• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I recently discovered a hollow area under my asphalt driveway right where it meets up with my garage, and am getting VERY concerned about this situation... I really don't want to have to dig my truck out of my own driveway!

Does anyone here know of a good company in/around Indy that would completely remove the old asphalt, redo the substructure and then lay new asphalt on again? Obviously I don't have an unlimited budget, but I know this isn't going to be cheap...

I thought I'd ask now so maybe I could get someone lined up for early summer...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not sure if he does this kind of thing or not, but you might check with INGO member jagee. I think he does concrete work so not sure if that's what you'd be interested in (or if he's strictly commercial, etc.). He may have another lead though.

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My first thought was mudjacking. But wonder what the hollow is coming from, leaking drain tile or somehting?
    I think it might be related to the pea gravel under my garage and the fact that my neighbor's yard drains straight toward my garage pretty much where the driveway meets up to it. I don't know how big the hollow is, but it sure did sound different when I dropped heavy stuff on it moving things in and out of said garage...

Not sure if he does this kind of thing or not, but you might check with INGO member jagee. I think he does concrete work so not sure if that's what you'd be interested in (or if he's strictly commercial, etc.). He may have another lead though.
    If I remember correctly--and there is NO guarantee of that actually happening--I think going to concrete is somehow taxed differently than keeping it as asphalt??? If it is, then I pay too danged much in property taxes as it is.

But thanks for the lead! I'm definitely interested in good word-of-mouth recommendations rather than some number of stars on some website that could be completely faked.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You have opened up several questions for the price of one.

For full disclosure, I have been out of the loop for 20 years but some things are constant.

First, you have to determine the scope of the work. For a driveway with automobile or pickup truck used for an automobile traffic I would recommend 6 inches of compacted stone, preferably #53 again COMPACTED. Too this with 3 inches of substantive base/binder class mix (I am thinking a #7 mix unless you run the pickup loaded up) topped with an inch of surface no smaller than #9.

Second, my first call would be to Grady Brothers. My background was in highway construction. Private work was always their bread and butter and they always had a very good reputation with people who knew and were not repeating other people's stories.

Be very careful with little one crew wonder type contractors. They have more ways to screw you over than Nancy Pelosi has lies.

If you need more focused help message me.

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    You have opened up several questions for the price of one.

For full disclosure, I have been out of the loop for 20 years but some things are constant.

First, you have to determine the scope of the work. For a driveway with automobile or pickup truck used for an automobile traffic I would recommend 6 inches of compacted stone, preferably #53 again COMPACTED. Too this with 3 inches of substantive base/binder class mix (I am thinking a #7 mix unless you run the pickup loaded up) topped with an inch of surface no smaller than #9.

Second, my first call would be to Grady Brothers. My background was in highway construction. Private work was always their bread and butter and they always had a very good reputation with people who knew and were not repeating other people's stories.

Be very careful with little one crew wonder type contractors. They have more ways to screw you over than Nancy Pelosi has lies.

If you need more focused help message me.
    This, sir, is EXACTLY what I was hoping to find on INGO... an idea of where and with whom to start. Now I have a company name to start with, and hopefully will successfully avoid all the fly-by-nighters entirely.

I so wish I'd had enough money several years ago to get my drive rebuilt when a neighbor across the street had a company come in and literally reconstruct his from below the dirt up... I never even got that company's name, and I'm sure they weren't cheap...but that drive still looks good as new. Sadly, that gentleman was elderly and passed away a while back, so I can't exactly ask him who did the work--I doubt the current owners even know.

But still, at least now I have a starting point.
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Top Bottom