• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Rev. Charles Harrison (10 Point Coalition) disagrees, and he makes a good point.

"Those guys have a right to their opinion, I don’t think their opinion reflects the majority of leaders in the city of Indianapolis nor, I would say, the Black community," said Harrison. "If you're going to point the finger at the chief, you've got to point the finger back at yourself, because as a community, we play an important role in this, too, if we're going to drive down these numbers."

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I appreciate Rev. Harrison's point but self reflection and evaluation is way too much to expect.

They could have at least pointed the blame somewhere that it may have actually mattered at this time. Like, oh, say the mayor's office. Since there is an election going on. Or at the prosecutor's office since much of the crime can be traced back to repeat offenders who benefited from Mears' soft on crime policy.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    All of this, over manufactured outrage due to a guy who was pulled over for driving recklessly, who got back in his car, grabbed a gun, and started running away from the police officer who pulled him over - and subsequently got shot for his actions.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    So they're mad that IMPD isn't woke enough. :rolleyes:

Harrell had a long history of traffic violations involving driving without a license or with a suspended license, or with expired plates, and driving while intoxicated. As of his death, he still owed a $277.80 in fines and court costs from being pulled over last October with no valid driver’s license and driving with expired plates.

Got rightfully pulled over, immediately combative with the police, then pulled a gun on the police and took off running and got shot. Sounds like exactly the kind of person who police should be acting to take off the street, and in exactly the neighborhood these people are complaining is "ignored".

And they wonder why IMPD doesn't want to enforce the law there. This officer is sweating at home waiting to learn whether Mears will railroad him into prison, and I guarantee everyone else in the department is thinking real hard about how to find better things to do on shift than traffic stops on the east side.

It is a hell of a lot easier to just let **certain** people get away with crimes in **certain** neighborhoods than it is to take the risk of getting a hole dug in your liver with a sharpened toothbrush in GenPop because you tried to do some good for people who hate you.

Heck yeah I'll direct traffic in Broad Ripple every weekend. I'll go home to my family, and some other fool can get himself locked up for trying to proactively police at 34th and Sherman.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    Not that the election and distribution of funds to all the various groups would have anything to do with this.

Always follow the money
    My first thought on this issue was not whether they are serious in asking for the removal of the Chief. They don't care about that really. They want city money from the mayor to provide "outreach programs" or some other BS. They want that money in reality not to benefit their broken fatherless hellmouth of a community, but to be able to raise their salaries and provide their friends and family with money to run these supposed programs that will be treated as a no-show job. Don't let their religious garb fool you, conmen and grifters all of them.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I appreciate Rev. Harrison's point but self reflection and evaluation is way too much to expect.

They could have at least pointed the blame somewhere that it may have actually mattered at this time. Like, oh, say the mayor's office. Since there is an election going on. Or at the prosecutor's office since much of the crime can be traced back to repeat offenders who benefited from Mears' soft on crime policy.
    Everyone overlooks the JUDGES. I'd put them above the Prosecutor and the Mayor in responsibility. The Judges give/approve silly, meaningless sentences.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Rev. Charles Harrison (10 Point Coalition) disagrees, and he makes a good point

I had a brief exchange with Rev. Harrison on Twitter and pointed out that Chief Taylor may be a fine man but 65% of murder cases go unsolved. That is hard to accept.
    His response was (paraphrased) that the police can't do it without the community and the community won't help the police because they are afraid that perpetrators will be right back out on the street.

Okay, that's a rational point. But then I found this today. I see it as unacceptable and sloppy. It makes Indianapolis a sanctuary city without a vote by elected officials.

In my opinion Taylor should go.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Everyone overlooks the JUDGES. I'd put them above the Prosecutor and the Mayor in responsibility. The Judges give/approve silly, meaningless sentences.
    I've said it many times that MSM needs to drop judges names more often when someone they put on an ankle monitor commits a new violent crime. Average folks go to vote and have no idea for who these people are or how soft they are on crime. But, the families of these mopes that vote know what judge gave their loved ones a break instead of sending them to prison.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had a brief exchange with Rev. Harrison on Twitter and pointed out that Chief Taylor may be a fine man but 65% of murder cases go unsolved. That is hard to accept.
    His response was (paraphrased) that the police can't do it without the community and the community won't help the police because they are afraid that perpetrators will be right back out on the street.

Okay, that's a rational point. But then I found this today. I see it as unacceptable and sloppy. It makes Indianapolis a sanctuary city without a vote by elected officials.

While I agree in regards to in essence making Indy a sanctuary city without a vote. I have to wonder why any major city wouldn't have a working relationship with ICE. I would venture to guess that the Mayor, Prosecutor and Sheriff would all be in agreeance with the Chief's position on illegal immigration issues.

Rev. Harrison is probably spot on with regard to the 65% of murder cases being unsolved. I know several homicide detectives and for many years they've struggled with getting people in the community to talk to them. It could be at a block party and for those moments in time everyone goes blind and deaf. Some folks absolutely live by the snitches get stitches mindset and are scared of what might happen.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Sigh, Indianapolis has NEVER reported this...ever, it was just never advertised. There is no mechanism in place to communicate with ICE. There is no way for IMPD to verify someone's immigration status. You know, it wouldn't matter WHO the Chief is, this position is coming from the Mayor. Replace Taylor and the next Chief will say the same thing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It could be at a block party and for those moments in time everyone goes blind and deaf. Some folks absolutely live by the snitches get stitches mindset and are scared of what might happen.
    This is what's going on with the shooting in Beech Grove last night at The Silver Bullet. Police know that lots of people witnessed it but nobody's talking. And Beech Grove isn't the typical neighborhoods that are involved in things like this, although they did say that the owner of the bar has other bars in Beech Grove and they've all had issues.

Top Bottom