• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So all of our outlets in the living room stopped working, breaker was tripped. So I started at the first outlet replaced any that looked questionable. Then I got to the 3rd from the last if I leave the feed wire to the following outlets disconnected the 4 outlets function normally. If I hook up the feed wire to the next outlet it trips breaker.

So I am not an electrician but to me it seems like there must be a short to ground on that feed wire? As all the outlets downstream are disconnected. Does this seem logical or am I off or missing something? Is it possible that a critter may have chewed the insulation or something.

Thanks

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So all of our outlets in the living room stopped working, breaker was tripped. So I started at the first outlet replaced any that looked questionable. Then I got to the 3rd from the last if I leave the feed wire to the following outlets disconnected the 4 outlets function normally. If I hook up the feed wire to the next outlet it trips breaker.

So I am not an electrician but to me it seems like there must be a short to ground on that feed wire? As all the outlets downstream are disconnected. Does this seem logical or am I off or missing something? Is it possible that a critter may have chewed the insulation or something.

Thanks
    That is logical.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If the feed is truly powered down, you could ohm the conductors to each other. Don’t stick an ohmmeter on an energized conductor!

Reactions: Leo

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So if as I am thinking it is shorted to ground then there would be almost no resistance?
    Correct. The black wire should show very high resistance to white and green. The white and green will show very low resistance to each other.

Reactions: Leo

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Where you have the wire off leaving the working outlet, do a continuity check from black to ground/black to white. Unhook all of the wires from the remaining outlets. Every time there is no continuity hook up the next outlet until you find which one is giving you the short. Old wires are easily shorted by box connectors. So be on the lookout.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    All it means is the short is past where you opened the circuit -- it could be the next one or the last one

Open the circuit anywhere before the problem outlet- and outlets before will work correctly

indytiger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Posted in the help wanted section for anyone who might be willing tackle a project. No rush preferred, just done correctly and safely.
    If interested check that thread out please.

OP, sounds like a short, if end of line it's that outlet. Those receptacles why does one wonders this one is $1.29 and this one is 3.89 why. It's not the looks. One weighs more why, you pay for the most more important thing no one was hurt or it caused a fire.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Correct. The black wire should show very high resistance to white and green. The white and green will show very low resistance to each other.
    So if all hot wires are disconnected at the next outlet and I connect the feed wire to ot let ahead of it it must be before that outlet? The feed wire which appears white is black as they must have sprayed the white wall primer all over everything.

744DA764-EE89-481D-9574-AB6285287E62.jpeg C6009885-33DB-44ED-8A4D-79F072952D1E.jpeg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So if all hot wires are disconnected at the next outlet and I connect the feed wire to ot let ahead of it it must be before that outlet? The feed wire which appears white is black as they must have sprayed the white wall primer all over everything.

View attachment 207744 View attachment 207745
    Hopefully, this answers your question…

1656084550945.jpeg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So I got in crawl space, thankfully it’s about 4 feet so there is that. Wire was chewed.

so would it make the most sense to just replace that whole section of wire between the two outlets( meaning run all new Romex) and running them into the outlet box in question .
    That’s what I’d do. Did you find a dead critter nearby? :)

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    You need to confirm what is legal in the state Electrical Code

I know just Splicing where the chewed part is - is NOT legal ( No hidden joints between boxes )

so a new run of Romex between them is best

While you have the chewed section exposed so the wires no longer touch -- did the short clear at the Outlet ?
    i.e. no other chewed sections further down the circuit

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    You need to confirm what is legal in the state Electrical Code

I know just Splicing where the chewed part is - is NOT legal ( No hidden joints between boxes )

so a new run of Romex between them is best

While you have the chewed section exposed so the wires no longer touch -- did the short clear at the Outlet ?
    i.e. no other chewed sections further down the circuit
    yes. I am not a big fan of short cuts. So I am going to run a new section of wire along the bottom plate. Since the section is not that long I am going to run it through conduit just to be on the safe side.

Top Bottom