• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    I like Ben Carson a lot too...so much that I think that the electorate that elected Obama doesn't deserve to be led by someone as genuine and genuinely intelligent as Carson and as a result probably will reject him.

However, if I were to be totally honest, I would say that I think he would not be the best candidate from a 2A standpoint. As many academic physicians, I do think part of him sees firearms as a "public health problem", and that making guns harder to get (a la California/New York) might make everyone "safer".

I would like to believe him when he says he would support everyone's 2A rights, but if I were to be totally honest with the good people on this board, I would have to say that I honestly think that his view of protecting the 2nd Amendment is probably not very much like the view of someone on this board.

Remember that when he was young, he lived in the hood and had a real anger issue...so I'm sure there's a part of him that thinks "if I had a gun, like so many of the thugs I saw, I would probably be a murderer now. Good thing they were hard for me to get."

That being said, if he said something like: "I am in support of keeping guns from criminals and the insane. That being said, I also understand that laws are often ineffective in preventing gun possession and abuse by those who have no respect for our laws. As a result, we need to make sure that every person who DOES respect the law has EVERY LEGAL PROTECTION of his RIGHT to firearms to protect himself and his family against those who don't respect the law." -- well, I think that would be a winner right there.

Or, alternatively...if he chose Condoleeza Rice as a running mate (her stance is basically: "I believe that the second amendment says what it says", and "If gun registration were required when I was a girl, I have no doubt Bull Connor would have confiscated the firearm my father used to protect my family from the Klan")...well, that would be good enough for me as far as the 2nd A goes.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Sorry Ben….your back peddling isn't helping. You have already said too much for those who have already heard previous comments from you to believe you anymore. Yup, I just don't trust him. I'll stay with Rand Paul…a real and true Doctor of the Constitution IMHO.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    He will now be called a flip-flopper. I will wait to make a call on him, but I have always liked what he's had to say.

Sorry Ben….your back peddling isn't helping. You have already said too much for those who have already heard previous comments from you to believe you anymore. Yup, I just don't trust him. I'll stay with Rand Paul…a real and true Doctor of the Constitution IMHO.

Have you considered the topics which some have said Paul has backpedled, such as social justice and ADA matters? Do you believe he was taken out of context or he simply was not knowledgable on those topics and spoke too soon?

Everybody can't be an expert on everything.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Have you considered the topics which some have said Paul has backpedled, such as social justice and ADA matters? Do you believe he was taken out of context or he simply was not knowledgable on those topics and spoke too soon?

Everybody can't be an expert on everything.

I have no knowledge of those things mentioned about Paul, to be honest I don't even know of those issues so I can't comment. However I do know about the gun issue, and what Ben has said about what his thoughts are on them are. Before the statement posted here by the OP, last week he said something similar to the point that he was for 2nd Ammendment……but……there should be a serious discussion and talk about it. Red flag went right up when I heard that….now he is even going farther than that now. I liked Ben up to that point….if he would come out and say that at one time he was for gun control, but know he has changed his mind and why he has changed his mind I would listen. I'm not seeing that though…..I see something else. No candidate is going to be perfect my friend thats for sure, just gotta pick what is important to you and go with that guy.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have no knowledge of those things mentioned about Paul, to be honest I don't even know of those issues so I can't comment. However I do know about the gun issue, and what Ben has said about what his thoughts are on them are. Before the statement posted here by the OP, last week he said something similar to the point that he was for 2nd Ammendment……but……there should be a serious discussion and talk about it. Red flag went right up when I heard that….now he is even going farther than that now. I liked Ben up to that point….if he would come out and say that at one time he was for gun control, but know he has changed his mind and why he has changed his mind I would listen. I'm not seeing that though…..I see something else. No candidate is going to be perfect my friend thats for sure, just gotta pick what is important to you and go with that guy.

That is certainly true. I am not looking for a perfect candidate, but well-rounded. I wouldn't vote for someone who can ONLY take a stand on 2A issues and would never support someone who believes guns are a plague. I guess we all need to find the balance that makes us comfortable.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    That is certainly true. I am not looking for a perfect candidate, but well-rounded. I wouldn't vote for someone who can ONLY take a stand on 2A issues and would never support someone who believes guns are a plague. I guess we all need to find the balance that makes us comfortable.

Agree for sure.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Obviously once he gets into the primaries, he will have to address this again and much more firmly. If he wants to get through the primary, I think he will have to take something like a pledge on the subject just because of his prior comments.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    2A is the first consideration, everything else is secondary.

I can certainly make room for considering Dr. Carson, but only after some years of being solid on 2A. Maybe even a public acknowledgement of being wrong in the past and an oath to never waffle on 2A issues.

In my mind Dr. Carson falls in the same category as Chris Cristie, NOT OUR MAN. They cannot be trusted to stand stand firm on the most important issue.

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I really like Dr. Carson. He is a man of high integrity and a man with conservative views. Yes, other candidates will have the same credentials, but they're politicians. Ben is not. Will he be the best man for foreign policy and national defense? Probably not. Colin Powell would probably be one of the most logical choices for that. His economic policies? Again, probably not the best. Walker, Perry, or Daniels would probably be best there. The list goes on for each issue. Ben is an expert on healthcare. Big topic right now. He's probably the best choice for that. What I'm saying is that in some regards he might not be THE best candidate for the position, but he will be the best option for some issues. I also believe Carson is a smart enough and humble enough person to realize his weaknesses and put strong people in positions to help him make decisions on those issues. I'm sure it wasn't just him calling all the shots at Johns Hopkins.

As for the 2nd amendment. I believe Carson has truly changed his mind. His views on guns were most likely due to his experience with them. And no experience with guns in the hood is a good one. It's the same way people view alcohol if they have a parent who's an alcoholic. They either become an alcoholic, or pretty much despise alcohol. Even though alcohol isn't inherently a bad thing, it's judt how it's used. Sound familiar?

Will Carson fight tooth and nail to repeal the current gun control laws? Nope, doubt it. But I don't see any other candidate doing that either. That's what SCOTUS is for. That's where we'll see gun control be struck down. But I also believe Ben will never sign any more laws into effect either. So there's my view on Dr. Carson.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like the man's courage (that first speech on health care was given with Hussein sitting at the table beside him), his intelligence, his business experience, his ability to express views carefully and precisely. I like his loyalty to the nation and the Constitution.

I recall his appearance on The View with Whoopi Goldberg. (I do not watch the show, but I did watch a except of his appearance on the show and his interchange with Whoopi.) Whoopi was her usual aggressive liberal self. Carson responded carefully, logically, and presented a scenario that would have alleviated the problems that troubled Whoopi and maintained the standards and freedoms I wanted in health care. He won Whoopi to his point of view, that1) Husseincare was a poor system and that 2) far better systems were available.

Carson needs experience in the political realm. He will have to build a coalition to gain support to win the nomination. He will have to work with a few devils, and make a few deals, just to do this. He will do things, and support things, with which I do not agree. But from what I have seen so far, he is a man I would like to have involved in running this country. I think he would be excellent as head of Health and Human Services, for example. I am not certain he is ready to handle our international and military issues.

On the international and military issues, I prefer a man with military experience. There is a worldview change that comes with time spent in uniform. I did not serve. I had no objection to it; but I was not drafted in 1969-70, so I decided God was leading me in another direction. But I have seen how military training changed the point of view of my brother and sons after their enlistment. significant changes, and significant insights were evident. I prefer our Commander-in-Chief to have that experience and understanding. (It does not always help, though. John McCain is a good example.)

I recognize few candidates have military experience, at present anyway. So, my fallback position is to look for a candidate who demonstrates an ability to listen to the experts in the field—the military commanders who have field experience; the civilian leaders of the DoD who also have military experience. Thus, I could support a candidate who shows himself capable and willing to listen to wise counsel.

At this point I am still considering who to support. I think Ben Carson merits consideration. I think Rand Paul does, also, but I need more info about him to be sure. I do not know enough about Scott Walker or Ted Cruz or Rick Perry to make a decision, but they are folks I will consider as 2016 approaches. Sarah Palin merits attention, too. She has sand—having endured all the left threw at her and emerged stronger in her commitment to defend the nation and the Constitution. I would be very pleased in an text president included all these people in his cabinet.

The next two years will very interesting.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    If he would just say he changed his mind or hadn't thought his stance out completely before, I would say ok. But he is flip flopping for support in my mind.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This subject is the only "gray area" that I wondered about. I love to hear him speak. I haven't heard anything he's said that I didn't think he was spot on about. If he truly is Pro 2a the man will get a serious chance at my vote.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If he would just say he changed his mind or hadn't thought his stance out completely before, I would say ok. But he is flip flopping for support in my mind.

Saying this will get a politician tarred and feathered on the internet. Everyday people aren't given the opportunity to admit they changed their mind. Genuine or not, I like the direction he took much better.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Greenfield
    He lost my trust a few weeks ago when he was on the dana show on wibc. He started speaking highly of the smart gun technology, and he said thats how all guns should be equiped. It was an interesting show and im sure somebody can bring it up and post a link.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Saying this will get a politician tarred and feathered on the internet. Everyday people aren't given the opportunity to admit they changed their mind. Genuine or not, I like the direction he took much better.

Who cares about being tarred and feathered when it would be the right thing to do? Admitting you made a wrong statement or have changed your mind is the proper way to handle it, not lie your way out of it. It is disgusting.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    He lost my trust a few weeks ago when he was on the dana show on wibc. He started speaking highly of the smart gun technology, and he said thats how all guns should be equiped. It was an interesting show and im sure somebody can bring it up and post a link.

I'm not a big fan of smart guns either, but that's the wave of the future. Technology always changes crap. We have gone from muskets to Tavors. I will, however stick to my old style guns. I like the simplicity of having the operator know what the hell they are doing, and being responsible for their own actions. Now, as long as there are companies making both, I'm cool. Should they build "only" smart guns in the future, and outlaw the old tech, that would be a travesty.

I like the good Dr. I wish he'd quit *****footing around and start raising money for a campaign. I'll rock his bumper sticker.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Who cares about being tarred and feathered when it would be the right thing to do? Admitting you made a wrong statement or have changed your mind is the proper way to handle it, not lie your way out of it. It is disgusting.

Voters. Most people do not care about a politician doing the right thing. A politician admitting he is wrong is seen by many as weak and imbecilic. I agree with you and see nothing wrong with admitting shortcomings, but the fact is, most have probably made up their minds anyway.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Voters. Most people do not care about a politician doing the right thing. A politician admitting he is wrong is seen by many as weak and imbecilic. I agree with you and see nothing wrong with admitting shortcomings, but the fact is, most have probably made up their minds anyway.

I like to believe that the majority of people do care about a politician doing what is right. But, looking at the state of our country, it would appear my belief is wrong.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm not a big fan of smart guns either, but that's the wave of the future.

Not just no, but HELL no.

The market will never support it, and the progs will never make headway trying to force it on people. (I think they know that, which is why Bloomie or some other rich prog hasn't paid an FFL to open a shop in New Jersey, start selling the one piece-of-crap "smart" gun on the market, and invoke New Jersey's poison pill. I think they know that, once they do that, they'll go down in flames in a legal challenge to the smart gun law.)

Top Bottom