EDC Flashlight(s): How many lumens in your pocket(s)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How many lumens do your carry in your pocket(s)?

• 0 - I don't carry any kind of light.

Votes: 1 1.8%
    • 1 to 50

Votes: 3 5.5%
    • 50 to 100

Votes: 3 5.5%
    • 100- 500

Votes: 23 41.8%
    • 500 - 1000

Votes: 14 25.5%
    • 1000 to 3000

Votes: 9 16.4%
    • 3000 to 5000

• Over 5000!

• Total voters

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm currently looking at different options to update my main EDC flashlight.
    Each year flashlights are getting smaller and brighter, with some now claiming some really high lumen outputs.

I usually carry one or two compact lights, no brighter than 100 lumens.
    Works well for most indoor situations but it kinda sucks outside when you need more power and more throw.

So out of curiosity how bright is your current go-to EDC flashlight? What maker/model?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I carry a Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA.

I love this light. Not too big, not too small. And the best part is that it will run on three different battery types. They say it's good with CR-123 and AA, but what they don't advertise, is that it also runs with a AAA. I have tested this and can confirm a AAA battery with work in a pinch.

CR123 Battery: 6,400 candela peak beam intensity, 160m beam distance, 350 lumens measured system output on High. 720 candela peak beam intensity, 53m beam distance, 40 lumens measured system output on Low.

AA Alkaline or AA Lithium Battery: 2,750 candela peak beam intensity, 105m beam distance, 150 lumens measured system output on High. 720 candela peak beam intensity, 53m beam distance, 40 lumens measured system output on Low.

ON/OFF: Multi-function, push-button tactical tail switch. One handed operation of momentary, variable intensity or strobe mode. TEN-TAP® programmable switch allows user selection of one of three different programs: high/strobe/low (factory default), high only, or low/high.

RUN TIME: CR123 – High 1 hour 30 minutes, Low 14 hours, Strobe 3 hours.
    AA Alkaline - High 1 hour 20 minutes, Low 7 hours 30 minutes, Strobe 3.5 hours.
    AA Lithium – High 4 hours 15 minutes, Low 14 hours, Strobe 8 hours.
    Run times are to 10% of initial output. Solid-state current regulation for consistent illumination.
    I have abused the heck out of this light. It's been repeatedly dropped on to asphalt, submerged in water for several minutes, and it's never missed a beat.

For under $50 in the US, it's a tremendous value. The multiple battery capability makes it a must have for prepping.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I'm currently looking at different options to update my main EDC flashlight.
    Each year flashlights are getting smaller and brighter, with some now claiming some really high lumen outputs.

I usually carry one or two compact lights, no brighter than 100 lumens.
    Works well for most indoor situations but it kinda sucks outside when you need more power and more throw.

So out of curiosity how bright is your current go-to EDC flashlight? What maker/model?

My son just bought one that is 3200 lumens. That SOB is bright! Does the flash to disorient (changes flash rate all by itself) and a low powered SOS. Not exactly compact but......

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Streamlight stylus pro. Amazing light for the money. 2-AAA batteries last long and it’s used daily. Fits in my jeans front pocket.. been washed a few times and going strong. Amazon- under 20.00. Oh yes it’s bright for it’s size. I have had it 2 years. Bought several for Christmas presents. It comes in a single aaa version too that is good too. I have one too

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've carried one of these for years, It's so small I put a small lanyard on it to find it in my pocket, it's not so expensive I'm afraid to loose it. only downside is battery goes fast, good news it's an AAA, who cares if it goes quick I've got more in every drawer in the house and every console of my vehicles

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I carry a Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA.

I love this light. Not too big, not too small. And the best part is that it will run on three different battery types. They say it's good with CR-123 and AA, but what they don't advertise, is that it also runs with a AAA. I have tested this and can confirm a AAA battery with work in a pinch.

I have abused the heck out of this light. It's been repeatedly dropped on to asphalt, submerged in water for several minutes, and it's never missed a beat.

For under $50 in the US, it's a tremendous value. The multiple battery capability makes it a must have for prepping.
    My current edc with cr123 batteries. I have the older version with only 250l? Ive carried it everyday since 2015 and in all conditions. I use it regularly for work. (daily) If it ever dies, I will buy it again. no questions, I am not interested in any other model at this point, unless its comparable and rechargable.

jhparsons78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I carry a Klarus XT11GT. Super bright and strobe function and lower modes work great up close. Not a pocket flashlight, but a study case I carry on my belt at 10 o'clock.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I carry a L2 light from LAPG. 730 lumens and runs on 2 C12 batteries.

I've carried this light daily for about four years now and I have no complaints. It's been submerged several times with no resulting issues and the battery life is very good.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better light for under $50.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I carry two:
    Fenix E 35 V 3.0 clipped to left front pants pocket. Five light outputs from 50 to 3,000 lumens, plus 3,000 lumen strobe. Rechargeable battery, lock out mode to avoid accidental activation, and easy battery charge check.

Fenix LD 05 V 2.0 Penlight in my shirt pocket. Light outputs of 5, 25, and 100 lumens, plus a UV light to check for counterfeit currency. Runs on two AAA batteries. I check every couple of days and when I don't see a clear difference between the 25 and the 100 setting, I pull the batteries. I use rechargeable's and they work fine; charge them overnight and I'm good for another month.

I recommend Fenix; I've not been disappointed.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I carry a Coast HP2
    HP2

Its not the brightest (80lm), but I have confirmed that on a 25 yard pistol range (pitch black) that it adequate at identifying your target. Coach ran a low light shoot a couple times. So I took this along to prove everyone that says "You gotta have lots of lumens!" wrong.

Would it have been better to have a brighter light? Sure. And I have an Executive Defender that I carry sometimes. But the HP2 is ALWAYS in my left front pants pocket from the time I get dressed to the time I put my PJs on. And I use it almost every day at work, so what I EDC cant be super duper bright or I get blinded looking in dark, close spaces. Cant say that about the other.

I just bought an Olight MR2Pro and its SUPER bright, but its bulkier than I want to carry around. Maybe if I wore a duty belt or wanted one in a holster on my belt it would be OK, but I'm not Batman. :):

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I carry a Coast HP2
    HP2

Its not the brightest (80lm), but I have confirmed that on a 25 yard pistol range (pitch black) that it adequate at identifying your target. Coach ran a low light shoot a couple times. So I took this along to prove everyone that says "You gotta have lots of lumens!" wrong.

Would it have been better to have a brighter light? Sure. And I have an Executive Defender that I carry sometimes. But the HP2 is ALWAYS in my left front pants pocket from the time I get dressed to the time I put my PJs on. And I use it almost every day at work, so what I EDC cant be super duper bright or I get blinded looking in dark, close spaces. Cant say that about the other.

I just bought an Olight MR2Pro and its SUPER bright, but its bulkier than I want to carry around. Maybe if I wore a duty belt or wanted one in a holster on my belt it would be OK, but I'm not Batman. :):

Just a few years ago (10 years?) Surefire was the reference in term of pocket tactical light.
    It had 60 lumens and was considered a "high-output" light.

Surefire-E2e-Executive-Elite-60-Lumen-Flashlight-NEW_100764584_993_7C7390120B8D377C.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. My Defender has the LED head. So its a bit brighter. Like 350?

And I had the original 6R/6P and I think that was under 100 too (xenon bulb, the hot stuff back in the early 2000s)

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Streamlight JR. Led. 225 lumens.
    carried an older model for 10 years at work and the tail cap switch quit working. Called and customer service sent a new one overnight. So i bought a second from them. Its to big for pocket but i carry it in a sheath.
    i also have a Stinger and Mag lights around the house.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    Depending on the day, Streamlight Stylus Pro, Microstream or just picked up a Macrostream. All three work great just depends on how much light you need.

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Stream light ProTac HL-X 1000 lumens. Not exactly small, but I keep it next to my multi tool on my belt. It runs on two CR 123’s, or my preference, the rechargeable 3.7 V battery. The $20 Streamlight battery has the micro USB charging port on the battery and evidently it can be recharged up to 500 times. This has high, strobe and low and is 10-tap programmable. Definitely fun to play with and comes in handy all the time. If I remember correctly, they run around $80 at Cabela’s, but I’m sure they can be found cheaper.

My previous EDC was a Coast PX25. Somewhere around 300 lumens and ran on three AAA batteries. I still have a couple of them and they are still good lights to have around.

Top Bottom