• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    It would be interesting to see a nutritional comparison of the so-called "Ezekiel mix" against plain old beans & rice (also a complete protein). Beans and rice is simple. Even beans, rice and wheat is simple. I just wonder if there's enough nutritional benefit to the mix to justify the added complication of mixing 8 grains and legumes in proportion and grinding them. Maybe there is. I don't know.

I doubt there is any nutritional difference.

However there could be a packaging and convenience difference. Beans and rice means either water and fire, or carrying around something that is wet and goes bad rather quickly. Ezekiel bread might be more storable and transportable for some situations.

The bread would have more up front prep time, but could have portability advantages once made. Beans and rice is relatively easy to cook, but pretty much needs to be consumed when it's made.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    It isn't anything at all like Hawaiian King bread. I would characterize HKB as soft and sugary, with very little texture. Ezekiel bread has a very grainy texture and a more complex taste. It really is not like any other bread, but is closer to true multi grain breads.

Never bought the King bread, and if it's sugary with no texture, it won't get any attention from my house. I'm a sourdough bread aficionado, been baking bread for some time for fun. I'm going to try and find some of the Ezekiel bread, and try it. I'm surprised it would be in the reefer section though, if its such a dense bread with so little carb content.

By the way, does anyone have a mini-mill? I've been kicking the idea around for a while, and have priced them, but so far I can buy fairly unprocessed flour close by. But, in case things get worse, I've thought about grinding my own grain.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Beans and rice means either water and fire, or carrying around something that is wet and goes bad rather quickly. Ezekiel bread might be more storable and transportable for some situations.

The bread would have more up front prep time, but could have portability advantages once made. Beans and rice is relatively easy to cook, but pretty much needs to be consumed when it's made.

All good points.

However, if you don't have water and fire (fuel/heat), you're pretty much hosed from a long-term survival perspective anyway, so I'm assuming one has water and heat for cooking (which you also need for bread, btw). So, I'm thinking that's a wash.

Your point about shelf-life once prepared is a good one. For travel food, a loaf of bread would last about a week. That's a week one potentially wouldn't have to worry about cooking.

Beans and rice can be slow cooked in a thermos bottle while on the move, btw.

The Ezekiel mix brings up the additional need for a grinder. I expect the burrs in a good grinder to last 3-4 years with normal family use. In a survival situation where one depended on the mill for daily flour needs how long might they last? One year? I've got a spare set of burrs and a set of spare parts for my mill (bearings, etc), but long-term, once those are consumed would I be reduced to mortar and pestle-type grinding? One should keep in mind, btw, that the shelf life of those grains, once ground, decreases significantly (6-8 mo w/no refrigeration).

I like a hearty multi-grain bread just as much as the next guy. Ezekiel bread and plain old rice and beans each have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm just suggesting that simple may be better (if simple still meets the needs that is).

BTW - here's what I came up with nutritionally speaking. It varies a bit on how it's prepared, but this should be close.

Ezekiel Bread 1 slice
    80 calories
    4 g protein
    15 g carbs
    0.5 g fat
    3 g fiber
    0.075 g sodium

Beans and Rice 1.25 cup (varies a bit from recipe to recipe)
    270 calories
    11 g protein
    50 g carbs
    3 g fat
    5.6 g fiber
    0.23 sodium

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Just saw some Zeke bread in the Grocery Store

The Kroger in Carmel has Ezekiel bread in the organic/health food section (near the produce) in the refrigerator. It comes in an orange wrapper.

Just in case someone wants to try it before stocking up on the ingredients :D

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I like 2 parts cornmeal, one part jerky.

Dump in a canteen cup, add water, simmer over a small fire until thickened.

It'll sustain you for a surprisingly long time.

Or if you need to eat it cold, summer sausage and parched corn work well. There's also the corn nuts (I'll have to dig up the recipe again).

Top Bottom