• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gaterboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2019
    Bloomfield
    Anyone building their own EMP box (faraday cage) or keep supplies around to make them if given time? Anyone thought what maybe the most important things to place in them?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My old man calls this our EMP proof vehicle fleet...;)

shKdk4yl.jpg

LoLXTmal.jpg

UbXrVl7l.jpg

A5zUngNl.jpg

Dan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Warsaw
    I don’t have much of anything that wouldn’t be affected by an emp. Anyone here have suggestions on DIY faraday shielding?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Dr. Arthur Bradley is an excellent resource for that. He has a YouTube channel that explains EMPs, Faraday cages and various protection materials from EMP bags to aluminum garbage cans.

disasterprepper

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    It is actually a unique thread and easy to find. It just doesn't have a lot of daily chatter, unlike the Wuhan coronavirus and BLM/SJW/riot topics.

Dan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Warsaw
    Thanks for the info, I’ll look into it. Ive seen the faraday bags before and picked a few up, always wondered if they would be very effective though and didn’t want to rely on them solely.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I don’t have much of anything that wouldn’t be affected by an emp. Anyone here have suggestions on DIY faraday shielding?
    Popcorn tin? ...the kind with a tight-sealing all metal lid, of course.

Ammo cans seem a maybe. The rubber seal is what makes me wonder, though there is solid metal-to-metal contact from lid to bottom via the hinge and latch.

Altrex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2021
    With all the threads on INGO, how is it that newbies find and resurrect this one? :dunno:
    It's funny, this topic has me the most interested compared to everything I have seen here so far. Have not found its like in any other forums I am in. Looks like I am bringing it back to life after 8 months lol. Have to go through and read all the posts but from what i scanned it did not look like CMI (Corona mass injection) had been mentioned. I think that is a higher probability over an emp with the same outcome.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Actual Electrical Engineers Chime In...
    Notice both a full on nuclear detonation,
    AND the EMP INDUCES high voltages on long standing power lines?

This part IS NOT science fiction.

You might also notice the Defense Department is correct...

Since local mini-power grids,
    Both wind turbine & solar,
    Have almost ZERO chance of being effected.

Magnetic Pulse doesn't effect a solar panel in any way, conductive electrical runs aren't long enough to be acted upon...
    The current from panels to inverters/batteries are in Direct Current, no flux to be interrupted,
    And those wire runs are typically too short to induce any surge in.

Wind turbines are hit by lightening regularly (shielded) and most of the wiring is buried shielding it from EMP.

The DOD viewed EMP as the "Boogy Man" for decades, spent BILLIONS on research, and have it pretty well figured out.

There are literally mountains of white papers written on the subject available.
    Basic education on the electromagnetic link will let you prove this to yourself.

One of the biggest science fiction lies is batteries will be effected.
    Batteries store energy CHEMICALLY.
    Unless you think the Boogy Man is going to eat your batteries, then they are safe...
    Electrical energy makes an electro-chemical reaction in the battery,
    The energy is stored in chemical form.
    When demand happens, the battery converts from chemical to electrical energy.
    This is the reason lead/acid batteries are so inefficient, 2 electro-chemical processes consume a lot of the power you are trying to store.

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    As to the OP's original post,

Hand cranked sock knitters, (which I may or may not have attached a motor to since I can't leave anything alone)... IMG_1719.JPG

Snazzy socks! The little woman is creative!

SameYarnDifCyl.jpg

Sewing machines that will sew through the sides of tin cans, heavy leather & canvas...
    Hand cranked, foot treadle or electric motor operated...

IMG_1655.JPG

How about battery powered reloading at 3,000/hour if necessary....

b2315288-65f3-4e02-9fb2-c195cfd69187-original (1).jpg

IMG_1189.JPG

This doesn't include all the grinders, juicers and other food prep equipment from the last century...

Mix that with a truck load of extra solar panels, and a truck load of extra inverters & hardware....

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

Notice this stuff is modular/portable and can move.
    We do yarn craft shows, I do brass reconditioning in the road for shooting clubs, all the canning stuff can hit the road in as fast as it takes to load it...

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am currently trying to find points distributor and associated parts for my 85 ramcharger.
    In addition to stock Mopar pieces, don't forget to look for an old ACCEL dual point distributors. They made them for big blocks and small block Mopars. I have an inline 6 and small block V8 chevy distributors and coils stashed just in case, but fuel will probably dry up pretty quick by that time. I guess a 6 foot length of siphon hose should be with the MadMax survival car.

Top Bottom