• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Right now the business is less than 1 month old (from the date that the IN gov acknowledged our existence). I haven't gone to the expense of a website yet. Facebook was free and quick, a half way decent website takes time and $$ and I just haven't gotten that far yet. I'm sure within a month or two, there will be a live website, just not there yet.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Right. Just thinking of the OP's business prospects.

Some folks just won't visit facebook sites. They consider facebook site only businesses short sided?
    You know, that is a good point. I am working on a site now actually, probably won't have it ready for a while, and it wont be that huge, but I'm going to get something up soon.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You know, that is a good point. I am working on a site now actually, probably won't have it ready for a while, and it wont be that huge, but I'm going to get something up soon.

Bells and whistles aren't necessary, especially to start with. Your business card on a front page (without even links,) gives the interested non-facebook crowd a way to contact you without the crapshoot of how much of the facebook page they can see without signing up or how many clicks it takes to get there. Also a way to not give Mark and his woke-assed company any clicks at all.

Just contact info put's you an a place to swap as much content as you choose to email or text, or as little. If your initial website is just txt of some sort without links, you also have an indication of who is motivated to contact you enough to type. You might never need or want to upgrade the site?

:twocents:

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    I'm sure it will be updated eventually, and there is already some interactivity available on the site. Some links to other pages I've created, some links to previous work, a page where you can "message" me (really just generates an email to my company email, but its easy and short). I know I'm going to at least tie it to my domain (so there is a cost) and one of the things i'm looking at is it lets customers schedule events (so I can schedule consultations and such).

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Remembered reading this in IBJ but that’s behind a paywall so I found it here. Related business.
    Imaging has been a lot of talk in ag and some are jumping in on it but hard to see a direct return on investment with so much satellite tech now as competition. Becks are pushing to learn how to gain from it, and many local co-ops and retailers want to use it when it’s viable.
    If you can show a farmer viability, he’ll jump on it. So far, what I see is it’s either too little, to late (weeds, nutrient deficiency), or the yield monitor will catch it (drainage).
    I’ll look for you at the show.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    OP to answer your actual original question I did quit a job for similar reasons but not pandemic related. It was 30 years ago, working for a construction materials testing company that started out wanting me to overbill hours, turning in to writing fraudulent reports.
    I just quit right then, went to work on the farm, and have developed a few side businesses along the way.
    Never once regretted staying on the high ground and felt blessed for it at the time and still do.
    Followed my instincts, took a few risks, been very highly leveraged at times, but always felt in my gut it would work out.
    I think if you have that feeling and are willing to do what it takes you can make it. But that’s just me, I’m way more blue collar than IT, and don’t really understand how that works.
    It’s all about vision!
    Good luck!

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Remembered reading this in IBJ but that’s behind a paywall so I found it here. Related business.
    Imaging has been a lot of talk in ag and some are jumping in on it but hard to see a direct return on investment with so much satellite tech now as competition. Becks are pushing to learn how to gain from it, and many local co-ops and retailers want to use it when it’s viable.
    If you can show a farmer viability, he’ll jump on it. So far, what I see is it’s either too little, to late (weeds, nutrient deficiency), or the yield monitor will catch it (drainage).
    I’ll look for you at the show.
    I've heard some people say that satellite tech will overshadow drones, but so far I have yet to see it. Satellites can be expensive to repurpose, and take time. I can be out there and have info out to a farmer / manager / owner in just a few days (a week at most depending on weather). Course, satellites are weather dependent also (can't see through a cloud layer).

If your going to be at the Indiana Farm and Tech Expo this December, feel free to say hi, I'll be at Booth #125C.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Congrats on making the move! It's a little bit of a different situation, but I have essentially been self-employed since 2007. Not having to deal with any boss other than the customer is great.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'm actually starting a company that is basically drone and aerial photography services. I grew up around aviation, and have always been in love with flying and the technology around it. I recently got my sport pilot certificate and I also got my part 107 (unmanned aerial systems). Right now it seems to me that the big thing that everyone with a drone gravitates towards is real estate photography, so I decided to go in a different direction. I'm going to try to specialize in working with agriculture and construction. Volume estimations, inventory, field analysis, multispectral analysis, that sort of thing. I'm even hoping to volunteer with safety groups in the area but so far I never get a response from them :-/

So if anyone knows anyone with farmland or a construction job, let me know, I'll cut you a deal! lol
    Drone idea: Amateur Radio Operators like tall towers. Unfortunately most of us can't climb anymore. Yet the tower needs to be inspected at least every year or so. Look for things like rust, missing bolts, any kind of oxidation that can weaken the structure. there may be a niche in doing bridge inspections as well....at least capturing the video and handing it to a qualified inspector to examine.

Good luck in your new business!

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Drone idea: Amateur Radio Operators like tall towers. Unfortunately most of us can't climb anymore. Yet the tower needs to be inspected at least every year or so. Look for things like rust, missing bolts, any kind of oxidation that can weaken the structure. there may be a niche in doing bridge inspections as well....at least capturing the video and handing it to a qualified inspector to examine.

Good luck in your new business!
    Towers are a tricky thing when it comes to drones. Guy wires are hard to see where they are and can destroy a $1000+ drone in an instant. Depending on the type of tower and support structure, I'm willing to do some, but not all types of towers. Cranes are very similar, inspections are an option as long as support structure is safe.

Bridges are a whole different ball of wax. The problem is, almost all drones, the camera is mounted to the front / bottom of the drone. The gimbal they are mounted to is VERY limited on upward movement (some of them will give up to 7-8 degrees upward movement, and thats it). As far as I know, there is only one drone with an option for a top mounted camera, and that is the DJI Matrice 200v2 ($4000 + cameras + upward gimbal accessory). Not inside my price range yet! haha

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Well, a few weeks ago (maybe a month) my wife and I came to a decision. I've worked in IT (in some capacity or another) for almost 25 years. The problem for me was, I never wanted to do that as a career. It never excited me in any way, I get yelled at (literally) quite often, and for some reason people believe the pay is awesome but its really not. Its quite average honestly.

On top of this, I can never seem to find an honest workplace. People seem to love stabbing each other in the back to make it 2 steps ahead. I HATE that with a passion. I've lost jobs over it even.

To make matters even worse, I watch these mandates happening, the politics of killing / making sheep out of businesses. I don't want back into it. The stress of the whole thing combined was actually causing me physical symptoms like chest pains, headaches, that kind of thing.

So, I took something I do enjoy, and I've decided to start my own company. I'm done with being part of the "workforce" (and yes, I know technically I would be). I'm not going to work for anyone but myself. I'm going to do whats best for myself.

I'm curious how many people are making that decision or if I'm the only one out there?
    IMO everyone should be their own company.

SilveradoII

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Congrats to the OP. I am also done with employers. The company I work for just send out a letter stating that they are going to "voluntarily quit" anyone not vaxed and have the papers submitted by Jan 4th. That will save me all the headaches of submitting retirement papers.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My son was working as a millwright / fabricator until the metal prices jumped as well as the availabilty. He doesn't work for a Fortune 500 biz like I did when I was a millwright. He decided to go into biz for himself and has done okay. I told him it takes years to grow into something to be proud of but you gotta pay your dues like any struggling biz.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Ya, so far I've been working on just getting it started now for 3-4 months. Been a ton of work, and almost NONE of it has involved anything related to what I'll be doing for the business. Setting up to advertise, getting paperwork straight, all that sort of stuff.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom