• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In the past two years, the Environmental Protection Agency has fined companies millions of dollars across the U.S. for installing illegal mechanisms that bypass vehicle emission controls known as "defeat devices."

“More than 500,000 diesel pickup trucks in the United States – approximately 15% of U.S. diesel trucks that were originally certified with emissions controls – have been illegally deleted” according to the EPA.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Not sure what they expect. When you put ridiculously expensive equipment on an already ridiculously expensive vehicle and that equipment is prone to failure, expensive to repair, costly to maintain and reduces the power of the vehicle you should be wise enough to expect people to tell you to shove it and get the value out of their purchase.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sounds like the FBI will have another group of criminals to incarcerate. Do federal prisons have room for an additional half million?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Tha Fedz putting coal-rollers in jail?

Meh.
    No, they're mainly going after companies making and installing the delete devices, not the end users. At least not yet.

I'm not sure why this is a surprise in to anyone? There are emissions regulations in place that truck manufacturers need to meet. We don't need to agree with it, but the delete devices blatantly flout the law.

This would be like the ATF going after companies making and selling auto sears. It ain't legal.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have heard about some of the truck performance shops being fined for tuning the trucks past the EPA specs. I think this is a threat that is already in action.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No, they're mainly going after companies making and installing the delete devices, not the end users. At least not yet.

I'm not sure why this is a surprise in to anyone? There are emissions regulations in place that truck manufacturers need to meet. We don't need to agree with it, but the delete devices blatantly flout the law.

This would be like the ATF going after companies making and selling auto sears. It ain't legal.
    Just general comments to all. That does not sound like freedom to me. So basically it will soon be illegal to have a tuner or anything beyond a factory vehicle.

And please, skip the it’s not illegal, just illegal to manufacture the parts. Government is still stopping it…

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    That does not sound like freedom to me.
    I don't disagree, but it's something that needs to be taken up with the legislature. This isn't the result of some creative rule making the Biden Regime is known for. It's codified law as far as I know.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Manufacturers have to, the purchaser has no such obligation. This is straight up over reach.

What's next not allowed to change or delete the radio, can't put different tires on it. Foot in the door and they will continue to try and push more.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    It isn’t just trucks.

I won’t hang ”off-road use” parts on any car with a current registration...it’s just too much risk now.

Downpipes, turbo kits, and V8 swaps have all gotten reputable shops into hot water in the last year. It sucks…I work on race cars all the time, now I’m leery of installing new upgrades on anything that might get street driven.

One strike could put me out of business.

Lpherr

Occupied
    It isn't going to matter in a few years... when everything is electric, and AI removes the driver from the equation.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It isn’t just trucks.

I won’t hang ”off-road use” parts on any car with a current registration...it’s just too much risk now.

Downpipes, turbo kits, and V8 swaps have all gotten reputable shops into hot water in the last year. It sucks…I work on race cars all the time, now I’m leery of installing new upgrades on anything that might get street driven.

One strike could put me out of business.
    It seems that these regulations, and support for them, only come from one side of the political spectrum. So why do you still associate with that side? They want you out of business. That doesn't bother you?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It seems that these regulations, and support for them, only come from one side of the political spectrum. So why do you still associate with that side? They want you out of business. That doesn't bother you?
    If LG's in the business of modifying diesel trucks so adolescent Indiana boys who don't know how to work on their own vehicles can roll coal on people, I'm a three-time Trump voter who would be pleased to see the gubmint put their boot on his neck.

They're not putting him out of business. They're just telling him he needs to stick to installing big speakers and neon lights in Jetta Knight's Jetta.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    My daughter works for a reputable diesel shop, they have been crawled through literally by the 3 letter alphabet. They refuse to touch a deleted truck for fear they will be implicated and have to defend themselves at a loss for work done. It’s sad

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis

Dude. Stop. Do you really think I haven’t though through the implications of more rigorous regulations on my corner of the market? They don’t want me out of business, they want me to play by the rules...It wasn’t legal before, only unenforced.

I think less pollution is better than more pollution, and I know that DPFs and Urea Injection make automotive Diesel engines pollute less...regardless of the politics surrounding climate change.

Airbags and Center High-Mount Stop Lamps (CHMSLs) are federally-mandated safety equipment. If I tamper with those systems I am liable for any damages that result…the same is true for federally-mandated pollution control equipment as well, even if it was never enforced before.

Top Bottom