• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    With my rifle that I'm running a 1-4 optic on I don't use BUIS, I don't really foresee the scope to stop functioning. But I guess a case could be made for both sides of the fence. I just don't see a need in them..

Say you accidentally bump/drop it and the glass cracks, it would stop working then. BUIS are insurance against the worst.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Not necessary with an ACOG or Aimpoint. Any damage severe enough to take out an ACOG or Aimpoint will likely knock the rifle or user out of commission too.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    If I were limited to one rifle, it would have BUIS. I have more than one rifle, and given my experiences with optics of late, I don't see buying many more sets of BUIS, if any.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think a lot of people over think things. Most people have NCstar red dots on their guns. In their case they deffinately need back ups. which will soon turn into their primary sights with much shooting at all.
    I have more guns with flip up back up sights than without.
    Also don't over spend. The plastic magpul mbus sights performed the best in drop tests against many high end brands.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Mud/snow on lens.
    Battery dies.
    Electronics fail.
    Etc.
    true but it isn't a regular thing with a high end optic. Sure it happens
    also even with mud or snow obstructing the front of your red dot you can still impose the dot on your target at a reasonable distance. They are designed that way. For those of you who have a black flip up cap on your aimpints, leave it closed and keep both eyes open while looking at your target. You'll hit it.

ive always built or bought my guns as if i needed to fight with them one day. So I believe in redundancies.
    but usualy when I get into a discussion about use of firearms on ingo and recommend the "fighting rifle" accessories to people they never listen and buy cheap **** anyways or they mock the advice.
    So I'd ask yourself first, what do you want to use your rifle for? The range or self defense or both? Therefore build for self defense.
    I see chinese **** on $2k rifles and I see $1000 optics on $400 rifles. And I've seen people with $2000 AR's that don't even know how to sight them in nor do they try or ask.
    I don't get too worked up over handing out good info anymore. The years here of people who don't listen have wore me down.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    None of my guns have back up sights. One gun I hacked the front sight off.

I shoot optic only. A quality 3-9x50 would get anything done.

If you've got a few minutes to acquire your target. But if you're transitioning between 2 targets inside a room, you're gonna have trouble.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If you've got a few minutes to acquire your target. But if you're transitioning between 2 targets inside a room, you're gonna have trouble.
    If I'm transitioning between 2 targets in a room, my trouble has nothing to do with the sights on my rifle. :)

(Only arguing out of habit at this point.) ;)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If I'm transitioning between 2 targets in a room, my trouble has nothing to do with the sights on my rifle. :)

Ha! Very true.

Probably a bad idea to make them worse than they already are, then.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Still you never know when you'll get that call at 1-3am from a friend asking for help and training kicks in. Anyone ever wait for the police in Indy? It can take an hour or more for them to respond sometimes. I'm not relying on anyone else and if a friend needs my help I'll be ready to do anything legally necessary if I'm the "first responder"

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You made me laugh. Nice post

:)

You probably didn't recognize me as the author. ;)

(But thanks.)

Ha! Very true.

Probably a bad idea to make them worse than they already are, then.
    Indeed. As I've said above, I tried the no-BUIS-on-an-AR thing and it just didn't feel right. So, my 2 ARs have them, including a 10.5" AR SBR with a QD RDS as the primary optic.

Because if my troubles do include transitioning between 2 targets in a room at 0-dark-thirty (from an elevated position behind cover, if I've been patient), then I won't have to worry about my sighting mechanism.

I'm considering getting a dedicated bolt-action hunting rifle. I'm not inclined to worry about iron sights with that right now, but once I get it, my thinking might evolve. Kinda like it did with that first AR.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    :)

You probably didn't recognize me as the author. ;)

(But thanks.)

Indeed. As I've said above, I tried the no-BUIS-on-an-AR thing and it just didn't feel right. So, my 2 ARs have them, including a 10.5" AR SBR with a QD RDS as the primary optic.

Because if my troubles do include transitioning between 2 targets in a room at 0-dark-thirty (from an elevated position behind cover, if I've been patient), then I won't have to worry about my sighting mechanism.

I'm considering getting a dedicated bolt-action hunting rifle. I'm not inclined to worry about iron sights with that right now, but once I get it, my thinking might evolve. Kinda like it did with that first AR.
    Oh I always recognize you ;)

now that I know you are an actual gun guy I dislike you less than when I just thought you wwere a liberal govt lawyer helbent on screwing gun owners :)

also im glad you sought cover instead of just Comcealment above lol

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

Are you saying you need backup underwear in that case? I might. Shoot first, change later.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hopefully the irony of you giving a thumbs up to that quote and your rifle in your signature not having bus Isn't lost on you. Ha

Well, it's my only gun without iron sights.
    And it has backups. They just weren't installed for the picture.
    But, good catch. Fine attention to detail. :yesway:

Top Bottom