• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I recently got a Streamlight TLR-3 for Christmas. I really like it and would love to have one on all of my pistols. However, the $70 price tag on the them makes them cost prohibitive. I started thinking about doing some kind of DIY flashlight for my G17. I was surprised that I could not find some DIY weapon light projects online. So, I decided to go at it myself.

I found some mini LED flashlights at Big Lots (with a push button switch on the bottom) 3 for $5.00
    I bought a set of aluminum 1" scope rings from Wally World. $9.97
    I grabbed a roll of electrical tape out of my garage. Free

The mini LED was just a bit small for the 1" scope ring, so I took the electrical tape and wrapped the mini LED to increase the diameter of it. Got it to fit snugly in the scope ring. Had to play with where to set it in to the scope ring so that there is enough room to get my finger in (behind the light and in front of the trigger guard) to push the button to turn it on.

Now obviously, this is an "on or off" set up with no momentary switch or strobe features. But for an office gun, I figure I can get by without these features. Plus, this only cost me $12.00. I love DIY.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am curious how that cheap little light will hold up to recoil. When it warms up run a mag through her and let us know.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I definitely will let you know how it holds up once I shoot it. However, I think it will serve its purpose since this gun is kept in my office and, hopefully, never sees and real duty.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    :n00b:

By this logic, why not use a Jennings? I would never bet my life on "I think".

Well Chezuki....I don't just think the GUN will work. I know the GUN will work. That's why I bought a Glock. The flashlight is just a perk. If I get into a situation in which I need to use the flashlight and it works for 5-10 shots, then it was fully worth the time and minimal cost. If it only lasts for 1 shot, then that is one shot more than having no flashlight got me.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    a $500 gun and a $5 light? Seriously?

You would be better off with a good pocket light in your hand than that set up. Sorry, I know you may be super proud of your accomplishment here, but there are reasons that set up is not sticky on the board.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Come on Hammer man! Give the guy a break. I am pretty sure that setup won't hold up but I appreciate originality.

ACC, listen to my boy Hammer and invest in a good handheld light. Regardless of if you have a light on gun, invest in a good handheld light. I am a SureFire fanboy but I think Streamlight is the best value. Buy a good light and never let it leave your pocket unless it is on your nightstand or pistol safe next to your gun.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Just to put everyone at ease....I do have a very good handheld light. Actually, I have about five of them. This was a "Just in Case" idea I had.

And Hammer...if you are gonna call me out....at least get your facts straight. It is a $12 light.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    if you are gonna call me out....at least get your facts straight. It is a $12 light.

You got screwed, Harbor Freight has those 3 for $10. :p

I only razz because I had a similar setup on my 870 using a pretty decent $25 Surefire knockoff (a light that holds up well to rugged daily use including frequent drops on concrete). It survived 1 shot and died on the second. The quality lights are designed for recoil.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Actually a $1.67 light and $4.99 scope ring. You could make two of those for $13.32 plus tax and still have an extra flashlight. :)

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I know this isnt the high tech and expensive stuff that the mall ninjas pimp, but the lights are pretty good, especially for the money. I have never mounted it directly to a gun and subjected it to recoil, but I have used this exact same light to do a few night shoots, in the handheld manor, and they preform wonderfully.

Just like anything, its not how much it costs, but if you actually have what you need, when you need it. Cops made it for years with nothing more than a Mag-Light, and even those have come light years beyond what they were a few decades ago.

+1 for the ingenuity, hopefully it works out for you.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    I give him points for creativity. But two issues with the light.

1. It won't blind anyone or throw a lot of light. It's designed for up close lighting.
    2. It won't hold up. Light may fail, and the batteries may crack under recoil.

I've seen guys do similar things like this, but they use something like a single cell Fenix or Foursevens lights. Again, there are some battery issues with recoil, but going this route is much better than using a $5 light.

Top Bottom