• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think less pollution is better than more pollution, and I know that DPFs and Urea Injection make automotive Diesel engines pollute less...regardless of the politics surrounding climate change.
    Pollute less, maybe? What does it do to fuel efficiency (I don't know)? They want you to play by their rules. If you don't, they won't hesitate to put you out of business. My point is that these regulatory agencies often say "jump" and you seem to only ask "how high".

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If LG's in the business of modifying diesel trucks so adolescent Indiana boys who don't know how to work on their own vehicles can roll coal on people, I'm a three-time Trump voter who would be pleased to see the gubmint put their boot on his neck.

They're not putting him out of business. They're just telling him he needs to stick to installing big speakers and neon lights in Jetta Knight's Jetta.
    Yes because rolling coal is the only legitimate reason to modify your $80,000 truck. Not so it will have the power it was designed to have, get better efficiency, cost less to maintain, only have one ****ing tank to fill up and not have to pay $6000 to replace the ****** emissions bandaid these morons dictated every two years.

I'm a Trump voter who would be pleased to see the government stopping breaking it off in my ass every which way from Sunday every chance they get.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can't wait until the EPA brings back the maximum 55mph speed limits across the nation so we'll all burn less fuel. The same agency that wants to ban gas stoves ain't gettin me on their side of any argument. I don't wallow in **** with pigs.
    But... less pollution is more gooder... 'n stuff. And keeping guns out of the hands of lawful citizens will make bad guys stop doing bad guy stuff. And girls will be boys and boys will be girls... Come to think of it, are there any ideas that the left comes up with that aren't just brilliant ideas??

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Are the citizens of China, India and Russia as lucky as we are here to have their governments tag on tens of thousands of dollars to their operating costs "to save the planet"? I've heard they know a thing or two about burnin diesel, I'm sure they're cleaner about it than we are.

What am I saying? I'm sure they are. I'm sure our efforts here are being matched around the globe and we're all going to benefit from these sacrifices we're making. Right?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Dude. Stop. Do you really think I haven’t though through the implications of more rigorous regulations on my corner of the market? They don’t want me out of business, they want me to play by the rules...It wasn’t legal before, only unenforced.

I think less pollution is better than more pollution, and I know that DPFs and Urea Injection make automotive Diesel engines pollute less...regardless of the politics surrounding climate change.

Airbags and Center High-Mount Stop Lamps (CHMSLs) are federally-mandated safety equipment. If I tamper with those systems I am liable for any damages that result…the same is true for federally-mandated pollution control equipment as well, even if it was never enforced before.
    OK legitimate question here; what is less pollution and better for the environment - 200 gallons of diesel and 20 gallons of DEF or 125 gallons of diesel, doing the exact same identical work before and after. ? This is the literal, day after day results my friend got.

You're gonna have to come with some pretty good arguments to convince me that making, transporting and burning an extra 75 gallons a day is the "environmentally friendly" way.

BTW no smoke either. Rolling coal is for idiots, for the most part. Not that I haven't done my fair share.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    A dear friend of mine runs a tugboat. It has two 16 cylinder Cats in the basement and burns four gallons a mile, no def required. Now picture the container ships bringing all our plastic crap from China, and tell me again why the epa cares about work trucks. I'll tell you why, cuz they like their emissions far away and out of sight, like the coal fired power plants that create their precious electricity for their cars. If they had to shovel coal to get to work every day they'd love gasoline.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Deleting does not equal rolling coal. A properly deleted and tuned truck will let some smoke out (nowhere near rolling coal) when you're hard on the throttle but rolling coal is either a garbage tune, an intentional tune for that purpose or a chunk of garbage getting ready to take a dump.

Dump more fuel into the cylinders than can be burned and you get smoke. It's a waste of fuel and I'm as impressed by it as I am by a Japanese 4 cylinder with wheels almost horizontal sitting 3 inches off the ground and screaming around with their fart in a tuna can exhaust systems.

It is far and away more practical to delete and tune a diesel truck than not, and we're not talking about $250 and a few hours with your cousin in the driveway to do it right. That is the crux of the issue.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think less pollution is better than more pollution, and I know that DPFs and Urea Injection make automotive Diesel engines pollute less...
    And run poorly, and cost more, and have less power, and get lesser fuel efficiency and break down more frequently. Politics aside, it's a **** solution to an overblown problem being dealt with in nearly the least possible effective way.

It's more than clear that there are quite a few people who know very little about this topic. I'd love for there to be less pollution, I'm 100% in favor of viable measures to reduce harmful emissions.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    And run poorly, and cost more, and have less power, and get lesser fuel efficiency and break down more frequently. Politics aside, it's a **** solution to an overblown problem being dealt with in nearly the least possible effective way.

It's more than clear that there are quite a few people who know very little about this topic. I'd love for there to be less pollution, I'm 100% in favor of viable measures to reduce harmful emissions.
    This is not to mention how many trucks are broken down on the side of the road these days due to emissions stuff “failing” and shutting the truck down. Lost productivity, higher costs on all fronts, and a danger to everyone on the road.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    But, but, but, the environment.

Usually said by ignoramuses that know nothing of how any of this works.

If you cannot explain how an internal combustion engine works STFU…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Dude. Stop. Do you really think I haven’t though through the implications of more rigorous regulations on my corner of the market? They don’t want me out of business, they want me to play by the rules...It wasn’t legal before, only unenforced.

Airbags and Center High-Mount Stop Lamps (CHMSLs) are federally-mandated safety equipment. If I tamper with those systems I am liable for any damages that result…the same is true for federally-mandated pollution control equipment as well, even if it was never enforced before.
    Sounds like something said by sheeple that follow what TPTB foist on them…

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I sold my Ram/Cummins the year Joe was elected, figured it was just a matter of time. The EPA war on diesel has been going on for a while, but I rememeber years past when car manufacturers were so convinced it was the future they were trying to convert gasoline blocks over.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I sold my Ram/Cummins the year Joe was elected, figured it was just a matter of time. The EPA war on diesel has been going on for a while, but I rememeber years past when car manufacturers were so convinced it was the future they were trying to convert gasoline blocks over.
    Gone looking for my “if you sell your Cummins they win” meme ;)

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    No, they're mainly going after companies making and installing the delete devices, not the end users. At least not yet.

I'm not sure why this is a surprise in to anyone? There are emissions regulations in place that truck manufacturers need to meet. We don't need to agree with it, but the delete devices blatantly flout the law.

This would be like the ATF going after companies making and selling auto sears. It ain't legal.
    Now do incandescent light bulbs.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yeah, almost all of the larger diesel emissions equipment is designed to lower nox and catch particulates. Once the particulate filter gets "full", the engine runs "regen cycles" to burn out those particulates. So they still enter the air, just at different times... kinda like GM adding A.I.R. pumps to gas engines. Makes it look better but not really doing anything.

Fun fact... a lot of large trucks use fuel to "cool" the EGR down while running. The problem with that is diesel fuel doesn't like being heated. Doing so causes the asphaltines in the fuel to clump up, clogging fuel filters and injectors and burns less efficiently. So now these "fixes" are making the engines run even worse and even less efficient.

Top Bottom