Do you carry with a full mag? Why or why not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I don't think so at all. It is better to have it than not need it than need it and not have it. Which is exactly why we carry a gun or guns in the first place. It is the stakes of the situation not the odds of the situation that we are preparing for. I am responsible for three family members safety all the time. At my job on a given day I am respon Isible for the safety of about 160 people through the day despite being required to be unarmed.

Have you ever been on a back road and had a truck load of hill jacks back out in front of you and block your path? I have. A five shot j frame would not have been enough had shooting started. The odds of a non-typical situation are pretty small but they are life and death. I don't want to lose for a lack of shooting back. When you run out of ammo the fight is over. I am not willing to gamble that my gun fight will be typical or average. Not much else in my life has been.

I one got a lot of grief for carrying my flashlight everyday at school. Till the power went out a couple of times and then it was very handy.

those are very good reasons and if it works for you great. You have mastered your pistolcraft and prepared well. However, many have not... and if they have a fight this big and lack the skills of gunfighting they brought the wrong equipment.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    those are very good reasons and if it works for you great. You have mastered your pistolcraft and prepared well. However, many have not... and if they have a fight this big and lack the skills of gunfighting they brought the wrong equipment.

If they have no skills any gear is likely meaningless.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Honestly, "made me look!"

Full mag. 13+1 .45 ACP

I can understand -1 in the mag, but for the life of me can't understand anything less than that.

I always look when putting it on. It’s a mental check for me.

also plus 1 on the full mag +1 in the chamber and a spare mag to fit either 1911

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I carry my mags in condition butterscotch.

Condition butterscotch? Is that the same as Force Protection Condition BRAVO, MOPP Level 2, or Attack Condition Yellow? Hopefully it doesn't line up with the Terrorist Threat Levels...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I normally carry a HK P2000 with 12 in mag and one in the pipe, and an extra 13 round mag; and, a Spyderco Salt Assist knife for seatbelts and windows.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have occasion, fairly regularly, to contact lawful carriers and lawfully secure their firearms. I'd say more often than not the magazines are not loaded to capacity, and I'm not talking about downloaded by one, I'm talking about loaded to half or less of capacity. I find this curious and thought I'd pose the question of how everyone here carries. Myself? I carry with a full mag and one in the chamber.

:popcorn:

Chamber loaded, magazine fully charged.

The only mags I download intentionally are GI-style aluminum AR mags. Getting them seated with the bolt closed when fully charged is challenging and failure rate is high, so on the rare occasion I use them, I download to 28 rds. Pmags seat more easily in my rifles with 30 rounds than the GI mags do with 28, so all of my Pmags are loaded to 30.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Isn’t carrying 50-60+ Pistol rounds on you like driving a farm tractor to work everyday in case you have to go off road?

It's more like having a truck with 4x4. You dont always tow, have stuff in the bed, need power from all 8 cyls, or even drive full time in 4wd low... until you need it.
    I guess by your reasoning I suspect you are cruising around in a Prius?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Are you working?

Yeah, got a contract with a temp agency creating some documentation for a warehouse for a few months on the 4pm to 1:30 am shift. Whew!

Started last Monday night. After more than a year without a full time job, it's a relief. It's only a temp contract, but I am grateful for the income and I think the experience will lead to more tech writing contracts afterward. I found the ad on Friday 11/15 after 2:00 am and applied. The recruiter called me before 9:00 am and in less than 12 hours from finding the ad, I got the offer asking if I could start on Monday 11/18. I've never experienced anything like that, but I was glad to start last Monday. It's a challenge getting used to working 2nd shift, but it's doable. I got today and yesterday off, but I now have two calendar weeks under my belt and I even got my first paycheck in the mail today. Getting paid every week will be helpful to me trying to catch-up and deal with the deficits I had to implement to sustain the household.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom