• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    From the HT:
    P.S. Don't answer the door unless you know who it is!!!

You should answer, but don't open the door at all. Not answering could lead to the person walking around your home and trying to kick in your backdoor. It might not be right after they rang your bell either, and they could always bring back friends to the "empty" house. I have an intercom system and a camera. I can usually tell if it is a sales person and I don't answer, but I let them know I am in the home (my old wood floors, stomp around). I don't want to hear their sales pitch, but I want them to know someone is in the home, ignoring them. That way if they are just using some sales person front, they will at least know someone is in the home.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Do you know the difference between a gun and a magic wand?

A magic wand doesn't have front sites like a gun, that would HURT like hell as it gets inserted!
    :rockwoot:

Seriously though, Bloomington (San Fransisco, IN) is getting more and more nuts by the day!
    I wonder if said home owner would have been arrested had he shot the bastard intruder?
    I sadly would not have been surprised at anything in Bloomington!
    But I also think had that been the most, (I know not all) of us here, we would have found out.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I like the idea of a camera/intercom setup, that makes a lot of sense. You might even be able to see if your "visitor" is armed. Oh well, for now, I guess I'll have to answer with my Benelli if I don't recognize the person ringing my doorbell. I'd rather frighten someone innocent than my family or I become someone's victim(s.)

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    i thought about this scenario, "how to answer the door"...and holding a shotgun whether in your hands or on a sling isnt a good idea IMO. showing your weapon will freak out an innocent knocker...while someone with nefarious intentions is going to be tipped off, which could lead to a scuffle and them taking your gun away. I have a door surrounded by windows around the frame, so its easy to peek out, but i grew up in homes where locking the door wasnt a big deal, so being more cautious has taken time to get used to. I think the best is to never open the door, in most cases, your voice is loud enough to speak to whoever is on the otherside if you cant visually identify them. If you dont know them, tell em to go away. If they dont, go get armed if you dont CC...if they dont immediately leave, call the police and wait in a defensive position until they leave...then stay on alert for a short time. Damn, i hate reading stories like this in my backyard, but heck it can happen anywhere.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    In reading the original post it sounds like the scenario went something like this. Dude answered his door and got a gun shoved in his face. He then ran to the bedroom to get his shotgun. When he headed back towards the front of the home the assailant had entered the front room in pursuit of him. Its not really possible to contrive how the struggle in sued as the information is vacant. But in speculation for instance, my home is very small and if I returning from the bedroom with say a full length shotgun like a 30" barrel under pursuit by the assailant. I wouldn't be able to bring it to bear and could end up in a struggle.
    I have no doubt this guy was ill prepared for this situation but in his defense, I would have to say most people truly are not. This scenario is a good example to hopefully get more folks to think about what to do in a home invasion type situation. And to be better prepared. As human beings we tend to think that it couldn't happen to me or the reality is that most people are sheep and don't think about this stuff at all. People get so caught up in their own little world that they don't even know what is going on around them. Most men are so caught up in rather or not they lost money on the game that they never truly consider anything else. The first thought threw this dudes head as he was opening his front door may have been anything from wait you don't look like Ed McMahon to is my house on fire We the people that discuss these topics here on INGO we are the minority. Most people don't give these topics we value so highly a second thought in day to day life. And that is why we call them Sheeple. I have no doubt that any of us here discussing this topic would have handled this way different and as Rhino said there may have been bloodshed. This was a wake up call for dude he was lucky. As for me... I would have looked threw my peephole and in not knowing the person would have said threw the door.. "Yea whats up I'm not dressed" All the while standing there with my .45 in hand. If he were able to con me into opening my door. ( And that is a very real possibility as I am condusive that hell maybe this person needs my help in some way. Could be a flat or dead battery who knows I live in a neighborhood not a fortress.) The second he brandished a weapon making demands.. The Colt would bark threw the door and he would be dead on my porch. I am sure from reading the posts and opinions here on INGO that if this were to happen to any of you the end result would be similar to what I describe as my responce. The sheeple need to be helped and shepered especially in these times towards the level of preparedness we all share. Just my :twocents:...JC

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    chefcook, i think your analysis is most likely. The intruder had to have come through the door in chase. this is why a long barrel shotgun doesnt make the best HD firearm. Ive instrcted my wife to never open the door for ANYONE if she is alone, unless she can identify the person from the 2nd floor hallway.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    I think the problem would be this guy had no training. He bought a shotgun (maybe for this purpose maybe to hunt) but he never thought what happens when SHTF. When it did he froze. No one want to take another persons life (which is probably what happens when you use a 12g in a home) so this guy froze.

Its easy for all of us to say what we would have done (myself included) but with out proper training you are just as likely to freeze up. Although, most of us can not get real experience before something like this happens, you can get training.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    chefcook, i think your analysis is most likely. The intruder had to have come through the door in chase. this is why a long barrel shotgun doesnt make the best HD firearm. Ive instrcted my wife to never open the door for ANYONE if she is alone, unless she can identify the person from the 2nd floor hallway.

That is correct a long barreled shotgun is not appropriate for home defense. But we are talking about sheeple and that may be all he had. I can see it now, leaning against a wall in the bedroom loaded/unloaded only to give a false since the illusion of security.(like our government) I cant remember off the top of my head the guys name but there is a man here whose thing under his name says "A wolf walking amongst the sheeple" Well that is fact as we all here are just that. Wolves... How many here would have more than say 10 different options as to defense in this scenario? How many outside of us the (Wolves) consider every car within 50 meters as they park to enter a store. How many other than us here look in their rear view mirrors as they sit in the drive threw at Mikki Dees? How many other than us here look at each individual trying to determine rather or not that person is cc'ing. The sheeple are all prom queens and kings that believe they will all be millionaire rock stars when they grow up. And in that is where the problem lays inherently is that they never grow up. And they don't want to and will fight it tooth and nail every step of the way.. Jesus Christ someone I have known for 7 years said to me the other day..." Gas prices are goin down that means the economy is gettin better its all good goona be ok" I am like dude is your brain damaged by all that heathen devil weed you smoked in collage can you not see the state of things....Response... What do ya mean???? OMFG.. Now I know this is not what this post is about . However I have to put this in here as it seems at least to me that in my words it has evolved to include this....The Governor from Illinois was arrested and nobody freaked out... Why??? Because everyone knows that the way he was conducting business is the way all of our representatives conduct business every single last one. From Obama to G.W. No one here really raised hell about it and to be honest I was dissapointed cause I was ready to tear a bunch of new assholes on the subject.. I am happy in the fact i think we all know this is the status quoe. As in how our representatives represent us. The only difference, he got caught...Well how does that sit with you in this economy as things are. I stated earlier we are the wolves among the sheeple... Now I ask are we? Or are we just sheeple that are more afraid pretending to take a stance for that same seeming false security as Dude. The corruption is evident, if anyone believes that is contained within Illinois I would stand and call him a child to his face. Now this is the question. Are we men? Are we wolves? Or are we sheep... If we are man patriots loyal to this country and to our forefathers idea of the United States of America. ARE WE SHEEP OR ARE WE MEN!!!! There are 1000 reasons to do nothing, and only one reason to do something. The one reason to do something is to survive as one nation under God indivisible as men for men and family for family to ensure our survival as free men...JC

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I think the problem would be this guy had no training. He bought a shotgun (maybe for this purpose maybe to hunt) but he never thought what happens when SHTF. When it did he froze. No one want to take another persons life (which is probably what happens when you use a 12g in a home) so this guy froze.

Its easy for all of us to say what we would have done (myself included) but with out proper training you are just as likely to freeze up. Although, most of us can not get real experience before something like this happens, you can get training.

KK **** hit the fan... As individuals SHTF there is not one of us that will survive. Only who will survive the longest...

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    i thought about this scenario, "how to answer the door"...and holding a shotgun whether in your hands or on a sling isnt a good idea IMO. showing your weapon will freak out an innocent knocker...while someone with nefarious intentions is going to be tipped off, which could lead to a scuffle and them taking your gun away.

I can tell you how it feels to be on the WRONG end of that shotgun. It makes you feel like taking things slow and easy and being REAL nice.

A friend and I were riding motorcycles out in the sticks between Martinsville and 135, we lived in Bargersville and he crashed his. It was about 1 in the morning and he was loopy as like a half dead dog. I barely kept him on my bike to ride to the next house. Grandma opened the door to Grampa standing at the ready with a 12 guage shotgun at one in the morning. You can bet yer britches I was very clear and very concise in my request that they make a phone call to my wife to come pick up up and bring the truck. I was quite happy to sit out on the lawn by the road and wait for her to get there.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    jack, they had a good plan, one opens the door, with another ready in a dfensive position...away from getting grabbed or jumped. I would say that the grandma is put in danger with this scenario, but they probably evaluated you as not being an immediate threat.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Chef, actually It's "Walking Tall Amongst The Sheeple". And we are not Wolves, we are sheepdogs protecting the BAAAAAflock from the wolves. Those wolves include criminals on the street and the criminals in Washington as there is no difference between the two.

I, like this dude, have never had formal training. My training comes in the form of outdated military manuals, Tae Kwon Do, the Military Channel and Practice that I do on my own when I'm alone. I'd hate to freak out the girls although my neighbors think I'm nuts. Anytime I answer the door in my house my Baby Desert Eagle is in my hand, in the holster, ready to pull and fire. If I don't know them I still answer, but cocked and locked. No exceptions. My kids have been scared, errr, taught never to answer the door for anyone unless the see the person and it's close family. My fiance is still naive and answers for anyone. Luckily we have a window in our door. The down side is if someone just wants to start shooting and loot later I never had a chance.

I've practiced many times what I would do if someone forced their way in. Luckily the PPD is just a block away, but that doesn't mean much. I have 4 workable plans for when the kids are here and 3 when they aren't. Only two involve someone not getting shot. The rest, the guy(s) breaking in will either run or... well, I won't have my BDE for a long while...

Either way, I can't understand why this guy would run out with a shotty. I'd crouch next to my door frame, pointed out screaming "Leave or eat buck shot Ahole!!!" If I had my pistol, CLICK "Eat carpet (expelitive)!" If not, bang. No one comes in my home and threatens my family. No one.

I do need to get some formal training though. I'd feel more comfortable. At least I can admit that where most won't.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    grimes isn't the worst place in town to live I'm a little suprised, figured maybe more towards the hill than the southside those college kids are suckers though.

Top Bottom