Ever wonder where the metal from your gun comes from?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Which ladders?

I know, any ladder, railing, or anything, near the liquid steel, better wear gloves.
    TRUST ME on that.

Also, the continuous slab before it hits the "cut off" is somewhere around 1,200 deg.
    So the crosswalk over it has a railing that is cooled by water. The railing itself is pipe. And water is constantly piped through it.

Near the quench towers in the Coke Plant, you had to be careful with railings.
    The quench steam was corrosive, and would rot the railings.
    So, before you relied on the railing, you would grab it and yank, as a test.
    When I was a new guy, I asked an older guy why some of the chains that crossed to keep you from falling down a ladder hole were different. Some looked like the chain you'd lock up your bicycle with, and some would look like it was made of wire. The older guy told me, the bicycle chain was new, and the wire chain was the SAME, only 1 year older.
    Sorry i meant laddel. U answered it though with the masonry.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Before I even left school I decided no foundries, mills, mines, or heavily chemical reliant plants. The processes are all exciting and there would be plenty of fun things to tinker on, but I have not regretted the decision.

I did a few years in a tire factory and 140F was plenty for me. Act with his air conditioned shop. :laugh: 90F was the air conditioning in my area when I wasn't in the plant. Ugh...

Act...I'll never forget the time at a shoot when @chezuki looked you in the eye completely straight faced and said, "wait...you work in a steel mill?"

Next you're gonna tell me he was on a submarine. You guys and your tales around here, I tell ya... :rolleyes:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Before I even left school I decided no foundries, mills, mines, or heavily chemical reliant plants. The processes are all exciting and there would be plenty of fun things to tinker on, but I have not regretted the decision.

I did a few years in a tire factory and 140F was plenty for me. Act with his air conditioned shop. :laugh: 90F was the air conditioning in my area when I wasn't in the plant. Ugh...

Next you're gonna tell me he was on a submarine. You guys and your tales around here, I tell ya... :rolleyes:

I decided I didn't want to work in a steel mill.
    So.. I joined the Navy.
    I guess that didn't work so well.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    The neat thing about the masonry they put in the ladles, furnaces and the coke ovens is how much it expands when heated. The gap is huge until they heat it up. When the coke plant I worked at was in startup the steel rods that tie the vertical support beams together were about a foot above the battery top before they started heating it up. We would measure and adjust the tension on the rods as the battery expanded during startup. The same type of expansion took place when they relined a ladle or a furnace.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's nice to know the desire to stand close to something that can apparently maim or kill you for the purposes of getting footage to upload to YouTube is an international phenomenon. :D

There are guys that did stuff like that before the internet.
    They are the ones that get squashed, looking surprised.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    It's nice to know the desire to stand close to something that can apparently maim or kill you for the purposes of getting footage to upload to YouTube is an international phenomenon. :D

I'm pretty sure the Russians are still the international champs.

Comet falling from the sky? Why would I slow down? Vodka ain't delivering itself, and it's borscht night.

Their trucker songs suuuuuuuck though. 'Murica #1

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    It's cool to know there are other mill guys on the forum honestly. I have a great video of our 40,000# air melt furnace where we had the alloy go through the ceramic wall and out. The alloy destroyed all of the motors and wiring harnesses underneath the furnace. That was definitely a fun night at work telling the firefighters that showed up not to put water on it as we had Mg in the furnace and didn't want a big ass boom that night :abused:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Here's a photo I found by googling "work roll spall"

a-Overall-view-of-failed-roll-b-c-View-of-spalled-region-d-f-View-of_Q320.jpg

The rolls we use are 2 feet in diameter give or take. Some of these chunks are as wide as a dinner plate and several times thick, or bigger, and sharp enough to cut kevlar gloves.

They can weigh tens or hundreds of pounds and when they decided to blow, it can be catastrophic. It's shrapnel basically. There are said to be holes in the roof from this.

When this happens they pull it out of the mill and put a thick steel "spall box" over it to contain it and they move it to a storage area for a few days because it can continue to fly apart. When it blows in the box, it sounds like someone full force smashing plates on the ground. I thankfully have not been present for an uncontained spall.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Man - those huge rollers have a certain service life, I'm sure.

I think it'd be neat to have a bunch of 1911s made out of one of those once decommissioned. I'm sure they're just recycled, though.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Man - those huge rollers have a certain service life, I'm sure.

I think it'd be neat to have a bunch of 1911s made out of one of those once decommissioned. I'm sure they're just recycled, though.
    Inland used to have a roll shop that reconditioned the rolls, don't know if they still do or if they send them out now. They would even have welders resurface some of the rolls (usually the smaller ones) then send them to a machinist who would turn them. Some of the bigger rolls just got turned to make a clean usable surface until they got too small. I worked for a while removing the bearings and any drive couplings and cleaning the rolls before they got sent to the machinist and then installing new bearings and couplings before we sent them back out.

After the abuse the rolls take I'm not sure whether they would be any good for anything. Those rolls get an enormous amount of both heat and pressure.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's cool to know there are other mill guys on the forum honestly. I have a great video of our 40,000# air melt furnace where we had the alloy go through the ceramic wall and out. The alloy destroyed all of the motors and wiring harnesses underneath the furnace. That was definitely a fun night at work telling the firefighters that showed up not to put water on it as we had Mg in the furnace and didn't want a big ass boom that night :abused:
    Feel free to post it, if you want

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Very interesting. I have never been in a steel mill, but one of my suppliers a few yrs back was Olin Brass. My supplier gave me a tour of their brass foundry. I got to see from raw ingredients to the finished stamping of the shell casing.

Top Bottom