• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Okay, so I am going to be traveling to Pittsburgh in July and I plan on taking my sidearm since my LTCH is recognized in PA. I know peaceable journey laws allow me to drive through Ohio. I plan on having my gun unloaded and in a locked case inside my vehicle as I travel through Ohio anyways.

My question is this; do I still have a duty to inform if I'm pulled over if the weapon is in a locked case in the trunk of the vehicle?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I have no interest in spending the money on that right now. I have no reason to be in Ohio other than driving through.

Yeah who's worried about getting arrested for breaking the laws in Ohio anyway? Not meaning to come across as a total dick I ask, if that's your position why bother asking?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Yeah who's worried about getting arrested for breaking the laws in Ohio anyway? Not meaning to come across as a total dick I ask, if that's your position why bother asking?
    I never asked if I was legal to carry, I know I'm not. I asked if I have a duty to inform if I get pulled over as I drive through (covered by federal peaceable journey laws) with my gun unloaded and locked up. Reading comprehension, get some.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I find it best to scream in a really loud voice "I HAVE A GUN" whenever I'm pulled over by a law-enforcement officer. They like it when you do that.

insert pink or purple where needed. :draw:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I find it best to scream in a really loud voice "I HAVE A GUN" whenever I'm pulled over by a law-enforcement officer. They like it when you do that.

I take internet advice very seriously. On a related note, look for me in the news in July as I drive through Ohio.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I'd inform, as required by law. Heaven forbid you don't and get discovered... OH doesn't exactly have a great rep for being totally cool about, not to mention the rep for targeting out of state drivers. Aaaaand the fact there seems to be a cop every few hundred yds on the road.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My question is this; do I still have a duty to inform if I'm pulled over if the weapon is in a locked case in the trunk of the vehicle?

No

Why are you assuming that you are going to be pulled over? Don't violate any traffic laws or be cooking meth in the back seat and you probably won't be bothered.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

Don't forget that you should also scream, "you will never take me alive copper".....As you race the engine.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Ohio takes their speed laws to a very seriously, and they have always been that way. They often use unmarked cars and trucks to monitor traffic speeds, especially in construction zones. My advice is to pack the firearm unloaded in the trunk, and if you are pulled over, stick to the plan to keep your mouth shut unless spoken to and treat the cop with respect.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I know peaceable journey laws allow me to drive through Ohio.

Indy Gun Safety said:
    Q: I am going on a trip and want to take my handgun, but I am going through places where they are prohibited. Can I take it?
    A: Yes. There are federal 'peaceable journey' laws that will allow you to travel with your handgun as long as you don't stop and stay in any of these prohibited places. (I.e. at a friend's house or hotel) Even stopping for a meal is questionable. You could probably get away with a short fuel stop. Do an Internet search for FOPA. (Firearm Owners Protection Act.)
    http://www.indygunsafety.com/FAQ.html

Ohio's a pretty long state, if you really want to be covered by peaceable journey gas up at the border, pack a lunch, and eat it in the car.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'd inform, as required by law. Heaven forbid you don't and get discovered... OH doesn't exactly have a great rep for being totally cool about, not to mention the rep for targeting out of state drivers. Aaaaand the fact there seems to be a cop every few hundred yds on the road.
    My main fear is that I do inform and an ignorant cop goes crazy and arrests me with my entire family watching.

No

Why are you assuming that you are going to be pulled over? Don't violate any traffic laws or be cooking meth in the back seat and you probably won't be bothered.
    I am not assuming I'll be pulled over, just trying to cover every possible scenario. I've never been pulled over in Ohio before.

Ohio's a pretty long state, if you really want to be covered by peaceable journey gas up at the border, pack a lunch, and eat it in the car.
    I've made the drive several times before. One tank of gas gets me from my place to my in laws.

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country

We are also an open carry state, so he can reload, and carry in rest areas, or where ever else he may need to be. He wouldn't need a license to do that. (No guns signs do have force of law, as trespass violations. )

Our gun laws and road speeds are much better than they used to be.

I follow Ohio LEO encounters with licensees closely. Negative interactions are rare anymore. I doubt you will have any problems.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

The "probably" is the problem. Even if you aren't doing anything illegal, you have no guarantees that you're not going to be in a world of hurt if you fail to dot an i or cross a t. Cop decides to pull you over anyway? Don't inform "fast enough"?

Canton, OH is a stellar example.

Top Bottom