• ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Just contemplating building an AR upper in 350 legend and not sure if I want to spend money on another caliber. Having built one upper the tools are in my possession. What advantages would it give me, if any, over what I already have? My current staple includes a T/C Hawken in .50 that was bought many moons ago, a T/C Encore 209 x 50, Ruger 77/44, Marlin 1894 44 mag, and Marlin 1894 .45 Colt. I hand load for the last three. Of course a 12 gauge 870 is included which has taken my largest deer but oh, the recoil. There are also a couple of flintlocks. A swamped barrel .45 and .62 fowler that I use mostly for fun. Thinkin' if I were just getting into it the 350 may be a good choice but what advantage could it give me with the current choices? A few more extra yards? No need to immediatetly clean? Talk me into it....or not.

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Need implies a requirement. Your 1894 44 mag will legally take a deer here. However, an AR in 350 Legend would be a cool tool to do the job too.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Since you have a 44 mag rifle (or if you have any other rifles that would fit it) NO.

Companies just want to sell you stuff. It’s up to you if you want to spend the money for something your 44 will cover.

But You do you

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Only you can determine your needs. However, if you need a cartridge that is effective at longer range, likely more accurate, and at least for practice ammo, cheaper to reload, then the .350 Legend fits the bill.

IMO, if you hunt public land a significant amount of time or intend to hunt another state where it is legal, it is worth a strong consideration. If you hunt private land, you might as well step up to a full rifle cartridge instead of an intermediate one.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you have an encore muzzle Loader then why not just get barrels that work for it.

350 is pretty popular new from MGM I have been seeing them for sale in the region used. (Few but I watch for any barrels). New in like 16-20 inch we’re running around 400 all in. Not sure why I see that caliber but I see many straight wall large bore barrels maybe hunting laws.

One good shot with a hunting rifle is all you really need.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Need, schmeed. Variety is the spice of life.
    If you haven’t hunted with an AR, I highly recommend trying it. Front sling frees up hands and doesn’t fall off your shoulder constantly. Adjustable stock for different layers of clothing. Accurate. The only thing missing is blued steel and walnut. Wood stocks can be had, but you forego the adjustability.

FredMcIntire

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I have a Bearcreek Arsenal complete upper assembly in 350 Legend. It shoots lights out. Contrary to what so many people say, I've had no issues at all with mine. I haven't shot a slug gun in years! I would highly recommend that you add one to your lineup. As JMarriott said, a quality barrel for your Encore would be another option. I too agree, all you really need is one good shot with a hunting rifle :)

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Yeah, need schmeed. I have decided to build one. I have a CMMG 16.1" barrel coming to put on an Aero Precision M4E1 standard receiver. It will be topped with a Midwest Industries combat rail 10.5" hand guard, low profile gas block and melonite gas tube. :rockwoot:

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you want an ar pistol the 350 legend is awesome. have a 12.5 inch and 18 inch
    for longer distance a 22" bolt gun would be more suited
    guys are going 150-200 yards on deer with the 350 legend in bolt guns
    It is in one of the few cartridges approved by nearly all states for deer.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    "Need'...is always the individual's choice, but a new caliber...not something I would go with?
    I have friends who have 350 Legend and, while they love it, they also say it's not necessary.
    Me, I still like my .30-30 lever Marlin 336Y and 20 GA with Sabot Slugs...both are more than adequate for what I need. Whenever I consider a new caliber, I also consider what else I could spend the $$ on, as a comparison, and go from there.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Bought one this year because I drew for tippecanoe state park reduction hunt (i only hunt private). Used it all season. 3 shots, 3 dead deer. Very low recoil. Most they went was maybe 30yds. I went with the ruger American. If I could do it all over I’d stick with the cartridge but I’d get a 350 AR upper. At the state park hunt I could have shot more than one deer if I wasn’t using a bolt gun I think.

I run my omega 9k can on mine and it’s an absolute joy to shoot.

The bear creek arsenal uppers are very affordable…

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Bought one this year because I drew for tippecanoe state park reduction hunt (i only hunt private). Used it all season. 3 shots, 3 dead deer. Very low recoil. Most they went was maybe 30yds. I went with the ruger American. If I could do it all over I’d stick with the cartridge but I’d get a 350 AR upper. At the state park hunt I could have shot more than one deer if I wasn’t using a bolt gun I think.

I run my omega 9k can on mine and it’s an absolute joy to shoot.

The bear creek arsenal uppers are very affordable…
    Hornady 165gr ftx btw. Was right around 1moa for me with a 1-8x scope

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As I said in another thread where another dude was contemplating a .350 build...

You buy/build one so that eventually when you get your .350 Legend revolver you can have ammunition commonality.

Top Bottom