• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Well, a few weeks ago (maybe a month) my wife and I came to a decision. I've worked in IT (in some capacity or another) for almost 25 years. The problem for me was, I never wanted to do that as a career. It never excited me in any way, I get yelled at (literally) quite often, and for some reason people believe the pay is awesome but its really not. Its quite average honestly.

On top of this, I can never seem to find an honest workplace. People seem to love stabbing each other in the back to make it 2 steps ahead. I HATE that with a passion. I've lost jobs over it even.

To make matters even worse, I watch these mandates happening, the politics of killing / making sheep out of businesses. I don't want back into it. The stress of the whole thing combined was actually causing me physical symptoms like chest pains, headaches, that kind of thing.

So, I took something I do enjoy, and I've decided to start my own company. I'm done with being part of the "workforce" (and yes, I know technically I would be). I'm not going to work for anyone but myself. I'm going to do whats best for myself.

I'm curious how many people are making that decision or if I'm the only one out there?

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I’m 3 years from my intended retirement. If mandated by my employer, I will let them fire me. I’ve already retired once with my pension rolled over and invested. This job was to get me to actual retirement age. I’ll piddle somewhere.

Scenarfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2018
    Hamilton County
    Well, a few weeks ago (maybe a month) my wife and I came to a decision. I've worked in IT (in some capacity or another) for almost 25 years. The problem for me was, I never wanted to do that as a career. It never excited me in any way, I get yelled at (literally) quite often, and for some reason people believe the pay is awesome but its really not. Its quite average honestly.

On top of this, I can never seem to find an honest workplace. People seem to love stabbing each other in the back to make it 2 steps ahead. I HATE that with a passion. I've lost jobs over it even.

To make matters even worse, I watch these mandates happening, the politics of killing / making sheep out of businesses. I don't want back into it. The stress of the whole thing combined was actually causing me physical symptoms like chest pains, headaches, that kind of thing.

So, I took something I do enjoy, and I've decided to start my own company. I'm done with being part of the "workforce" (and yes, I know technically I would be). I'm not going to work for anyone but myself. I'm going to do whats best for myself.

I'm curious how many people are making that decision or if I'm the only one out there?
    Congrats on going to work for yourself! Just remember, sometimes the boss can be a jerk, but he probably won’t fire you!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I did. And for many of the reasons you listed. And it has stresses all its own as you will still answer to someone or a series of somebody’s.
    Yea you will be better off but depending on what you have chosen to do will you have employees. That is a level of stress all in itself.
    I wish you all the best just remember there is no real escape when you are in the game.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I'm a welder, if I had other skills, I might consider working for myself.....I'd love to be a "Firearms Consultant" if I could figure out how to profit from it.....OP, good for you!! Good Luck, and may God bless your endeavors!

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    My situation is similar. I've been a systems administrator for about 25 years too, I'm 5 years from being eligible for medicare and was laid off in March.

If I live frugally for the next 5 years I think I can pay my own way and retire now. Mortgage is my only debt and almost paid off, but there are some things I'd like to do (shoot more, upgrade/renovate the house, and may need a newer vehicle (truck) as a beater soon) and that requires some type of income for now and that is my quandary.

I do some IT consulting but is not steady work, do my own vehicle and home repairs, and that has saved me much $$.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Good for you.

I had worked in IT Support for 16 years and agree with you on the pay, especially in Indiana. Yes, end users can be a PITA and management is even worse. I actually had a friend help me get into Information Security, which is a much better area to work in. Much more in demand, much higher pay and treated as a professional instead of someone who is a dime a dozen. Best of all (to me anyway), it's a non-operations role that I'm working in, so I work from home. Can't beat the commute... :):

What are you doing for yourself? IT Consulting services? In any event, good luck to you, hope you do well and enjoy it... :yesway:

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have been in IT since 1996 and on my own since 2001. There have been good times & bad times. Just remember to bank money when you can, track mileage, and almost everything is a BUSINESS DEDUCTION !!!!

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    I'm actually starting a company that is basically drone and aerial photography services. I grew up around aviation, and have always been in love with flying and the technology around it. I recently got my sport pilot certificate and I also got my part 107 (unmanned aerial systems). Right now it seems to me that the big thing that everyone with a drone gravitates towards is real estate photography, so I decided to go in a different direction. I'm going to try to specialize in working with agriculture and construction. Volume estimations, inventory, field analysis, multispectral analysis, that sort of thing. I'm even hoping to volunteer with safety groups in the area but so far I never get a response from them :-/

So if anyone knows anyone with farmland or a construction job, let me know, I'll cut you a deal! lol

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I always and pleased when I hear about someone going into business for themselves. My dad was a business owner. I never had the guts. I was real close to starting a handyman business, but an employer came along and offered me a steady salary, benefits and a company car. I didn't turn it down.

Just remember, whether you work for someone or yourself, we all answer to someone. If you think you can do whatever you want, you won't be in business long.

Create a page on Facebook. A lot of people loathe FB, but there is a lot of free/cheap marketing available there.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Ya, I've already made the decision, I'm answerable to my customers. As long as I remember that, I feel like I should be ok. I'm here to help them make decisions that affect their business, so I can't skimp.

I already do have a facebook page, as well as a shutterstock page (not a primary source of income, but maybe a few extra $$). If your interested, check out https://www.facebook.com/VisionsFromTheSky (like I said, its a start, not a finished product). Right now I'm actually working on preparing for an agricultural expo that I'm going to as a vendor this December, hoping to get some exposure there. Haven't even brought in dollar #1 yet and I'm really finding that this is not about drones and its almost all about managing the business.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Biggest regret of my life is not pursuing skills and qualifications appropriate to self employment.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Congrats on going to work for yourself! Just remember, sometimes the boss can be a jerk, but he probably won’t fire you!
    I know a woman manager who fired her husband from a construction job. Said he was screwing off and getting in the way, and making the job behind schedule. Fired him and called the hall for another worker.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ya, I've already made the decision, I'm answerable to my customers. As long as I remember that, I feel like I should be ok. I'm here to help them make decisions that affect their business, so I can't skimp.

I already do have a facebook page, as well as a shutterstock page (not a primary source of income, but maybe a few extra $$). If your interested, check out https://www.facebook.com/VisionsFromTheSky (like I said, its a start, not a finished product). Right now I'm actually working on preparing for an agricultural expo that I'm going to as a vendor this December, hoping to get some exposure there. Haven't even brought in dollar #1 yet and I'm really finding that this is not about drones and its almost all about managing the business.
    Nice FB page! You might be on to something and on the ground floor so to speak. I could see farms (and others) getting a lot of value out of this.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't think you need a facebook account just to view his page. You just can't post anything. Kind of like being able to read INGO as a guest but you can't participate.

Right. Just thinking of the OP's business prospects.

Some folks just won't visit facebook sites. They consider facebook site only businesses short sided?

Top Bottom