• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The last time I was in Indy I went past this store while taking my morning walk. The homeless/panhandlers were hitting people up for money while drinking Starbucks. It was an interesting reflection of our current culture; people that don't work but can still afford the most expensive coffee begging money from people that are heading to work.
    They may not have bought it. Per the article
    Burton said Starbucks employees were known to provide free drinks to homeless people. “And we believe this may have contributed to that environment of unease for their customers and employees,” he said.
    And I did hear of one guy that was getting free hot cocoa from them. He'd ask them for a large cup of hot water, water being free. Then he'd go over to the bar with the cream/sugar/etc pour about half out, add a bunch of sugar and cocoa then top it off with the cream. The employees let him get away with it a couple of times before they cut him off.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

A judge has found Tyler Newby guilty of reckless homicide after a previous attempt at trying Newby in 2021 ended with a mistrial after a unanimous decision couldn’t be reached by jurors.

Newby was accused of shooting and killing Dorian Murrell during the second night of protests and rioting in downtown Indianapolis on May 31, 2020.

Personal opinion? Should have stuck with a jury. I don't think you could convince a full jury that it wasn't self defense due to disparity of force issues.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Personal opinion? Should have stuck with a jury. I don't think you could convince a full jury that it wasn't self defense due to disparity of force issues.
    I spoke to a homicide detective yesterday outside LOS about that case. Was the information that the "victim" was involved in the murder of Chris Beatty not introduced? I'm sure the "victim's" friends came in and testilied that he was shot for no reason.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I spoke to a homicide detective yesterday outside LOS about that case. Was the information that the "victim" was involved in the murder of Chris Beatty not introduced? I'm sure the "victim's" friends came in and testilied that he was shot for no reason.

I don't know for sure, but I would expect it to be excluded in that the shooter would not have had that information at the time he fired the shot, meaning it could not have influenced his decision. I would think the mere fact he was knocked down and surrounded would be sufficient, and apparently his attorney must have felt the same...but I'd still have stuck with a jury myself.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

No doubt. He thought he could convince one out of one better than twelve out of twelve. And I suppose it could make sense, especially if he's being held while awaiting trail anyway. There is probably a point where a string of hung juries becomes just as bad as being in prison. "Get it over with."

But I would never go with a bench trial if in the situation and I had the choice. "Letting someone off" has too much downside for a judge, and it's just obvious there's going to be a split-the-difference "arbitration mentality" on the judge's part. He is going to have to hang "something" on you because no matter how much training people have, there's still a strongly-coded human bias that if someone's dead, someone has to pay, somehow.

I wasn't there and didn't see it, but I guess if you're pushed to the ground and surrounded by potential aggressors, you have to wait for the first head-stomp before it's really "fer serious."

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I don't know for sure, but I would expect it to be excluded in that the shooter would not have had that information at the time he fired the shot, meaning it could not have influenced his decision. I would think the mere fact he was knocked down and surrounded would be sufficient, and apparently his attorney must have felt the same...but I'd still have stuck with a jury myself.
    I'm 50/50 on trusting juries. But in his case that would have been the best choice.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I would like to take this opportunity to state yet again that hogg**** is a worthless piece of ****.

Where was hogg**** on those nights he let the city be destroyed?
    Downtown tenants' insurance premiums cost the city nothing, but civil rights lawsuits can leave a mark.

Cities have adopted the Prevent Defense. And as long as the "Millennial Downtown Dog Walkers" keep paying $2000 a month rent to live there, it's not going to change.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    He got one year home detention with 4 years probation. 5 yrs suspended sentence. This is one case where I approve of a "light" sentence.
    So they say he got a light sentence. Is he still considered a felon? If so that is enough to mess his life up completely.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So they say he got a light sentence. Is he still considered a felon? If so that is enough to mess his life up completely.
    The "light" was my interjection. And unfortunately yes he is still considered a felon. In 10 yrs I think (but not positive) he can file for expungement, less if the prosecutor agrees.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I don't think this was discussed in a separate thread so I'll dust off the riot thread:

Seen the video? Don't violently resist arrest during a riot. Or any other time for that matter.

The link has the lengthy list of charges. You'd think they saw some little old lady sitting on her porch and they went up and beat her for not giving them snicker-doodles.

IMPD officers found not guilty in 2020 use-of-force arrests

(Note the auto-correct for the newsies changes "riot" to "protest".)

Friday marked the fifth and final day of the trial involving IMPD officers Jonathan Horlock and Nathaniel Schauwecker, who were facing felony charges related to the arrest of Ivoré Westfield and Rachel Harding on May 31, 2020, during a Black Lives Matter protest that was taking place downtown.

Deliberations went on for more than ten hours, which lasted early into Saturday morning. Eventually, the jury declared Horlock and Schauwecker not guilty on eight of the twelve charges they were facing. The judge decarded a hung jury on the reaming four counts in the case.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I don't think this was discussed in a separate thread so I'll dust off the riot thread:

Seen the video? Don't violently resist arrest during a riot. Or any other time for that matter.

The link has the lengthy list of charges. You'd think they saw some little old lady sitting on her porch and they went up and beat her for not giving them snicker-doodles.

Friday marked the fifth and final day of the trial involving IMPD officers Jonathan Horlock and Nathaniel Schauwecker, who were facing felony charges related to the arrest of Ivoré Westfield and Rachel Harding on May 31, 2020, during a Black Lives Matter protest that was taking place downtown.

Deliberations went on for more than ten hours, which lasted early into Saturday morning. Eventually, the jury declared Horlock and Schauwecker not guilty on eight of the twelve charges they were facing. The judge decarded a hung jury on the reaming four counts in the case.

Glad to see Justice served for once. But is it just me, or did the article give the vibe that the writer disagreed with the outcome?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The gardener asked why the one woman did not show up in court and I answered "active warrants maybe" but then gave it some thought. Does answering a subpoena give somebody temporary immunity to arrest in this case?

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    The gardener asked why the one woman did not show up in court and I answered "active warrants maybe" but then gave it some thought. Does answering a subpoena give somebody temporary immunity to arrest in this case?
    No.

A warrant is a court order remanding the person to custody to appear before the court. Depending on the charge on the warrant, a judge COULD cancel the warrant and slate them back into court on a later date. We used to do that for self-surrenders but they were all on misdemeanor driving charges or lower. Never once had a felony fugitive get that deal. Even in those instances, the fugitive still had to appear before a judge, they were technically arrested, they just weren’t booked into the jail because they surrendered and a judge agreed to hear their case at a later date.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Took too long, and the, "...the jury declared Horlock and Schauwecker not guilty on eight of the twelve charges they were facing. The judge decarded a hung jury on the reaming four counts in the case.", hung jury element could leave a loose end to be exploited later.

The entire episode is quite frankly sickening. The "possibly mostly peaceful protesters" disobeyed lawful orders from LEO in the performance of their duties. They resisted arrest, and were subdued. What the officers should have received was a pat on the back.

Persecution of those trying to restore order and save civil society is what happens when there is no justice and a significant portion of the population have been taught they are victims and rules do not apply to them.

I do not see this ending well or peacefully if we as a society at the lowest levels of governance, the family, do not start teaching respect and tolerance for all.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I just cannot keep myself from laughing and laughing whenever I watch that officer put that obnoxious purple-haired bitch on her but...

:lol2:

Top Bottom