idea. All I'm saying is that the beat officers have no way of checking a person's immigration status. I'm sure a detective can call someone at ICE and eventually find someone who can answer that question. Then what? that is a Federal crime. I'm not empowered to arrest someone for a Federal crime. I have no authority in such matters. People are falling for the bait that article was designed as.
    Presumably, an officer would have had a reason to interact with the individual, right? And if that is for an arrestable offense, they could be detained (however briefly, but long enough to make a phone call?) couldn't they?

Edit: When I was working in a restaurant back in the mid 80's, there was a system that our managers could call to verify citizenship (well, legality to work) status. The I-9. They could check with them?

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I had a brief exchange with Rev. Harrison on Twitter and pointed out that Chief Taylor may be a fine man but 65% of murder cases go unsolved. That is hard to accept.
    His response was (paraphrased) that the police can't do it without the community and the community won't help the police because they are afraid that perpetrators will be right back out on the street.

Okay, that's a rational point. But then I found this today. I see it as unacceptable and sloppy. It makes Indianapolis a sanctuary city without a vote by elected officials.

In my opinion Taylor should go.

Yep. It's a chicken and egg problem of lost faith. The populace has no faith in the cops because they either hate the police for political reasons or cause they can't solve crap. The police can't solve crap because the populace hates them.

Is it time for new police leadership? Sure. But even my ideal candidate would be immediately hamstrung by all these long term failures of other institutions. The police don't work in a vacuum, they're at the bottom of that hill all the poop runs down.

There may be competence problems but it's very difficult for IMPD to "just try harder" their way out of this. We didn't get here overnight.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This is what's going on with the shooting in Beech Grove last night at The Silver Bullet. Police know that lots of people witnessed it but nobody's talking. And Beech Grove isn't the typical neighborhoods that are involved in things like this, although they did say that the owner of the bar has other bars in Beech Grove and they've all had issues.
    I'm not a fan of all the cameras big brother wants to deploy everywhere. But, when crime rates continue to rise and more people refuse to cooperate with police it becomes almost a necessity. It can be the key to be able to get enough evidence to even pursue charges or nail down a suspect.
    The cockroaches are mobile and unfortunately, they aren't contained to any one or two areas. Anymore, any place of public gathering has very real possibility of becoming a problem.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yep. It's a chicken and egg problem of lost faith. The populace has no faith in the cops because they either hate the police for political reasons or cause they can't solve crap. The police can't solve crap because the populace hates them.

Is it time for new police leadership? Sure. But even my ideal candidate would be immediately hamstrung by all these long term failures of other institutions. The police don't work in a vacuum, they're at the bottom of that hill all the poop runs down.

There may be competence problems but it's very difficult for IMPD to "just try harder" their way out of this. We didn't get here overnight.
    Also doesn't help that IMPD policies keep changing in a manner that adds restrictions to keep police from actually doing police work.
    Limited pursuit policies (including foot chases) is one example. The miscreant people in our society learn quick that the police are limited on when/ how they can pursue which does nothing but embolden them.
    From outside looking in, sounds like K9 units are only used for trying to track people now. They're almost never allowed to let the dog loose to take someone in custody anymore (so I've been told).

Our officers do an admirable job to begin with but all these more woke, social worker policies has them handcuffed

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    From outside looking in, sounds like K9 units are only used for trying to track people now. They're almost never allowed to let the dog loose to take someone in custody anymore (so I've been told).
    I think they need to fit @Frank_N_Stein with a set of these. Take the K9 out of the equation. And since they clamped down on car chase rules, maybe they could sell his PIT bar to pay for it. ;)

1691712362861.png

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Also doesn't help that IMPD policies keep changing in a manner that adds restrictions to keep police from actually doing police work.
    Limited pursuit policies (including foot chases) is one example. The miscreant people in our society learn quick that the police are limited on when/ how they can pursue which does nothing but embolden them.

Our officers do an admirable job to begin with but all these more woke, social worker policies has them handcuffed
    I'm sure IMPD has hired many woke true believers, but they also have plenty of meat eaters who I'm sure feel hamstrung by these policies.

I could never, ever sign on for IMPD. The crummy policies aren't the biggest reason for me, it's the fear of being hung out to dry in a George Floyd situation. No cop deserves or should expect to be shielded for legitimately criminal behavior. But, you cannot ask police to police aggressively and then refuse to back them when things get difficult. IMPD leadership, the mayor, and Ryan Mears wake up in the morning dreaming of feeding a white cop to the woke mob and I simply could not drink the Kool Aid and do the job like a real cop knowing my life is forfiet the moment they get pushback because I got in a situation like this.

I don't expect the Blue Wall to help me if I crank off rounds at an unarmed shoplifter and hit somebody's kid. But I won't be a mob sacrifice for doing what I'm expected to do as a cop.

It's hard for me to judge cops for pulling back in that environment. Their lives and freedom are at stake m

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Sigh, Indianapolis has NEVER reported this...ever, it was just never advertised. There is no mechanism in place to communicate with ICE. There is no way for IMPD to verify someone's immigration status. You know, it wouldn't matter WHO the Chief is, this position is coming from the Mayor. Replace Taylor and the next Chief will say the same thing.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Chief Randal Taylor said Tuesday night his agency will not report undocumented immigrants to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement if they are pulled over.
    This is the lead sentence of the story and of course, it could be misleading. But later in the story Taylor talks about not having an "official relationship" with ICE and a concern over the number of Spanish-speaking officers.

Maybe he's simply following the city's (his boss's) policy, or maybe it's not practical to determine immigration status. Those are legitimate reasons.

I read it as IPD will not turn over illegal immigrants even when they've been identified as such. That is simply not his call to make.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Presumably, an officer would have had a reason to interact with the individual, right? And if that is for an arrestable offense, they could be detained (however briefly, but long enough to make a phone call?) couldn't they?

Edit: When I was working in a restaurant back in the mid 80's, there was a system that our managers could call to verify citizenship (well, legality to work) status. The I-9. They could check with them?

Calling ICE for someone here as an illegal is like calling ISP because somebody is doing 58mph on I-465. They know. They don't have the manpower or resources to address it in real time and it's not worth the followup with more serious crimes to investigate.

Without going down the rabbit hole again, it's like referring gun crimes to the ATF. If there are aggravating circumstances, like multiple felonies, criminal gang involvement, ongoing violence concerns, etc. THEN you may get them interested enough to dedicate some of the resources they have for it. Some illegal working at the quick-e lube who is unlicensed? Wasting everyone's time. This is not new. As a rookie I used to arrest them for forged documents, false IDs, unlicensed driving, etc. Eventually reality stomped it out of me as I realized I was busy but ineffective and moved on to things that mattered more with my time.

Anywho, back on topic. IMO, these people just want to say something that will get attention. It's the clergy's version of a leaked sex tape. Look at me! I want to be popular too!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

I guess I could try the ICE public number and see if they'll just give that out over the phone to anyone who asks? We don't have a number to a desk that performs that function. The other issue, what if I find out they are here illegally, then what, I can see if ICE will come out to arrest them. Otherwise, I don't have the authority to enforce the Federal laws.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    The start of a solution, or at least a mitigation, is to make all heads of law enforcement organizations elected. These positions should NOT be under the control of the local government Executive.

Make them directly accountable, with no ability for the mayor and police chief to deflect toward each other. (would also make the questions about May 2020 much easier to discern a party which needs to pay a price)

I have hit up my representative. Care to join me?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The start of a solution, or at least a mitigation, is to make all heads of law enforcement organizations elected. These positions should NOT be under the control of the local government Executive.

Make them directly accountable, with no ability for the mayor and police chief to deflect toward each other. (would also make the questions about May 2020 much easier to discern a party which needs to pay a price)

I have been telling them that for years.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

How well has that 'fixed' the office of Prosecutor?

Reactions: Ark

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Be sure to vote! :):

Let us all know how chopping off a couple of the Hydra's heads works out for you.

Top Bottom