Excuse me, Can I borrow everything you are carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Standing around outside of a bar at 2:30 in the morning.... what could go wrong?

[video=youtube;w5Va2NhikHE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Va2NhikHE[/video]

This is why I'm an ******* to people that approach me in public.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    These are just the grown up versions of the kids running around amusement parks smacking peoples pockets and asking if they've got any change. They've just stopped asking.

A couple of hipsters on the street early am...just asking to have their stuff taken by the feral animals they studiously ignore because of social justice and stuff. In a different environment they would be killed by the bear, or sharks, or weather. Saying to themselves "Couldn't happen to me".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wanted to cross post.....

I think the most important training from this is: Don't stand outside of a bar at 2:30 am.
    Makes all other what-if's moot if you are not there in the first place.
    [PURPLE]
    yeah-if-you-could-just-yeah-if-you-could-stop-victim-blaming-thatd-be-greeeeeat.jpg

[/PURPLE]
    :):

These are just the grown up versions of the kids running around amusement parks smacking peoples pockets and asking if they've got any change. They've just stopped asking.

A couple of hipsters on the street early am...just asking to have their stuff taken by the feral animals they studiously ignore because of social justice and stuff. In a different environment they would be killed by the bear, or sharks, or weather. Saying to themselves "Couldn't happen to me".

SO MUCH THIS!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This is actually something we talk about in my class. The common lead-ups to robberies, why they use them, and how to get ahead of the curve. Hint: If you're not smoking and someone asks for a light, you're about to get robbed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is actually something we talk about in my class. The common lead-ups to robberies, why they use them, and how to get ahead of the curve. Hint: If you're not smoking and someone asks for a light, you're about to get robbed.

We have discussed this.
    People make themselves into targets.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I think that was a well planned attack two woman did the real work with a trigger man.
    I do not think this was the first time or did they rehearse?

I was told by a Detective in Birmingham, AL that the women he encounters with were the most dangerous people he deals with.
    They are cunning incredibly cruel and attack with no warning.
    They often carry razors in several areas?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think that was a well planned attack two woman did the real work with a trigger man.
    I do not think this was the first time or did they rehearse?

I was told by a Detective in Birmingham, AL that the women he encounters with were the most dangerous people he deals with.
    They are cunning incredibly cruel and attack with no warning.
    They often carry razors in several areas?

Wow. Sounds like some of the Chicas south of the Rio Grande.

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    I'm really glad you go over this and hit on it so hard. Some people need to straight-up learn to tell people "Go away, I am not your friend."

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Thank you for pressing this point. Keep reminding us!

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    did the sound work for you guys? It didn't for me. Seems to me like the camera caught the perps pretty good, did they get arrested yet?

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I'm really glad you go over this and hit on it so hard. Some people need to straight-up learn to tell people "Go away, I am not your friend."

I took a class with coach and bbi, f--k off at the top of your lungs is the preferred response. Unarmed a person is always going to be a victim.

PhxCollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2017
    Indiana
    So, what is the best response? Let's assume you are out, not drinking, but your buddy is, and you stay out until 2:30. You are in Indiana and you have your weapon (iwb) and Indiana permit on you. You see the potential threat a few yards out. Nothing, to that point, merits drawing your weapon. When does it? Once bad guy number two draws, it seems too late.

I am a newbie, so what would be the "pro" response? I don't intend to bunker up in my house, so yes, I could be out at 2:30 am leaving a bar.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So, what is the best response? Let's assume you are out, not drinking, but your buddy is, and you stay out until 2:30. You are in Indiana and you have your weapon (iwb) and Indiana permit on you. You see the potential threat a few yards out. Nothing, to that point, merits drawing your weapon. When does it? Once bad guy number two draws, it seems too late.

I am a newbie, so what would be the "pro" response? I don't intend to bunker up in my house, so yes, I could be out at 2:30 am leaving a bar.

LOL just because someone is smart enough to not be at a bar at 2am doesn't mean they are bunkered up in their house. And Indiana doesn't have a gun permit ;)

A good rule of thumb, the gun comes out if you are afraid for your life.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I took a class with coach and bbi, f--k off at the top of your lungs is the preferred response. Unarmed a person is always going to be a victim.

:D

So that's my class he's referencing. It's a bit more nuanced than simply loudly cursing at someone...but it may involve loudly cursing at someone. Just so I don't have to reinvent the wheel with who I am and what I teach: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../436878-defensive-concepts-double-header.html

In short, I've worked a lot of robberies, shootings, and stabbings. I've also put the time in to study the basics of criminal psychology, decision making, behavioral economics, etc. as it applies to this particular arena.

The first thing is you can't act like prey and you can't let them close too much. Being submissive and passive encourages the attacker. Firm response, and if that doesn't work, step it up to straight up rude and loud. Attract attention. Look how close to the door they were. If you can put them back on their heels mentally for a few seconds, you can escape back into the bar and probably avoid the whole thing. Way better than having to shoot someone. You're not risking getting hurt, you're not talking to the police as a shooter, you're not waiting for the civil suit to drop, etc.

So let's say you didn't do that. You didn't see trouble coming, you didn't defuse the situation, you couldn't stall their OODA loop long enough to escape, so you are now at the 14 second mark. It's time to fight. Not the half-measure slapping at the gun. When it's go time, it's all out go time. Speed, surprise, and overwhelming violence. The robber with the gun is using it as a prop. He is not paying attention, he's waving it around, he's obviously not expecting resistance. Especially white hat guy could have drawn and drilled him before armed robber knew what was up. So, skill dependent, draw, get a good hit, move or draw and shoot on the move. Take a scan of the area, create distance, seek cover, or get back in the building depending on what that scan shows you.

Top Bottom