• techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    From the HT:

Bloomington police are investigating an attempted robbery where a man said he was greeted at his front door by a man with a gun.

The incident was reported just after 10 a.m. Monday in the 100 block of East Grimes Lane. The 22-year-old man told police he was working on his computer when he heard a knock at the door. According to the police report, the man opened the door and was greeted by an unknown man with a gun.

The armed man then demanded money from the resident, who ran into a back bedroom and retrieved a shotgun. When the resident returned to the front of the home, he and the assailant fought over the shotgun, he told police. Eventually, the assailant fled out the back door of the home.

The resident told police he had no idea who the assailant was.

The assailant was described as a black man who was in his late teens or early 20s, 6 feet tall with a slender build. The resident said the man had something like an extended turtleneck covering the lower part of his face.

Unless you have a reason to, run for the shotty, then STAY in a defensive position!

At least a robber was thwarted and no one died this time. And, for the record, there are too many of these taking place south of Indy as of late. Welcome to a recession I guess.

P.S. Don't answer the door unless you know who it is!!!

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Wow! Even if you came back out, why would you get close enough to allow someone to get ahold of it?
    At my house we have rooms to retreat to, this has been taught to my wife and kids. If someone trys to come through that door, they are in for a world of :poop:. :ar15:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Thats not very funny :)

No but I think that is what Jack was hinting at.
    If you go get your gun, you can't make the bad guy go away by waving it around.
    That or maybe he was suggesting that it wouldn't hurt as much to have a Magic Wand shoved up your ..... as it would a shotgun. Maybe he can provide us with some clarification. :D

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You can wave a magic wand and the bad guys disappear.
    You wave your gun around and you could end up eating it.

That reminds me about the gun shop owner that was selling a customer a .44 Mag revolver to protect him from bears in Alaska. He said that you want to file down the front sight.

The customer thought about it and said, "Oh, do people shoot low when they are stressed and the compensates?"

"No" said the shop owner, "After you shoot the bear with all 6 rounds, it makes it hurt less when he takes away your gun and shoves it up your ass."

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    Those magical words "In fear for my life" mean everything in this situation the way I see it! I dont give a %&$# want Prez elect Hussein Obama says my home is my castle and I will protect it and my family however I see fit! The only part of this gun this joker should have had a grip on was the small balls that come out the end of the barrel!
    Then Iam gonna take his family to court for payment for the damaged locks and door damage and the expenditures for the clean-up of the aftermath and "emotional stress" put upon me by this situation.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    I always answer the door with my gun either in my hand behind my back or tucked in my pants behind my back. No one sees it, but it's there.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you go get your gun, you can't make the bad guy go away by waving it around.

I can't comment on the idea of "waving it around," but the number of times when displaying a firearm with no shots fired has stopped a threat dwarfs the number of similar situations where shots are fired.

Usually displaying the gun is all that it takes. Given that, you have to be prepared and willing to use it if hostility does not cease, or if there is no time to wait.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You can wave a magic wand and the bad guys disappear.
    You wave your gun around and you could end up eating it.

Ding ding ding. Instead of a Smith & Wesson, Colt or Ruger, he should have grabbed a Hershey bar. It would be a lot easier to choke down if he was just going to wave it around until the bad guy jamms it down his throat.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I can't comment on the idea of "waving it around," but the number of times when displaying a firearm with no shots fired has stopped a threat dwarfs the number of similar situations where shots are fired.

Usually displaying the gun is all that it takes. Given that, you have to be prepared and willing to use it if hostility does not cease, or if there is no time to wait.

Yep.

That's because the number of people who will really use it and the number of people who will really face down some one with a gun are miniscule compared to both the numbers who claim they will do either one or THINK they will do either one. It's also where the antis get that familiar whine about a gun in the house being more danger to the owner than the bad guys because they get it out, wave it around, and the real bad guy takes it away from them or just keeps his mouth shut and shoots first.

The only thing that keeps the whole "machine" running is that little bit of grease that is the people who really will "shoot yer balls off" if you make another move.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Unidentified dude in my house with a gun?

*BLAM*

Problem...solved. I don't see why you would wave the damn thing around if it's loaded and ready for noise-making instead of slinking your finger back and firing a round.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Maybe this guy is one who feels it is safer to have an unloaded gun in the house, and he didn't have time to load it.

While this isn't intended to be snarky towards members of this board, I realize it may **** off some people. Sorry to hear that. Consider it a free wake up call.

Top Bottom