• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    This is news to me. Do you happen to have the IC for that?
    Sure don’t. As I said in the post it was just a quick google search. I recommend contacting law enforcement for any questions.

I do not operate a drone or own a drone other than the Predator I keep in my barn. :):

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I should clarify that I am not looking for answers on who it might be. There are some neighbors that are a problem for a multitude of reasons, this being one of them. The only thing I need to figure out is what the laws are concerning them flying these drones over my property and if there is anything I can do to stop it.

I typed my earlier response before re-thinking what you're actual question was. If you know who's doing it, and they're disturbing your peace, I'd make the complaint. My understanding is that the air above your property is considered your property to about 83 ft, if I'm remembering the court case law correctly.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    You definitely should consider the consequences of using the "12 ga." or "open fire" approaches that, I hope, have been suggested in jest.

Shooting down an aircraft (which drones are) could potentially draw the sort of attention from the FAA that you would not want. Even the threat of shooting down an aircraft, can get one 5 yrs. in the federal pokey.

Generally drones are allowed to fly over private property in uncontrolled airspace unless the operator is flying recklessly/unsafely.

There are lots of nuances here, and since I'm not an attorney, this is all I'll offer.

Wouldn't that only apply to drones which have been registered with the FAA? I'm not sure they would be concerned with threats to an "aircraft" which is being flown illegally or which doesn't exist in their eyes.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Wouldn't that only apply to drones which have been registered with the FAA? …

Not as far as I know.

An unmanned aircraft system is an unmanned aircraft and the equipment necessary for the safe and efficient operation of that aircraft. An unmanned aircraft is a component of a UAS. It is defined by statute as an aircraft that is operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft (Public Law 112-95, Section 331(8)).

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Indiana's state laws prohibit flying drones over private properties. Even law enforcement officers need to get warranted with exceptions before using it in surveillance operations. Therefore, you should always avoid flying your drone over private properties as much as possible.

Because drones present these other problems of trespass and invasion of privacy, you might get away with damaging a drone if it were doing something particularly offensive, however, if the drone is only flying over your land and it's not near any buildings and not landing on your property, it's probably best to leave it alone. If it really bothers you, call local law enforcement and see if they can offer you any help.

These are taken from google searches. I suggest contacting local law enforcement.
    Ghillie suit, laser rangefinder, ballistic calculator app, a long range caliber and a shooting position well away from your house

Then there is no evidence who actually shot the thing down and your story is it must have been disgruntled hunters who were victimized by the noise
    :coffee:

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Ghillie suit, laser rangefinder, ballistic calculator app, a long range caliber and a shooting position well away from your house

Then there is no evidence who actually shot the thing down and your story is it must have been disgruntled hunters who were victimized by the noise
    :coffee:
    That’s one way to go. If low profile isn’t your style there’s always an alternative.

85744F99-4346-4BC4-8401-5D7D4BD31E6D.jpeg

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SSS. Or maybe acquire/hire your own drone/operator to have a closer look-see at where these drones are flying to and from. There are web pages out there describing how to jam or disorient a drone, legalities unknown. I wouldn't be very happy if a neighbor flew his drone over my property. And if it were to be a recurrence, well....
    It will just automatically follow it's path back to the take off sight.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    I did one time, 800 miles south of here, stumble upon someone's grow patches, spread out amongst a field of young planted pines. Didn't stick around long and never been back. Not my business what someone chooses to grow.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Just from memory I researched this couple years ago. Drone can go pretty much anywhere over property. However around 100’ from or above your home is off limits. And if you shoot it you will no doubt be in trouble. If it becomes a nusiance then I would check with your local sheriff dept.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Isn't it kinda weird that remote control airplanes require line of sight per rules/laws (I think??) but drones can fly by wire? I suppose it could involve the fact airplanes only travel forward so to speak while a drone is more akin to a helicopter and omni-directional, including rapid elevation change(s). Or maybe not I really don't know. Soon we're going to need some defined boundaries set for personal and hobby drone operators. It would be impractical to accept that a private drone is allowed to fly, film, irritate private property owners. I'm not fond of municipalities doing it either.

USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    Update: Spoke with the local sherrif about it. It didn't sound like he was too sure about the laws concerning this. He said he thought I might have to contact the state police or the FAA if it continues to be a problem.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Update: Spoke with the local sherrif about it. It didn't sound like he was too sure about the laws concerning this. He said he thought I might have to contact the state police or the FAA if it continues to be a problem.
    I mean if he’s not sure of the laws about them flying it over your property, he’s probably not sure on the laws of you shooting it down… apply purple as necessary.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Isn't it kinda weird that remote control airplanes require line of sight per rules/laws (I think??) but drones can fly by wire? I suppose it could involve the fact airplanes only travel forward so to speak while a drone is more akin to a helicopter and omni-directional, including rapid elevation change(s). Or maybe not I really don't know. Soon we're going to need some defined boundaries set for personal and hobby drone operators. It would be impractical to accept that a private drone is allowed to fly, film, irritate private property owners. I'm not fond of municipalities doing it either.

There is a line-of-sight requirement for drone operators also, it's just hard to enforce and impractical to implement when you're actually flying.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    There is a line-of-sight requirement for drone operators also, it's just hard to enforce and impractical to implement when you're actually flying.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know this. Now I'm not sure why I believed a difference existed. Although in this thread, line of sight could be an angle for resolve, as it should be easy enough to prove whether the drone pilot is able to see his drone while flying over property belonging to someone else.

Top Bottom