Do you carry with a full mag? Why or why not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Pistol full mag +1

AR rifle -2 in any magazine so 28 in a 30 rounder

AK full magazine

Pump shotgun empty chamber most shotguns are not “drop safe”

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't know why one would not load it to full.
    Some claim better reliability, some say easier to insert on a closed bolt/slide. I’ve never experienced problems with full magazines and reliability (if they were quality magazines) nor have I had trouble inserting on closed bolts or slides.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Where's the bacon option?

Question back to you though: How many of those same people are carrying spare mags?

Full mag plus one, plus two extra 18 rounders. 52 total, pretty much everywhere but in a boat....

live found the extra weight of the two mags balances out the firearm and makes it carry better. Weight doesn’t bother me, I carry this on 3-5 mile walks with dog and just look at it as exercise.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Pistol full mag +1

AR rifle -2 in any magazine so 28 in a 30 rounder

AK full magazine

Pump shotgun empty chamber most shotguns are not “drop safe”

This is my approach too. Minus the AK, since I don't have one anymore.

As a dedicated watcher of the Active Self Protection channel, thousands of self defense encounter videos show that nearly everyone uses up what's in the gun, whether it's 6 rounds or 20. Better to have as many as possible.

I rarely carry a spare mag anymore, simply because the same analysis shows that the times when reloads happen in gun fights are statistically zero. When the shooting starts it almost never turns into a prolonged gun fight with folks hunkered down behind cover. When bullets start flying both bad guys and good guys generally boogie.

That said, I do generally carry a spare mag when going to places that might be a higher risk target for an active shooter, like malls, a movie theatre, etc. But I don't go to those places very often. I also don't fault anyone for having a spare or two at all times.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I have occasion, fairly regularly, to contact lawful carriers and lawfully secure their firearms. I'd say more often than not the magazines are not loaded to capacity, and I'm not talking about downloaded by one, I'm talking about loaded to half or less of capacity. I find this curious and thought I'd pose the question of how everyone here carries. Myself? I carry with a full mag and one in the chamber.

:popcorn:

On duty and off I carry a full mag but don't go plus 1. Couldn't in the revolver days and don't feel the need enow especially that everything is 15 to 17 rounds. Off duty I do have at least 1 spare mag though.

But when I worked municipal PD stuff like you when I had reason to secure a firearm found the same condition. half or couple round loaded magazines and when I was south (like outside Memphis) a couple times I found 22 in 25 cal and etc. (if Davis, Jennings and Hi Points count as firearms)

Convinced me that the people you usually have reason to take custody of their firearm don't exactly do it like the folks that dont put themselves in a spot to get that interaction.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I think I've figured out the reason for the disparity in mag loading.

INGOers have a habit of losing firearms in tragic boating accidents. If we would just half-load our mags, they wouldn't be so heavy and we might not lose them.

ccha8778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    The Region
    I've always carried with a full mag and always one in the chamber. Not sure why someone could carry any other way. I also carry a back up mag, also full capacity.

Top Bottom