• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Revolvers, compared to a semi auto, are also more difficult to shoot. Smaller sight radius as well.

Semi autos are also easier to reload.

For a beginner, revolvers are a poor choice. For a defensive weapon, unless you have trained with one for years, a revolver is also a poor choice.

This is also 2015. Semi auto is the better way :)

Semi-Auto pistols compared to a rifle, are also more difficult to shoot. Smaller sight radius as well.

Rifles are easier to reload.

For a beginner, Semi-autos are a poor choice. For a defensive weapon, unless.........

You have already played the compromise game going to a semi-auto pistol?
    Why knock someone's choice because they choose different?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Because you can't carry a rifle, or a shotgun, to Walmart and Taco Bell.

Actually, you can.

And many people don't want you to carry a pistol to either of those places.

Once again, you have already made a compromise. Why knock someone else's choice on their compromise?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Revolvers, compared to a semi auto, are also more difficult to shoot. Smaller sight radius as well.

For a beginner, revolvers are a poor choice. For a defensive weapon, unless you have trained with one for years, a revolver is also a poor choice.

IMHO, absolutes are always a good idea. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Oh, me too. Longest Day, In Harms Way, Flying Leathernecks, etc. And that is why I also have a 1911 :D

Shooting a 1911 is like shaking hands with John Wayne.

True, but a semi-auto has more benefits than a revolver. Why set yourself up for failure? Why not take any advantage that you can get? Handguns are already a compromise, why trust your life with something that can fail more often? Or something that just doesn't have the power to get that penetration to stop a fight?

BBI is probably right, 2-4 rounds may be plenty, but why not carry a gun that has double that? JUST IN CASE?

If I can shoot a .380 better than a 1911, should I carry that mouse gun instead? Hell no.

There really is no right answer to what constitutes 'enough' gun. If the main threat you are defending against is the petty criminal that really wants to be alive to enjoy the spoils of his crime, then a pocket .380 may be enough to move him along to the less protected victim. But, if you are facing an emotionally charged attacker that fully expects to die as a part of the attack (think murder/suicide bent ex-spouse or a jihadist), then a Glock 20 with 3 spare mags full of Underwood's best might not be enough to bring you through. What is enough for anyone is as personal a choice as what makes the perfect spouse for us.

Today, 14 rounds of 9mm, 11 rounds of .40 or 8 rounds of .45 (all before reloads) are enough to make me feel somewhat protected in my daily routine. As the world continues to slide into the crapper, that might change. If I head into the city, that certainly changes for me.

You really hit the mark with your thoughts. I really believe that when under stress of a violent situation, a simple revolver is by far your best bet.

I don't think that's the point BBI was trying to make. My take away was that in the most common shootings he's investigated, the use of a revolver did not make a difference in the outcome.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Carry what you shoot well, I am equally good with either a semi auto or a revolver and I carry both at different times. For me it is the method of carry/concealment with the clothes I am wearing that day that makes the choice for me. Different horses for different courses...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Let's see. We've covered revolver vs. semi, Capacity issues, carrying on a bike, BBI's resume and alleged shooters.

So, except for the revolvers are good to go, no...

For the record I am not allowed to carry a gun at work. But for the sake of argument let's assume that I am the type of person who would break a rule. In that case I would deep conceal a revolver. If I were the type to carry a BUG on my ankle it would be a revolver. In today's world the revolver has become a sort of specialized handgun that fits best as either a very small choice or in the large hunting/field role. I really think the K/L frame service revolvers are cool but their time has passed.

Revolvers do break. I have seen many do just that.

New revolvers can be very hard to shoot. Especially the small snubs with heavy triggers. Gone are the days of beautifully crafted medium sized service revolvers with slick triggers.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    My first hand gun, 40 years ago, was a high standard 9 shot revolver, still have it and my grandson has started shooting it, my home defense hand guns are a .38 colt and .38 tauras that I reload for

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

Difficult to shoot? There is much more to shooting a handgun than hitting the bullseye.
    When I had my shop I offered to take the gun owners out back after buying a gun from me and let them shoot them on my range. I never had to show the revolver people how to load or unload or operate the revolver after the first time. Auto were a entirely different story. Many had trouble even loading ammo into the magazine. Then many after shooting had problems remembering how to get the magazine out and almost everyone of them didn't realize that there was still one in the chamber. Many had malfunctions and I can only remember two that cleared the malfunctions without instructions.
    Remember not everyone is a gun expert like those on the internet. In fact many don't even care that much about the guns, they just want to have them just in case.
    I have told this story on here before. I sold a gun to a coworker. He came out and bought some ammo and he shot it on my range and I showed him how to take it apart and clean it. He loaded it and put it into a holster he had just bought and took off. 5 years later he came up to me at work and said the gun wouldn't fire. He brought it to the house and we went out to the range and he tried to shoot it and it wouldn't go off. I looked at it and took the safety off and ran the whole mag through it. He had taken it home and put in the nightstand and never touched it for 5 years and didn't remember how to work the gun. He didn't remember how to get the mag out either.
    Not every gun owner is a enthusiast.

About the sight radius. Not sure that matters on a close range defense gun. The sight radius on a 5" N frame is the same as a 5" 1911. The sight radius for a 4" K frame is about the same as a 4.25" 1911 or a Glock or M&P, etc. A J frame sight radius is close to a Shield or LCP.

A auto is easier to reload but some practice with a revolver can help that.

As for Revolvers being a poor choice for beginners or self defense, I just don't get that and thousands upon thousands of people are doing it wrong everyday.:rolleyes:

Yes this is 2015 and why are you so set on a vehicle that was designed in 1941? Your jeeps are a compromise, they are not the easiest to drive they don't handle that well they don't ride that well the don't get that great of gas mileage they can't carry anything or tow very much. Makes no scene when there are better vehicles out there for 99% of the time.
    Maybe the reason you like Jeeps is similar to the reason some of us like revolvers:dunno:

BTW I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and lots of revolvers.:nuts:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think by hard to shoot LoveMachine is referring to the long double action trigger that most new revolvers are plagued with having. Had a lady in class last weekend that brought a beautiful 1970s model 10 with a 6" pencil barrel. What a great shooter with a great double action and almost scary single action trigger. She did need help learning to reload efficiently but she felt comfortable with the old gun. I think that was a great choice for her or for that matter anyone. I just picked up a model 15-6 that would be a good gun for a novice shooter. Unfortunately revolver has become synonymous with snubby and many of them are crap. Guns built to meet a price point and then painted pink/purple/leopard print.

My dad is a die hard revolver guy and I don't feel he is unarmed or unprepared in the least. But he also invested in quality gear and has made a commitment to learning to shoot it. He also understands the limitation of the equipment. No different then my carrying a 1911 and understanding its strengths and limitations compared to other more modern designs.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I shoot quite a bit, a couple of hundred rounds a week...I began shooting revolvers when I was 17 and just turned 51...I have never had a revolver fail on me...My revolvers run .357 magnum, .44 magnum, and .45 ACP..

If you have shot around 353,600 rounds through revolvers and never had a failure, you need to buy a frikken lottery ticket right now, because you sir are the luckiest man alive.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    1) They have a crappy trigger.
    2) A high primer disables the gun. No tap rack and bang solution
    3) Low capacity.
    4) Accuracy at distance is difficult and takes much more practice that semi auto
    5) Semi-autos do not have to have thumb safeties.
    6) Reloads take days and not seconds.
    7) Most lack good sights.
    8) Shape makes concealment more difficult and less comfortable.
    9) Recoil makes practice unlikely.

Will they kill. Sure. Were they a good choice at one time? Sure. Then the 20th century rolled around. If you want to carry one carry it. I am not a liberal I don't care what you do with your life. I am not going to agree that it is a good choice. I am going to suggest that new gun owner go with something better.

I have had plenty of new gun owners that had to be shown how to operate and load a revolver. I have had many dozens of people bring one to a basic class that required shooting 150 rounds and refuse to shoot more than 10 rounds from the gun they brought. Only with revolvers has that happened.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    1) They have a crappy trigger.
    2) A high primer disables the gun. No tap rack and bang solution
    3) Low capacity.
    4) Accuracy at distance is difficult and takes much more practice that semi auto
    5) Semi-autos do not have to have thumb safeties.
    6) Reloads take days and not seconds.
    7) Most lack good sights.
    8) Shape makes concealment more difficult and less comfortable.
    9) Recoil makes practice unlikely.

Will they kill. Sure. Were they a good choice at one time? Sure. Then the 20th century rolled around. If you want to carry one carry it. I am not a liberal I don't care what you do with your life. I am not going to agree that it is a good choice. I am going to suggest that new gun owner go with something better.

I have had plenty of new gun owners that had to be shown how to operate and load a revolver. I have had many dozens of people bring one to a basic class that required shooting 150 rounds and refuse to shoot more than 10 rounds from the gun they brought. Only with revolvers has that happened.

1. Some do, some don't...same with a semi-auto especially a DA/SA
    2. If you don't check your carry ammo for this you aren't bright enough to carry a gun. Thos I can't ever remember it being an issue with factory carry quality ammo. And if it is any other problem you can just pull the trigger again...faster than a tap, rack, bang.
    3. This has been hammered enough, hit what you shoot at and don't spray and pray.
    4. With a 4 inch barrel gun it is just as easy to shoot well with the same amount of practice.
    5. And revolver don't have them...what point are you trying to make here?
    6. Reloads with a speedloader do not take days.
    7. Nope...only snubbies tend to have fixed sights and even some of them have good quality adjustables, just like anything else you get what you pay for.
    8. Only if you insist on IWB carry, OWB or pocket doesn't make any difference in ease or comfort. And those who knew my Dad knew he carried N Frames daily IWB...didn't bother him.
    9. Recoil with target loads in a 38 are too much to practice with? Seriously?

as for the final statement...must not of had someone show up with a compact like the LC 9 or PF-9 with full power ammo...those sting pretty good too.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    1. Some do, some don't...same with a semi-auto especially a DA/SA
    2. If you don't check your carry ammo for this you aren't bright enough to carry a gun. Thos I can't ever remember it being an issue with factory carry quality ammo. And if it is any other problem you can just pull the trigger again...faster than a tap, rack, bang.
    3. This has been hammered enough, hit what you shoot at and don't spray and pray.
    4. With a 4 inch barrel gun it is just as easy to shoot well with the same amount of practice.
    5. And revolver don't have them...what point are you trying to make here?
    6. Reloads with a speedloader do not take days.
    7. Nope...only snubbies tend to have fixed sights and even some of them have good quality adjustables, just like anything else you get what you pay for.
    8. Only if you insist on IWB carry, OWB or pocket doesn't make any difference in ease or comfort. And those who knew my Dad knew he carried N Frames daily IWB...didn't bother him.
    9. Recoil with target loads in a 38 are too much to practice with? Seriously?

as for the final statement...must not of had someone show up with a compact like the LC 9 or PF-9 with full power ammo...those sting pretty good too.

I don't spray and pray ever. Primers can back out during firing same as bullets pulling out and locking up the gun. Yes .38 targets rounds are too much for many people. Most revolvers that are carried do not have the features you describe, and even if they do they are still inadequate. If you have to reload you lose.

Someone in a class on a common firing line with a revolver always slows the process down. Always. But hey in a gunfight that should not be a problem.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    So as not to derail a different thread (further) I figured I'd just start a new one and lay out my reasoning a bit on why the answer is "no". As many of you know, I investigate people shot/stabbed/robbed blah blah blah and have for years real world experience impressive resume blah blah blah. So, here's my take away.

If revolvers suck, there should be a statistical difference in who won and lost a gun fight based on who had a revolver and who did not. I have seen no such statistic in my cases. People armed with revolvers tend to prevail as often as their counterparts armed with semi-autos. Why?

Well, because capacity is seldom a deciding factor. I've said it time and time again, but one side runs out of time before either side runs out of ammo in the vast majority of cases. One side or the other is injured and flees, is scared and flees, or is incapacitated and...well, just sort of lays there usually. Even in cases where more than 5-6 shots were fired, it rarely changes the outcome. They are shooting at someone who is fleeing (and often didn't START shooting until the person was fleeing). They are shooting and missing. They are shooting at someone who's already incapacitated and their brain hasn't caught up to the fact the other guy is down and out of the fight just yet.

Next up, is when did a revolver fail and a pistol would have prevailed or vice versa. I can tell you that the shooter's worst enemy is the thumb safety. I have had way more people fail to disengage the thumb safety and get victimized while pulling a dead trigger than have ever died with an empty gun of any kind. Those people would have done better with a revolver. I can think of one incident where the first shot hit the floor plate of the guy's magazine, dumping his cartridges. A revolver would have still been functional, but I think he would have still lost because he got stitched up too fast to react even if he'd had an uzi in his hand.

On the flip side is the myth the revolver is more reliable. Folks, these days if your semi-auto won't run 500-1k rounds with zero maintenance and feed any HP bullet out there then you bought a crap gun. Revolvers can and do fail, but are simpler to maintain. A (no thumb safety) pistol is just as likely to go bang, though.

So, in most real world applications I don't see a significant difference between a revolver and a pistol. Is it the best? Probably not, but few people really carry the "best" as opposed to "the best compromise". Based on what I've seen my recommendations for Mr/Mrs Generic Gun Toter would be:

1) No thumb safety pistol
    2) Revolver
    3) 1911 style thumb safety equipped pistol
    4) Any other thumb safety equipped pistol

And learn to employ it quickly and with the element of surprise...which is significantly more important than weapon selection (as long as you can make it go bang every time...which all to often doesn't happen with a safety equipped gun under stress).

So you carry one at work as your primary gun?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    1) They have a crappy trigger. :yesway:
    They don't have to but unfortunately many of the new snubs do in fact have a crappy trigger. Like a said gone are the days of nicely finished K frames. Yes those guns are still out there but what I am talking is the mass marketed go down to the local store and buy sort of stuff.

2) A high primer disables the gun. No tap rack and bang solution. :yesway:
    I have seen it happen more then once. Even worse is a bullet working forward under recoil. Again not a problem with all metal K frames so long as you check your ammo.

3) Low capacity. :yesway:
    Sorry no debating this one. I guess don't miss.

4) Accuracy at distance is difficult and takes much more practice that semi auto. :noway:
    Accuracy at distance takes practice with any gun. Plus I can hit stuff pretty far out with my revolver.

5) Semi-autos do not have to have thumb safeties. :yesway:
    Or they can. Whatever floats your boat.

6) Reloads take days and not seconds. :noway: Or :yesway:
    Bit of an exaggeration. BossHoss can reload his revolver after then I can reload a 1911. But that is a bit of a special situation. That said I am not aware of an instance of a non-LEO interaction where a person successfully reloaded a revolver. Consider the on board ammo as being all you will have.

7) Most lack good sights. :yesway: Or :noway:
    Snubs lack good sights. Larger revolvers have excellent sights.

8) Shape makes concealment more difficult and less comfortable. :noway::noway:
    The rounded more organic sort of shape to a snub revolver is quite possibly its best attribute. You would be surprised how easy a J frame is to hide.

9) Recoil makes practice unlikely. :yesway: Or :noway:
    snubs that is true. Nice K frames with light 38s not a problem. Plus no limp wrist malfunctions.

I suppose there here needs to be some clarification here. Revolvers as a whole are pretty awesome. It is the little snub nosed Tauri, Charters and Hillary Hole Smiths that do in fact suck! But if a competent gunsmith cleans up that little Centennial Smith it can also be your best friend.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Such arguments always seem to boil down to killing rather than shooting so here.
    If you really know your stuff and craft your own ammo then you can get good results with pistols.

But it isn't going to be as good as what you can do with a revolver.

Top Bottom