DNR shooting range hours changing for the worse!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    My father was up in Winamac last week shooting the FWA range. HE told me he talked to the guys that operate the property and said starting the first of the year the range hours are gonna change. Apparently the property people said all this is coming from Indy. He said the hours will be changed from 8 am to 5 or 7 depending on time of year, to 10am to 4pm. And shut down one more day so it will be closed two days during the work week for maintenance. They made it sound like this may be all over the state. Then the property guys said that they want to hire 3 range officers at Winamac and have them their all the time the range is open. This means that people who work don't get the chance to shoot except on the weekends, then you have to work around the FIPS from across the border to the west. So we all need to get some info on this and start contacting our state representatives and tell them we don't want this and remind them we vote. Oh and maybe recommend to the reps that the state should start charging out of state people to use our ranges, its not like all of them come and buy a license to hunt later.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My father was up in Winamac last week shooting the FWA range. HE told me he talked to the guys that operate the property and said starting the first of the year the range hours are gonna change. Apparently the property people said all this is coming from Indy. He said the hours will be changed from 8 am to 5 or 7 depending on time of year, to 10am to 4pm. And shut down one more day so it will be closed two days during the work week for maintenance. They made it sound like this may be all over the state. Then the property guys said that they want to hire 3 range officers at Winamac and have them their all the time the range is open. This means that people who work don't get the chance to shoot except on the weekends, then you have to work around the FIPS from across the border to the west. So we all need to get some info on this and start contacting our state representatives and tell them we don't want this and remind them we vote. Oh and maybe recommend to the reps that the state should start charging out of state people to use our ranges, its not like all of them come and buy a license to hunt later.

One question, what is a FIPS?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    FWA=Fort Wayne International Airport, just like ORD=Chicago O'Hare, at least for most of us in the Fort. Thanks for the clarification.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It is a reference to Illinois People. They get called that a lot around here because a lot of the local people do not appreciate how rude some of them are. Many of them have weekend properties in our area. It's sad that some are rude and disrespectful enough that the sight of an Illinois license plate makes you want to judge them all to be the same.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It is a reference to Illinois People. They get called that a lot around here because a lot of the local people do not appreciate how rude some of them are. Many of them have weekend properties in our area. It's sad that some are rude and disrespectful enough that the sight of an Illinois license plate makes you want to judge them all to be the same.

I get that it is a reference to Illinois residents. I just don't know what it means. Is it an acronym? What?

We have a few IL residents who have weekend/vaca property around me to. Along with metric crap tons of them coming on vacation.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I get that it is a reference to Illinois residents. I just don't know what it means. Is it an acronym? What?

We have a few IL residents who have weekend/vaca property around me to. Along with metric crap tons of them coming on vacation.

F#*%ing Illinois People (plural adds the S)

That's what many around here call them...

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    It was explained to me that since funding for these ranges come (in part) from a federal tax on firearms and ammo, that out of state folks can't be charged. This was from a RO at Willow Slough.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    It was explained to me that since funding for these ranges come (in part) from a federal tax on firearms and ammo, that out of state folks can't be charged. This was from a RO at Willow Slough.

So, firearms and ammunition sales are at an all time high (for how many years in a row now?), yet there's not enough money to keep them open during the current hours?

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    I thought they were "fibs" - F****ing Illinois Bast***s. Worked with a fella that grew up in Wisconsin but moved to Illinois for work, and his truck plates read "Not a Fib". I always got a kick out of his plates.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I thought they were "fibs" - F****ing Illinois Bast***s. Worked with a fella that grew up in Wisconsin but moved to Illinois for work, and his truck plates read "Not a Fib". I always got a kick out of his plates.

I'll have to remember that one. Just in case I need to repeat it. :)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    This really sucks, especially for guys who like to sight their rifles in at 100 and 200 yard ranges. The best time of day to do this is as early in the morning as possible because that is typically when the winds are most calm. The wind typically starts to pick up before 10 am. I like to have my gear set up on the firing line and be ready to start sending lead down range right at the opening time. The DNR guys have stopped to talk to me before range hours and told me its OK as long as I don't fire any shots prior to opening time.

I would even be willing to pay a nominal daily fee for using the range, say $5, to keep the longer range hours.

Top Bottom