Does everyone carry with a round chambered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Indeed he is. Unfortunately some people just don't listen and walk around with horse blinders on oblivious to how things happen in the real world.

I'm working on educating my friend, but I'm sure it will take some grinding away to get him to get it
    A solid day at a range you can practice properly at. Show him.
    I love that whole concept of actual racking a slide on your pants in-noticed. I mean heck man no one will see you remove it from concealed and making useless swipes at your levies. What idiotic movie sis that come from.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A solid day at a range you can practice properly at. Show him.
    I love that whole concept of actual racking a slide on your pants in-noticed. I mean heck man no one will see you remove it from concealed and making useless swipes at your levies. What idiotic movie sis that come from.
    Yeah that pretty much question his intelligence level. He is one of those book smart idiots though. I told him anyone who thinks they can rack the slide on the side of his leg under stress is more likely to shoot his own leg or foot than to ever be able to get good hits on an attacker. I've invited him to the range to show him a better way and have offered to foot the bill for the ammo too. We will see

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah that pretty much question his intelligence level. He is one of those book smart idiots though. I told him anyone who thinks they can rack the slide on the side of his leg under stress is more likely to shoot his own leg or foot than to ever be able to get good hits on an attacker. I've invited him to the range to show him a better way and have offered to foot the bill for the ammo too. We will see
    Good man. You will have your work cut out for you. He has made a statement that he can not cover so pride will be a heavy factor.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a real life experience with finding a round not chambered in my 92FS.

My oldest son just got back from basic and AIT. He then got ahold of my home defense/carry gun my 92FS and took the round out of the chamber, and didn't tell me.
    Luckily I found out when I went to clean/lube it. I asked my children who messed with my gun.
    My oldest pipes up all cheerfully admitted to doing it because it was unsafe ti have a round chambered even though I taught him differently he choose this stupid idea.
    I then demonstrated to him why that was absolutely a stupid idea. I had him stand 7, and 10 feet behind me, and told him to run at me, and tap me on my shoulder when he got to me to simulate an attack by a bad guy. I would try to draw and fire at target in front of me using snap caps in magazine and on an empty chamber.
    He found out real fast that you cannot chamber a round and bring the firearm back up to ready position, and fire fast enough even at 10 feet away.
    If you don't or a friend, or family member does not believe how slow it is try something safe and similar to demonstrate why you need a round in the chamber for self-defense situations.

Edit:
    Also can demonstrate why you need quality and fresh ammunition as well.

Last edited:

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    Shooting at a moving target in an occupied environment and close distance would be a concern as well as the ending destination for that bullet.
    I would question why someone would not use a knife being that close. I’m a dog lover but not enough to be a chew toy. If you can shoot it, you can stab it it’s just a distance game.

Plinker556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2020
    Central Indiana
    All* modern pistols are drop safe. Dont worry about it going off if dropped.

Just one word of warning, If you DO drop it. Let it go. The only way its NOT drop safe is if you try to catch it and accidentally hit the trigger trying to stop/grab it.

*with a few (usually manufacturing defects) exceptions.
    This is great advice, it's really hard to resist the instinct to try and catch something before it hits the ground.
    I learned this is true with tools working around a car. I can't tell you how many times I tried to "catch" something I dropped only to send it flying into something I didn't want it to hit - Like nice paint.
    Let it hit the ground, take a second to think, and then pick it up.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It is a simple answer: If you think pulling out and showing your pink card will scare someone to death, then leave the chamber empty...

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I carried one in the chamber since day one. It took me a year to research and purchase and get my pink card, so I had a lot of time to think about it. I basically treat the gun no different than if I thought the chamber was empty, except, it will be more useful, if needed.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I never understood the point of carrying without one in the chamber. If you’re scared of it, train more. Take some classes. A split second can cost you your life, any slight hesitation can cost you your life, and having to chamber a round can be a death sentence.

... from competent teachers.

I bet some instructors teach people to carry with an empty chamber.
    Not sure if it's common in the states though.

Some people are taught to rack the slide as part of their draw (Israeli carry).

Pestulence

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    I carried revolvers for years, always left it on an empty cylinder. Now I’m carrying a shield. I’m gonna assume I’m going to get made fun of here, but I’ve carried without a round chambered. Always kind of hoped/assumed if something was coming I’d see it coming. Then the other day I was working on my daughters car at her apartment complex, and as I’m going to her door this mid sized black dog starts charging. Probly 45-50 lb of mutt. I panic for a minute, saw it was on a lead, ran a few steps, then realized he’d pulled the stake from the ground and was loose. My back hit the wall of the building, it lunges at me, I bashed it in the head with my tool bag, it tries again I hit it twice more and run ten more steps, finally starting to think, realize he thinks he’s just doing his job, but there’s no where else to run and decide if he comes at me again I’m going to shoot it, but there I am, with a pistol that I’d have to jack a round in the chamber while it’s biting me, if it comes to that. Thankfully it backed off, but I’ve been thinking about it ever since.
    Edit.. I carry on my hip in a kydex that covers the bang bang stick. Reading the comments I think it’s just a mental thing I need to get over.
    Hi, agree with comments as related to semi-autos like the Shield. Not well enough acquainted with safety mechanism(s) on shield to offer full advice. I carry 45 ACP, always one in the chamber, but it has at least 2 safeties, so I'm comfortable with that. Develop comfort with your weapon by practice, studying your owners manual, and consulting others who may have more experience with the Shield than you. Be safe!

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    ... from competent teachers.

I bet some instructors teach people to carry with an empty chamber.
    Not sure if it's common in the states though.

Some people are taught to rack the slide as part of their draw (Israeli carry).
    Very good point. When I first started carrying a friend of mine told me he carried empty and made racking the slide a part of his training so it was second nature. After I took some classes and learned more I tried telling him the downside to it and he was convinced it doesn’t matter because he can draw and rack the slide “quick enough”. It wasn’t until I asked him how he can rack the slide if one of his arms are incapacitated, either by wound or by someone holding it, then he started to understand the reasoning for carrying chambered.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Very good point. When I first started carrying a friend of mine told me he carried empty and made racking the slide a part of his training so it was second nature. After I took some classes and learned more I tried telling him the downside to it and he was convinced it doesn’t matter because he can draw and rack the slide “quick enough”. It wasn’t until I asked him how he can rack the slide if one of his arms are incapacitated, either by wound or by someone holding it, then he started to understand the reasoning for carrying chambered.
    It's still important to learn how to rack the slide with one hand (with belt, shoe etc), to clear malfunctions, or reload, in case you're injured.
    But it shouldn't be part of the draw IMO.

The Israeli carry (with empty chamber) used to be a good idea historically but it's no longer the case with modern weapons.

I found a school in NYC where they teach the Israeli draw.

Intermediate Pistol Course -$395 per person

This course is appropriate for concealed carriers and those with some experience with handguns. The course picks up where the basic pistol course left off. It introduces the more experienced shooter to the next level of defensive pistol handling and use. This course focuses on the Israeli point-shooting method and includes: The Israeli draw, Israeli shooting position, drawing from concealment, shooting from the kneel, rapid reloads, clearing stoppages, chambering one handed, reloading one handed, shooting while advancing on a target, shooting after physical exertion, shooting in low-light conditions, shooting around obstacles, clearing corners and basic CQB (close quarter battle). The first part of the course will take place in the classroom and will include theory and dry-fire drills. After a 1-hr lunch break, we will do several hours of live fire training on the range.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Exactly how many stories have you heard of gun going off, that didn't involve something explaining it? I've never heard of a gun "just" going off by itself. To my knowledge there is no reason to be concerned about the cocked hammer/striker/spring hanging over a live primer as the gun was designed to do so safely.
    Funny I have an on going experiment. I have left a 1911 in a controlled environment, secured from any potential human interaction and done so on several occasions and not once did it spontaneously discharge all by itself!

kind of feel like I may have gotten a defective one?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    It's still important to learn how to rack the slide with one hand (with belt, shoe etc), to clear malfunctions, or reload, in case you're injured.
    But it shouldn't be part of the draw IMO.

The Israeli carry (with empty chamber) used to be a good idea historically but it's no longer the case with modern weapons.

I found a school in NYC where they teach the Israeli draw.
    Funny how some stress snag free sights and oppose the use of a ledge rear sight, they are there for a reason.

Top Bottom