• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm done with the cheap pop up blinds. Where I hunt it's like a wide open wind tunnel and each year regardless of how I stake them down they get ripped out and end up in the neighbors field where they get hung up in the trees. I'd planned to make a simple box for this year with plywood, but with lumber prices being what they are I'm wondering if anyone have any more creative ideas on a DIY deer blind.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have dug out the top of a round bale of hay a couple times. One of those times it disappeared to the hay barn before use. Not the best for bow but rifle did well.

might I give a heads up for something I see used for cheap large signs. Normally white color and built like plastic covered cardboard. I don’t remember what they call it. I have seen homeless shelters built with it before on u tubes

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've heard of hunters using old plastic port-a-pottys. If you can find a handicap size one, you'll be great.

Just cut the windows where you want, paint it to your surroundings and you're set.

Screenshot_20210924-141738.png

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Build a 2x4 frame and wrap/roof it with steel siding. You can probably find some siding on Craigslist or FB Marketplace pretty cheap. I’d invest in a couple of anchors to keep it from going anywhere but that would work well.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I wish. I've actually kicked around the idea of a load of sand and some sand bags.

I dug more than a few by hand. It’s not as bad as you think, since you are building the berm at the same time. Just don’t get the idea that you need an apartment out there.

Dig it NOW, and you’ll see that by gun season, they will not even remember it’s there.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I like the port-o-let idea and I was just looking at pole barn metal on Menards' website and they offered camo steel panels.
    A fella could build himself a port-o-let sized blind and have it slide in and out of a pick-up truck for easy transportation.
    Hell, ya could probably even put a bathroom inside.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I use the metal cages that IBC 330 gallon tanks come to store firewood-I would think a couple of these could be made into a decent 4'x8' blind with the addition of some siding.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Grampa used a ring of wooden snow successfully.

Whut?

Pit blinds also protect you from the wind, and I believe get a little less of your scent out in the open air. Same for sound…the noise of racking a shell in, or unwrapping your favorite pogue bait is almost certainly going to travel a shorter distance if it’s done down in the bottom of the blind.

Used correctly, they also conceal nearly all movement of the occupant, including steam, yet allow nearly unrestricted mobility..below the berm.

If I’m in one, all you can see of me is from the nose up…and less than that if deer are close.

I’m pretty passable at long range shooting, but with deer, I’d take every shot at 30 feet if I could get it. Pit blinds are one of the most reliable ways to get extremely close to deer, and are nearly free to construct, so can be built most any place you want, as long as it has dirt.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Probably the simplest way is to buy a hog/cattle panel, a few steel posts, and some wire from your local TSC or Rural King. Side with your choice of materials, cut out shooting ports, and brush in as necessary. The total cost should be well under $100, depending on siding material.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Now’s the time to work on those bushcraft skills... of course I suppose the natural materials will die out and be different colors and not blend in by season.

Gotta say, that pallet blind looks pretty slick.

ETA: I’m all about upcycling/recycling items for uses like that, so I’ll keep an eye out for stuff that might be of use. I also just happened to look out back and see the kid’s wooden swing set... heck, if someone was getting rid of one of those around you, you might be able to covert one pretty easily.

Last edited:

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Now’s the time to work on those bushcraft skills... of course I suppose the natural materials will die out and be different colors and not blend in by season.

Gotta say, that pallet blind looks pretty slick.

ETA: I’m all about upcycling/recycling items for uses like that, so I’ll keep an eye out for stuff that might be of use. I also just happened to look out back and see the kid’s wooden swing set... heck, if someone was getting rid of one of those around you, you might be able to covert one pretty easily.
    In my experience the blind blending in is not an issue. If it is there permanently the deer become accustomed and don't care what color it is or how much it sticks out.

If i still hunted and had a permanent blind on the ground I would paint it Blaze orange. In fact, where i hunted there was a requirement to have some portion of a ground blind blaze orange.

Top Bottom