• RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    There are 2 things I've never done.
    If I am scared of them too much, then I have no business being around them and can't focus on the task at hand.
    1) Motorcycles
    2) Chainsaws

Living in the country, I'm continually running into trees and limbs that need cutting. To date, I've used a sawzall with wood cutting (deep tooth) blade about 12" or so? But I am running into trees falling down and such that require a bit more oomph, and am tired of asking friends to help.

My thought is to pickup a slightly larger electric option that can handle the job. My thinking is it's less dangerous as some gas models out there. Maybe I am wrong, hence my post here.

Corded vs battery? Unsure. With battery, it will be great until 4 years from now when I need to buy a new battery. I have a genny. I'd lean toward corded and suck it up (having bought new drills every 6 years because it was cheaper than buying new batteries).

I would use this maybe once a year for larger limbs and small tress (12"+ diameter limbs/trees). I do not anticipate cutting down any 20"+ diam tree trunks and such. I dont anticipate taking down any standing trees. Generally deal with one that have fallen or broken.

Thoughts? Is electric safer than gas? Am I worrying too much?
    Noob perspective is appreciated.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Electric isn't really safer than gas IMO. Chaps will stop a gas saw but not an electric. Electrics have cords to keep track of and are often underpowered and sized. Conversely, gas saws are heavier and can generate more kickback if misused.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I know very little about chainsaws so take this with a grain of salt.

The 3 or 4 different electric chainsaws I have used left a lot to be desired. Only one of them was better than my Sawzall. I would guess they might be a little safer as far as torque is concerned. If it catches, it may not kick as hard. I just made that up but based it on my use of electric vs gas on other things.

I bought my first gas chainsaw this past year. I opted for the Stihl ms260 pro. It has been amazing. It has already paid for itself in the time saved over a Sawzall or getting my neighbor to come help and paying in dinners and beers (after the cutting is done of course). I have only used the milder chain. I believe they are called anti kickback or something. From what I can deduce, they have more teeth closer together so they have less opportunity to grab and kick back. If you are going to purchase a chainsaw and are going to use it, I would recommend getting a gas one. They really aren't too hard to handle. If you are really concerned, I am sure there is someone not too far away that will let you use theirs and they can probably give you a few pointers.

ETA: And you say you'd use it once a year. Lol. If you have it, it will get used a lot more than you'd think. Mine is out at least once a month. 1. It's fun. 2. It's so much faster than any other options.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    ...ETA: And you say you'd use it once a year. Lol. If you have it, it will get used a lot more than you'd think. Mine is out at least once a month. 1. It's fun. 2. It's so much faster than any other options.

Yeah, I kind of fear this. if I get used to it, I may use it much more.
    So perhaps a pair of chaps is in order for someone such as myself.

The other comments I appreciate... you can take gas anywhere, and electric appears to be no different (maybe less up to the task, but certainly no more dangerous). And if there's little difference, then that's good to know.
    I guess sorta like electric motorcycle vs gas motorcycle. Except, I won't be convinced to use one. Sorry :(

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Electric is more dangerous than gas.
    Get a gas one
    Don't get it at a box store
    Do get a set of Kevlar chaps
    Do get some good files, a good file guide and a spare chain.
    You tube has plenty of videos from reputable sources on how to safely run a saw.

For that size of work a 50ishcc saw is plenty. The stihl 260pro is about as good as you can get in the 50cc class. It's not cheap, but it'll last 30 plus years if taken care of.

The safety chain is good for beginners but kickback can still happen if you get your bar tip in the wrong place. Don't think it can't happen. It will.

More than happy to show you a few things at my deer camp in Cloverdale some weekend if you want.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Yeah, I kind of fear this. if I get used to it, I may use it much more.
    So perhaps a pair of chaps is in order for someone such as myself.

The other comments I appreciate... you can take gas anywhere, and electric appears to be no different (maybe less up to the task, but certainly no more dangerous). And if there's little difference, then that's good to know.
    I guess sorta like electric motorcycle vs gas motorcycle. Except, I won't be convinced to use one. Sorry :(

Not sure if I'm misreading your post, but want to reiterate that chaps won't stop electric chainsaws.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Not sure if I'm misreading your post, but want to reiterate that chaps won't stop electric chainsaws.

Truth. They will not.

Yeah I got that. Unsure why. But am taking everyone's word for it.
    I left out the bit about realizing that gas is a better choice than electric in that post (taking gas anywhere, electric is less up to the task, etc.).
    So gas it is. sucks to be me. but chaps it is. I won't cut off my legs. head or arms maybe... you'll all read about it when it happens though lol :)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Why is that?
    Bogging a gas engine by binding the drive sprocket up with Kevlar fibers is pretty easy. Electric motors have a torque band much much wider than gas and so are much more difficult to stop even at lower rpms.

Its why electric cars can accelerate so much faster than a comparably hp rated gas car. The torque on demand starts almost instantly.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Bogging a gas engine by binding the drive sprocket up with Kevlar fibers is pretty easy. Electric motors have a torque band much much wider than gas and so are much more difficult to stop even at lower rpms.

Its why electric cars can accelerate so much faster than a comparably hp rated gas car. The torque on demand starts almost instantly.

That I understand (believe it or not). Like driving a screw with an electric dril that hits a knot or hardspot and torques your hand sideways...
    Vs gas driven stuff that bogs down and won't continue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Roby,
    stop by and pick up your steel. While you are here I will school you on my chain saw and if you need it take it home.

Or I can come up and help you out.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I know others have said it, but electric chainsaws are underpowered. Gas is definitely the way to go.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've used both and a gas saw is just plain better in my personal opinion. My current saw isn't super nice but it's a Husqvarna 450e that I think I got at a steal of a price from Sears and has torn through everything I've thrown at it, and I've got 4 acres of woods. It's a huge time/labor saver, especially after a good storm blows through. Just be smart, keep it maintained, and invest in some safety gear for the times your brain doesn't fully engage.

Top Bottom