• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I know it's a moot point in a true survival situation, but can you taste the beans in the bread you make, or are they just a protein source?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    For all the non grainers

I didn't have a clue what Spelt was or is :rolleyesedit: So for the nongrainers

What is Spelt?
    SOURCE: Purity Foods

More Than Superior Taste
    Spelt is more than just a nutritious product. The whole grain flour is the perfect answer for those people who want to eat good, tasty whole grain products. Organic, unbleached spelt flour is the same grain with most of the bran (fiber) removed, and nothing added.

Ancient Grain With Modern Day Appeal
    Not to be confused with oats or wheat, spelt is a member of the same grain family but is an entirely different species. It is one of the original seven grains mentioned in the Bible. This 9000 year old grain originated in the Fertile Crescent and over the centuries found its way throughout Europe where it remained a very popular grain for hundreds of years. To Germans it is their beloved "Dinkel" and is now found in a wide variety of foods and beverages from bread to beer. To Italians it is called "Farro" and is found in gourmet soups, pizza crusts, breads and cakes.
    Delicate Kernel Is The Secret
    The secret to spelt's mild flavor and superior performance can be attributed to the tough outer hull protecting the spelt kernel. Unlike common wheat which loses its hull when harvested, spelt kernels have to be transported to a custom processing center to dehull and clean the grain. It is believed that the impervious outer hull allows for the development of a more delicate, water soluble kernel. It also protects the grain from pollutants and insects and enhances the retention of the nutrients in the kernel and improves freshness. Nutrition Value
    Spelt's uniqueness is also derived from its genetic makeup and nutrition profile. Spelt has high water solubility, so the nutrients are easily absorbed by the body. Spelt contains special carbohydrates which are an important factor in blood clotting and stimulating the body's immune system. It is also a superb fiber resource and has large amounts of B-complex vitamins. Total protein content is from 10 to 25% greater than the common varieties of commercial wheat.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Interest8ing that the bran is removed, yet it remains high in fiber content. With wheat, the bran is the fiber. Maybe enough of the bran remains to give it a high fiber content?

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    You caught me! I copied this from another site.
    I plan to order some and try it.
    I just got a grain grinder and I' am in the process of getting some wheat and the Ezekial Mix.
    I plan to spend a good portion of the "Tax Rebate" on Grains and other prep supplies.

OK, so how did it turn out? Would you recommend the Ezekial Mix bread over whole wheat bread types and also eating other legume in addition?

Inquiring minds want to know!

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Karl,
    I had never heard of this bread. Thanks for sharing.

When I reviewed the scriptures (Ezekiel 4:9-17), it seems to prescribe a fixed quantity to be eaten daily (at least for Ezekiel). The portion is 20 shekels a day, which is 8 oz., spread over the day ("from time to time you shall eat it.") That is a pretty small serving! Also he was to drink 1/6 of a hin (21.3 oz.) of water, I assume each day. Maybe the amount of water is significant relative to the bread.

So if he could live on this limited diet for 390 days, it must have been balanced nutrition.

One last instruction: you are supposed to cook this over a cow dung fire. Maybe that is the secret ingredient!

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I know it's a moot point in a true survival situation, but can you taste the beans in the bread you make, or are they just a protein source?

If you want to try how it tastes, you can buy Ezekiel bread at a lot of stores. It is generally kept refrigerated or frozen; I have never seen it in the regular bread aisle.

You can certainly get it at Politically Correct grocery stores like Whole Wallet etc., but I have seen it at regular grocery stores too.

It comes in a yellow/orange plastic bag and says "Ezekiel 47:16" (or whatever the exact verse is).

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    "Whole Wallet"? :D I take it that's the un-PC term for Whole Foods? I've never shopped at a Whole Foods. Bid on wiring one, I think, but never been in one.

Where else might we find Eziekel bread? Trader Whatshisname? Is it like that Hawaiian King bread?

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    "Whole Wallet"? :D I take it that's the un-PC term for Whole Foods? I've never shopped at a Whole Foods. Bid on wiring one, I think, but never been in one.

Where else might we find Eziekel bread? Trader Whatshisname? Is it like that Hawaiian King bread?

hmmm might have to pick some of that up and get my wife to make her spinach dip. Thats is some GOOD EATS!! :yesway: :D

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008

I have seen it in "regular" grocery stores like Marsh and maybe Meijer. It will definitely be in the fridge or freezer section, not on the bread shelf.

It isn't anything at all like Hawaiian King bread. I would characterize HKB as soft and sugary, with very little texture. Ezekiel bread has a very grainy texture and a more complex taste. It really is not like any other bread, but is closer to true multi grain breads.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll have to give it a try. I'm not going to eat beans because I can't stand the taste or the texture, but if it's ground into and mixed with the other stuff, this may be a winner for me.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It would be interesting to see a nutritional comparison of the so-called "Ezekiel mix" against plain old beans & rice (also a complete protein). Beans and rice is simple. Even beans, rice and wheat is simple. I just wonder if there's enough nutritional benefit to the mix to justify the added complication of mixing 8 grains and legumes in proportion and grinding them. Maybe there is. I don't know.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    It would be interesting to see a nutritional comparison of the so-called "Ezekiel mix" against plain old beans & rice (also a complete protein). Beans and rice is simple. Even beans, rice and wheat is simple. I just wonder if there's enough nutritional benefit to the mix to justify the added complication of mixing 8 grains and legumes in proportion and grinding them. Maybe there is. I don't know.

That seems a fair question. Does anyone with this bread at home have the nutritional info from the wrapper that they could share with us please?

Top Bottom