• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, moments ago they announced the results of last weeks presidential elections in Egypt and, as expected, the Muslim Brotherhood candidate Mohammed Morsi won. Interestingly, they had a 51% voter turnout and Mr. Morsi won with over 13 million votes. It will certainly be interesting to see where things go from here. The military is essentially running the parliament and the people are waiting to see when a new election will be held, (I don't think the results will be much different, if the secularists and liberals don't get it together and run loads of candidates). As it stands, even with a new president, the military is still the defacto ruler of Egypt and will remain so until they manage to get them reigned in. Not going to hold my breath on that one. Even this victory smacks of deal making with the military.

Morsi wins Egypt's presidential election - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    As bad as this looks for the US, Israel must be about ready to resign themselves to the no-win situation and open up both barrels.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have my doubts about that. As I stated earlier, (and the article in the link points out) the military is firmly in command, in reality. While they have given the president the power to declare war they have the veto power over it. They are unlikely to go to war with Israel and jeopardise the billions they get in military aid from the US. I would say Israel is fairly safe for the moment.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    is this the same guy they were havin a rally and was declaring that Jerusalem was going to egypts new capital?

jake

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    is this the same guy they were havin a rally and was declaring that Jerusalem was going to egypts new capital?

jake

This raises a serious issue. When politicians make what seem like outrageous claims, given our political habits we generally accept it as someone mouthing off to rally his base. We often forget that others in the world (including and especially the Russians and Moslems) are most usually perfectly serious.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    This raises a serious issue. When politicians make what seem like outrageous claims, given our political habits we generally accept it as someone mouthing off to rally his base. We often forget that others in the world (including and especially the Russians and Moslems) are most usually perfectly serious.

here is a shortened video. there is a 10 minute one too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLtHGrsVqmk

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    maybe mubarak wasnt that bad?

jake
    If you consider that he had people falsely imprisoned, murdered and tortured and let the police and military do as they pleased "not bad", then I guess he was better than someone whom we know nothing about. Nope. Mubarak was a dictator and did nothing to improve conditions in Egypt. He was all about maintaining the power of the military and police and, obviously, his own. The new guy is an unknown factor, at this point. But the reality is, for the moment, that he is pretty much a figurehead with little or no real power. Everything is up to the military and they are not very likely to do anything that cuts off the flow of US aid.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    If you consider that he had people falsely imprisoned, murdered and tortured and let the police and military do as they pleased "not bad", then I guess he was better than someone whom we know nothing about. Nope. Mubarak was a dictator and did nothing to improve conditions in Egypt. He was all about maintaining the power of the military and police and, obviously, his own. The new guy is an unknown factor, at this point. But the reality is, for the moment, that he is pretty much a figurehead with little or no real power. Everything is up to the military and they are not very likely to do anything that cuts off the flow of US aid.

we'll just have to see what they do.

those folks dont care about democracy like we do. they seem to like dictators, i mean it is the norm over there. sure they may dress it up as "democracy' but its not.

jake

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    we'll just have to see what they do.

those folks dont care about democracy like we do. they seem to like dictators, i mean it is the norm over there. sure they may dress it up as "democracy' but its not.

jake
    Well, that's not necessarily true. The Egyptians have never known democracy. While they had election under Mubarak, they were rigged and there was truly only one party running, with a few token "independents" on the ballot, when allowed. The Egyptian people are experiencing something totally new to themselves and it's going to take some time to shake all the bugs out. One of the main reason the MB is doing so well in these elections is that they are throwing everything but the dishwasher into the fray in an effort to get elected. The voters just know that they don't want any members of the previous government and party elected, so they've been left with an "anybody but Mubarak and his people" choice. I'd really like to see the secularists and liberals do better, but I fear they don't have the numbers and money. And the military doesn't really want them in power, because they know they'd do everything in their power to strip the military and police of their power. Not seeing a lot of hope.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well, that's not necessarily true. The Egyptians have never known democracy. While they had election under Mubarak, they were rigged and there was truly only one party running, with a few token "independents" on the ballot, when allowed. The Egyptian people are experiencing something totally new to themselves and it's going to take some time to shake all the bugs out. One of the main reason the MB is doing so well in these elections is that they are throwing everything but the dishwasher into the fray in an effort to get elected. The voters just know that they don't want any members of the previous government and party elected, so they've been left with an "anybody but Mubarak and his people" choice. I'd really like to see the secularists and liberals do better, but I fear they don't have the numbers and money. And the military doesn't really want them in power, because they know they'd do everything in their power to strip the military and police of their power. Not seeing a lot of hope.

The same could be said for Iran circa 1979. We see how that worked out.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As I recall MJ, you were sure the liberal secular majority of Egypt would never vote these Islamists into office. For whatever reason, they are there now. It looks like the military learned enough from the Iranian revolution not to repeat that. I assume they would like to replicate the Turkish situation until very recently. The government can do what they want unless they get too stupid, then they take over and let a new civilian government form.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The secular and liberal voters in Egypt didn't vote overwhelmingly for the MB or salafists. In fact they protested their elections and the process that allowed them to dominate the now voided parliamentary elections. They also called for a boycott of the presidential election due to the two crappy candidates. Can't really lay the blame for this on them. It's squarely n the shoulders of the average man in the street who just didn't want any semblance of the Mubarak regime left in power.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    That's not real Democracy.. they're in need of a real civil war like Libya had or Syria is now having.

These are scary and beautiful times we are living in.. especially if you read the "Good Book".

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    One thing is for sure.If Israel is attacked they will retaliate in any manner necessary,and an all out war in the Middle East will make the price of gasoline affect you.Nuclear weapons being lobbed around might disrupt the environment as we know it.EVERYTHING about this situation is dangerous.

Top Bottom