• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    Couldn't hurt to have an extra, along with extras for all wear items.

Extra parts are sometimes not given much thought, but should definitely be considered needs. Also, service manuals and a common knowledge of how to repair your vehicle.
    Having a physical service manual is so important. Seems they aren't as available for modern cars, but all my classics Ive had I always found one or two to keep in the trunk.

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    just some thoughts from my limited studies and preps...

pre 84 fords generally
    pre 82 chevy generally
    were carbureted and lack central brake, fuel, ignition, transmission, and emission management systems. basically they are dumb enough that dropping an emp on them may cook the radio and some other electronics like power window relays, but the overall vehicle should still function effectively as means of transport.

Basic faraday cages are pretty straight forward. Metal trash can from Menards, line that bad boy with some cardboard and you got yourself a basic emp proof trash can. I have one out in my barn with a few old (still functional) MacBooks, 12v dc inverters, junky hand held ham radios, and my most prized possession, an old iPhone 4s that hasn't been connected to the internet in 8 or so years and still has the original flappy bird game installed lol. I also bought an 8TB hard drive from amazon for a couple hundred bucks and loaded it up with tv shows, movies, music (all from the public domain), and how to guides (ranging from hydroponics to trauma surgery). It took me a couple months of working on downloading stuff for an hour or so each night so not super fast process but who knows, hopefully it was just me wasting time.

I also bought one of those little stand alone ice makers. The thought being i could power it off any old piece of junk i got with a battery ie. lawnmower, honda three wheeler, atv, even my snowblower has electric start and any of that could take my little 1000w inverter plug in the ice maker and boom, you got ice. From there i just keep my big yeti cooler topped up by making ice for a couple hours every other day and i can essentially make a redneck fridge for an extended period of time.

I have a few solar panels but i wouldn't consider those a prep because even if the panels are not affected by an emp, the charge controller certainly would be and the panels are basically useless without that

Other than that, its basically just prepping for the possibility of zero power for extended periods of time.

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    just some thoughts from my limited studies and preps...

pre 84 fords generally
    pre 82 chevy generally
    were carbureted and lack central brake, fuel, ignition, transmission, and emission management systems. basically they are dumb enough that dropping an emp on them may cook the radio and some other electronics like power window relays, but the overall vehicle should still function effectively as means of transport.

Basic faraday cages are pretty straight forward. Metal trash can from Menards, line that bad boy with some cardboard and you got yourself a basic emp proof trash can. I have one out in my barn with a few old (still functional) MacBooks, 12v dc inverters, junky hand held ham radios, and my most prized possession, an old iPhone 4s that hasn't been connected to the internet in 8 or so years and still has the original flappy bird game installed lol. I also bought an 8TB hard drive from amazon for a couple hundred bucks and loaded it up with tv shows, movies, music (all from the public domain), and how to guides (ranging from hydroponics to trauma surgery). It took me a couple months of working on downloading stuff for an hour or so each night so not super fast process but who knows, hopefully it was just me wasting time.

I also bought one of those little stand alone ice makers. The thought being i could power it off any old piece of junk i got with a battery ie. lawnmower, honda three wheeler, atv, even my snowblower has electric start and any of that could take my little 1000w inverter plug in the ice maker and boom, you got ice. From there i just keep my big yeti cooler topped up by making ice for a couple hours every other day and i can essentially make a redneck fridge for an extended period of time.

I have a few solar panels but i wouldn't consider those a prep because even if the panels are not affected by an emp, the charge controller certainly would be and the panels are basically useless without that

Other than that, its basically just prepping for the possibility of zero power for extended periods of time.
    to clarify, the redneck freezer is so i dont lose my northern pike, rainbow trout, venison, and elk. if thats wasted then i may as well just start digging a hole and crawl in. life without elk just simply isnt worth living

BravoOneFour

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    kokomo
    EMP shield is currently running a 10% off sale, and if you use the Bards FM podcast promo code "BARDS" you can get an additional 10% off for a total of 20% off.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I said the same thing, but clearly you took the time to go over notes on “how to code” it’s the things I’m least interested in, I found I need to learn the most
    Nope, don’t know squat about coding. But I do know how to read. That and I’m a big history nut. Please note the text is purple.

:wavey:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Nope, don’t know squat about coding. But I do know how to read. That and I’m a big history nut. Please note the text is purple.

:wavey:
    Just in case you missed this post, being new and all. Its in the intro thread stickies, but some miss it.
    (Purple here means it was a sarcastic comment. No worries. its a quirk of INGO. )

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Just in case you missed this post, being new and all. Its in the intro thread stickies, but some miss it.
    (Purple here means it was a sarcastic comment. No worries. its a quirk of INGO. )

Um, yes my statement was meant to be sarcasm, that’s why it’s purple, maybe I misunderstood something else. Sorry if I crossed a line. :dunno:

And, just because I’m relatively new to INGO doesn’t mean I’m new to the world. Respectfully.

As said context is somewhat difficult in print, particularly if one subject (individual) doesn’t know the other subject. Again sorry if I made some (to me) imperceptible mistake.

Salmonslice

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Well I wasn’t sure if the : before and after was supposed to activate a emoji? Or it’s just not working on my phone that maybe you have to be on a browser ?

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Couldn’t say, don’t know. Don’t own a smart phone or log on to INGO from my computer. Just this very old I pad, that is ….for the moment running directly from the wall socket. My battery is fried. Haven’t gotten to a town that can replace the bat.

Top Bottom