Does DNR Monitor VHF (Marine) Channel 16?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Do Conservation officers monitor that channel when out on lakes and reserviors in Indiana?

I'm picking up a VHF Marine hand-held for my boat, as I intend to put it on the Ohio River at some point. But I'm wondering if it has much, if any, use on lakes and reserviors.

I've seen a couple situations over the years where it would have been useful and would have resulted in a much quicker response.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Do Conservation officers monitor that channel when out on lakes and reserviors in Indiana?

I'm picking up a VHF Marine hand-held for my boat, as I intend to put it on the Ohio River at some point. But I'm wondering if it has much, if any, use on lakes and reserviors.

I've seen a couple situations over the years where it would have been useful and would have resulted in a much quicker response.
    I would almost say no. As I have never herd or seen anything of the sort. I have hand held vhf for kayaks, and the same model for my boat. As it is a coast guard channel.
    Maybe some marina's monitor some stuff.
    May change on holiday weekends with the drunks on the lakes.

16 is the emergency channel

I wanna say 9/14 are common talk channels

You can allways put your radio on scan and listen for stuff that way.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Your likely to pick up interesting unlicensed non marine traffic... In places your not expecting it.. away from the water.

I won't go into who, or why.. but since the VHF Marine frequencies are federal USA wide allocation, with radios you can buy off the shelf on an otherwise very dead band in the middle of Indiana...

Program the Marine band around Indianapolis... and keep an eye out for VHF whips on vehicles you wouldn't expect them on.

Monroe is the only lake ive noticed any Marine traffic on away from the Ohio or Lake Michigan, and its usually just people asking where the fishes are, or whatever.

Top Bottom