Does anyone else OCing get asked if their LE?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This is the single most reason why I won't OC when off-duty...I don't WANT people to think I'm a cop. I don't want them asking or striking up a conversation about it. I'm off and I don't want to think about the job unless I have to.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    It has been my experience that children, small ones especially, notice more often.
    They are by nature more curious of their surroundings, but more importantly, they are at eye level to an adults waistband. Your firearm is at eye-level to them.

Imagine if people walked around with a pistol in a "shoulder" holster. Carrying a pistol on TOP of their shoulder, at YOUR eye-level. You would notice it really fast too.

I always just tell people "no, I'm not LE, but I am licensed to carry."

I carry a 1911 in a soulder holster and it attracts WAY more attention than a belt holster. I assumed it was because it was more visible and typical sheep don't notice anything out of the ordinary when it is on your belt.

My wife even heard a comment once from a guy that said, "she has the biggest cell phone I've ever seen."

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Surprisingly no. I Carry a full size glock OC ing and its more than noticable most of the time. I like the idea of IWB holsters but dont feel they look comfortable( never have wore one I could be wrong).

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Did he have a Glock in a Safariland holster? Is that considered impersonating an officer, really?

PS, if someone asks if you are a cop, they may be planning on calling the police (in ignorance) if you say "no", so maybe it is better to inform that you are licensed, rather than answer their question directly.

I had a Gen 4 Glock 21 in a Serpa Autolock 3 Holster. He said I look like a police officer, and police officers have to carry their credentials at all times, and he was protecting everyone in the restaurant. He had to check me out to make sure I wasn't impersonating an officer. He said he has interacted with many people impersonating police officers. And people usually don't carry a duty holster with a sidearm like THAT!. I tried telling him most criminals don't OC like this, he didn't believe me. I guess Noblesville has a lot of bold criminals.

That is good advice, while I did hand over my LTCH when he asked for it, I didn't say " No, but I am licensed" when he asked what agency I was with.

@OP I was actually asked yesterday if I worked security somewhere, and that's why I was OCing.
    It amazes me to think that anyone open carrying has to be a cop, a bounty hunter, or a security guard. Why can't people just know that any law abiding citizen can carry? It's their right, and they should be carrying too.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    As I've mentioned before if I'm feeling good and wanna mess with them I often get this fearful look on my face and whisper back "No! why are you????" Just to see the look on their face!!! Try it!!! :laugh:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I have never been approached since I mostly CC, but if I did I always thought "Go back to your business Citizen!" would be a pretty good response.
    But after reading this thread, I will probably use the Head of Security line.
    That was just awesome.
    If I am in a 'mood' I will be stealing the "sporting goods" response. Hilarious.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I had a Gen 4 Glock 21 in a Serpa Autolock 3 Holster. He said I look like a police officer, and police officers have to carry their credentials at all times, and he was protecting everyone in the restaurant. He had to check me out to make sure I wasn't impersonating an officer. He said he has interacted with many people impersonating police officers. And people usually don't carry a duty holster with a sidearm like THAT!. I tried telling him most criminals don't OC like this, he didn't believe me. I guess Noblesville has a lot of bold criminals.

That is good advice, while I did hand over my LTCH when he asked for it, I didn't say " No, but I am licensed" when he asked what agency I was with.

@OP I was actually asked yesterday if I worked security somewhere, and that's why I was OCing.
    It amazes me to think that anyone open carrying has to be a cop, a bounty hunter, or a security guard. Why can't people just know that any law abiding citizen can carry? It's their right, and they should be carrying too.

Because most people that carry, carry concealed. The general public goes around thinking that there are only a couple guns out there, and carried by criminals.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I think OCing with a shoulder holster ( meaning no jacket ) would scare a lot of people, I would probably think of the Sicilian-American mob or something if I ever saw it. I bet you would get far more LEO attention doing that, then wearing a drop leg holster too :D
    If someone wants to do it though, more power to them.
    I think wearing one would be uncomfortable, unless you bought a really expensive one.
    Anyone CC with one, how do they feel? Any blisters or anything?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I thought I just posted that I often OC my 1911 in a Bianchi shoulder rig :dunno:

No police encounter or frightened people running away but quite a bit more attention than a normal belt rig. Fairly comfortable and also VERY different than belt carry.

Top Bottom