• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Man, I can't stop thinking about MRE peanut butter.

Disclosure: I am a peanut butter addict.

Back in the 1970s, I had relatives in California who got assistance from the gov't in the form of food. When they'd get a #10 can of gov't issue peanut butter, they'd send it to me because they didn't like it. The stuff was awesome ... all gritty and sweet like the inside of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

I'd like to think the MRE peanut butter is similar, but it's probably more like real peanut butter. That's not bad, but just not the same.

What's the real shelf life of a packet of MRE peanute butter? Indefinite as long as the package remains intact? What's the life expectency of an unopened jar of JIF? Too bad no one cans peanut butter commercially.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    This isn't GI, is it? I thought they could no longer sell military or government as of a number of years ago, and so private companies are taking over production for demand?

This stuff doesn't look like it has the concentrated calories of the military stuff...?

Josh <><

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Ahhh MRE peanut butter. It's probably pretty good to have on hand. It's packed with nutrients and heavily fortified with vitamins.

Yes and add some bug repellent juice to it and stir to mix... and you have a damn fine Sterno like heat source. In case you wanted to heat up something else rather than eating peanut butter. :thumbsup:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Emergency Essentials has so many great deals - not just food.
    Did any of you request the catalog? Best way to make sure you don't miss any of the great deals. Having a hard copy to carry around is a great way to get others involved. The more that get into it, the more secure we all will be.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can now testify that the current version of MRE peanut butter is freakin' good.

Each packet contains 1.5 oz, which is 250 Cal, 10g protein, 10g carbohydrates, 21g fat. If you're under a lot of physical stress, it would ideal food, especially in cold weather when you need significant amounts of fat on a regular basis. It also has Vitamins C, A, B6, and B1 added to complement the existing nutrients.

Does anyone know how to interpret the date coding on these things? The one I have in front of me is stamped with "72157TP," with no other markings indicating date or lot number.

I'm guessing the shelf life is guaranteed ten years, but of course we don't know when this was made. I suspect it will remain edible indefinitely as long as the package is not damaged and its stored at temperatures that humans can tolerate.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...Does anyone know how to interpret the date coding on these things? The one I have in front of me is stamped with "72157TP," with no other markings indicating date or lot number....
    I'd call that Jan. 5, 1972 as a canning date, and the warning that you'll need TP in about 7 days.

Just kidding, I don't have a clue what that stamping means. :D

Blessings,
    B

Unoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Nice find. I need to stock up on water, canned BACON, and peanut butter, with maybe 2 cases of MREs for when I go on zombie hunts.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I find it impossible to stock up on bacon. It never stays uneaten long enough to become "stock".

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm probably not supposed to post messages in this topic, but the peanut butter is really good in my opinion. This is coming from a certified Peanut Butter Expert, mind you. I can and sometimes do live on the stuff (usually JIF).

The MRE peanut butter has come a long way from the old C-rat peanut butter, which is both good and bad. The newer stuff is very much like the commerical peanut butters you get from the store in jars. The old stuff was gritty with a lot more sugar, so it was a lot like the peanut butter inside of Reese's Peanute Butter Cups. Some people hated it, but I liked it.

Since I acquired my now dwindling supply, I have spoken to quite a few people who have either tried or eaten quite a bit of it. One fellow was in the army in Iraq and had to eat it every day he was there (in his MRE naturally), so he will no longer eat peanut butter of any kind. According to him and other reports, the vintage of MRE peanut butter would separate into the solid parts and the oil, and no amount of kneading would do much to mix it together.

With the current stuff I have, I have experienced no problems with separation. A couple of squeezes and it's like opening a new jar of Skippy or Peter Pan. Now, the heat in Iraq and age may play a significant role, but I suspect the current contractor who supplies it has a different recipe, and is probably packaging some name or generic brand in packets for the government's use.

If you like peanut butter (enough to eat it "straight"), I can't think of a more compact, more useful snack to carry. You get energy, protein, fat, electrolytes, etc.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    With the current stuff I have, I have experienced no problems with separation.

I've noticed the all-natural peanut butters I've bought tend to separate a lot. I think you're right about the recipe as some seem to mix back and some don't.

While we're on the subject, I highly recommend Harry & David banana flavored peanut butter. It's expensive, but it's awesome. Even better in a PB&J with strawberry preserves. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom