• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Hello, I went to the range this weekend and was shooting two guns. One was a SR9 and the other was a brand new XDs 9. The SR9 had already had at least 500 rounds go through it and really never had a problem.

After shooting about 20-30 rounds through each gun the SR9 had a failure to eject/double feed. Then it happened to the XDs. Later it happened to the SR9 about 4-5 more times. I'm thinking it was the ammo which was Winchester ammo I bought at walmart a few weeks ago.

Each time it happened the empty shell was partially down the barrel and the magazine would not release. To clear it I had to lock the slide back and use a key to push back the new round so I could release the magazine. Then I had to use the key to pry the spent shell out of the barrel. I'm assuming this was an ammo issue but what about the ammo would cause this?

Below is a picture I found on the internet that shows what happened.

p1182888033.jpg

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    you weren't using 9x18 ammo, were you?

You didn't repeatedly drop the slide on a round in the chamber and jack up your extractor, did you?

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Not sure what you mean by drop the slide on a round. What would happen is I would fire the gun and then it would not go off the next time because of the issue.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    That picture shows an EXTRACTION failure, not an ejection fail. Three things come to mind:

1) Broken/bent or other problem with your extractor.
    2) Messed up lip on the case. If these are reloads perhaps the edge got damaged.
    3) If these are handloads you have an overpressure situation and the case is bulged and sticking too tightly in the chamber.

Since it was happening with TWO different firearms, I'm thinking 2 or 3 here since it seems odd that you have two guns with broken extractors.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I can't seem to find the ammo on walmart's site but all the ammo came from Winchester FMJ 9mm ammo with 50 per box bought at walmart. They were all bought at the same time.

Should also note that I probably shot 150 rounds through each gun and it happened just once or twice on the XDs and 4 or 5 times on the SR9.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Thanks. That's what I was looking for really, a reason why ammo would do this. I was about 97% sure it was the ammo after it happened in the XDs as well.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I will, might be a while though ... Have to find a different brand first :)

Took me weeks just to find the "bad" ammo.

Top Bottom