• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We are in the process of having new siding put on the barn. Unfortunately a section of the barn exterior is accessible by the horses and while they haven't torn up what's there now too badly I don't want them to tear up the new stuff. I don't want to try to set posts near the existing posts, they've been there a long time with questionable drainage at times so I'm not tempting fate there. The only thing I can think of is to run a hot wire (or 2, 3?) along the exterior of the barn where it is exposed. It looks like many of the isolators they make for wooden posts would secure just fine to the barn.

Curious if this is a bad idea by way of me missing something? If there is a better/easier solution I'd be open to hearing it but funds are tapped with the work we've already got underway so it's going to have to be affordable.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    All i got to offer is they hurt like heck when you touch one, especially if you are standing in ankle deep water when you do.
    Oh I'm familiar. Learned a valuable lesson about asking landowners the whereabouts of any hot lines before wandering onto their land lol. I've been hit more times than I'd care to remember but the funniest was my hunting partner.

Turkey hunting we rolled up around 4:30am to the cattle farm we used to hunt. We get out quietly and as is pretty normal he informs me he's gotta drop somethin off in the dark. He wandered back down the drive along the fence into the dark and a few seconds later I hear TZZZTT!!! POP! OWWW!!! I was crying for the next two and a half hours off and on, by the time we finished hunting I though I'd broken a rib laughing.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    One time when I was a teenager fishing a pond that was flooded out of the banks. Standing in ankle deep water wearing short pants, I saw the wire but didn’t know it was electric. When I went to cast both of my knees hit it the same time, I thought someone hit me with a sledgehammer. My legs hurt the rest of the day. That was the worse one I have ever experienced
    Sorry to hijack your thread. Now back to giving phylodog some useful advice

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Horses are relatively easy to train to hot wire, if the wire is keeping them from the barn though they associate the barn with the shock when you try to put them in the barn. Years past we fenced horses with one wire and it worked very well.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Horses are relatively easy to train to hot wire, if the wire is keeping them from the barn though they associate the barn with the shock when you try to put them in the barn. Years past we fenced horses with one wire and it worked very well.
    We've got full woven wire fence up everywhere except right along the barn. I'm not sure anything would keep these critters outta that barn if they think there's grain in their buckets lol.

Top Bottom