• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry your handgun with a round in the chamber?

• Total voters

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I know people that go both ways on this subjet. So I'm wondering how many of you carry with "one in the pipe".

Please explain why you do or dont.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Like I told my wife, if you don't carry one chambered you might as well carry a rock.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    With a semi, yes.. with a revolver, I keep the one under the hammer empty because I saw the consequences of that one with an old "cowboy" shooter..

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    With a semi, yes.. with a revolver, I keep the one under the hammer empty because I saw the consequences of that one with an old "cowboy" shooter..
    That is only a concern in a non-modern revolver. IMHO, you are depriving yourself of one round which in a revolver, you very well may need. :dunno:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    If I'm carrying a revolver, it's mostly for show anyway. A BBQ handgun, so to speak. I'd have something tucked IWB if it were really needed, though :)

Edit to add - I don't own a "modern" revolver. Guess I shoulda mentioned that :)

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    In my DA/SA and DAO pistols I do.

Even though my PT99 SS can be carried with a round chambered in SA mode with the safety on, I don't feel comfortable doing it. And if I don't feel comfortable doing something, I just plain don't do it.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Always... because if you're at a gas station or w/e and some BG come rushing, who's to say you got time to load a round.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Always... because if you're at a gas station or w/e and some BG come rushing, who's to say you got time to load a round.

I am the only one who has voted "never" so far. I still stand behind that. If a BG comes rushing into a gas station and I don't have the extra half second it would take to chamber a round, so be it, I guess it really was my time to go. Plus, let's face it, most of us are situationally aware that this time of scenario is pretty unlikely to happen. I figure I am more prepared than 98% of all the sheeple walking around anyway, and that extra half second it would take me is inconsequential.
    I have a toddler at home and would feel like I have to unload the chambered round every time I am around home to feel like I have made the gun safe. I trust myself, but live with three women (one wife, one teen, one toddler), and don't feel like it would be safe enough at home with them thrown in the equation.
    I have heard enough about bullet setback that I don't want to constantly re-chamber the same round and have a "catastrophic" failure in my Glock one day.
    Finally, I am not espousing this for anyone else or trying to convince them that they should do it. It just works for me in the situation I am in. Maybe someday something will happen that will cause me to change my way of thinking as well as my style of carry. In the meantime, this works for me.
    :)

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    My dad is of the same mindset, Donnelly. He's carried with a full mag and empty chamber as long as I can remember, figuring that if he doesn't have enough time to rack the slide he's probably on the way out anyway. He's got a ton of experience in so many different aspects of life, and many of them have to do with AD/ND situations, so it's a comfort situation for him. He's willing to trade the extra half-second for safety, and if somebody's a half-second faster than he is, he's willing to say that it's his time to go..

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    If a BG comes rushing into a gas station and I don't have the extra half second it would take to chamber a round, so be it, I guess it really was my time to go.

willing to trade the extra half-second for safety, and if somebody's a half-second faster than he is, he's willing to say that it's his time to go..

God bless them both....I don't have that much time left and I not willing to take the chance. Draw, Bang

There always is somebody that's a half-second faster why give them any more....especially with glock :). With right gun (glock) and right holster it is completely safe. You can have all situtional awareness you want, it only takes one time with your guard down. You don't see it comming and get shot in one of your arms or hand how you going to rack that slide back? ....

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I carried with an empty chamber for a while after I got my LCTH.
    After several trips to the range and comfort (familiarity) carrying, I started loading the chamber. It just makes sense to me. I can certainly understand why some people carry with an empty chamber and unload and lock their guns while at home. After if a child accidentally gets ahold of your handgun and it is a simple point and shoot model like a block and your children are given free reign of the house it would be stoopid to handle it any other way.
    At my house the children are not ever allowed in my bedroom. Therefore I feel secure that when my handgun is not on my side it is secure in my bedroom.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I carried with an empty chamber for a while after I got my LCTH.
    After several trips to the range and comfort (familiarity) carrying, I started loading the chamber. It just makes sense to me. I can certainly understand why some people carry with an empty chamber and unload and lock their guns while at home. After if a child accidentally gets ahold of your handgun and it is a simple point and shoot model like a block and your children are given free reign of the house it would be stoopid to handle it any other way.
    At my house the children are not ever allowed in my bedroom. Therefore I feel secure that when my handgun is not on my side it is secure in my bedroom.

We don't have kids around the house, but I make it a habit to only have a loaded firearm within the controlled possession of my person.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I too used to carry with an empty chamber but now always carry chambered. On this subject I do believe in the theory that each person should do what they feel comfortable with. I am not one of the people that say if you carry without a round chambered than you might as well not carry. However, I do believe that for obvious reasons you will be more prepared to react in an emergency if you don't have to worry about racking the slide first.

As for the house, I keep my pistols locked up at all times when in the house so I don't worry about unloading them. I have a fast access safe for my Glock so I can get to it fast if I need to.

Top Bottom