• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    In my experience the blind blending in is not an issue. If it is there permanently the deer become accustomed and don't care what color it is or how much it sticks out.

If i still hunted and had a permanent blind on the ground I would paint it Blaze orange. In fact, where i hunted there was a requirement to have some portion of a ground blind blaze orange.
    Makes sense. My experience has been “hunting” the two-legged variety so I’m not hip to real game hunting.

I like doing construction on small projects, so maybe there’s a market to be had? LOL

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    In my experience the blind blending in is not an issue. If it is there permanently the deer become accustomed and don't care what color it is or how much it sticks out.

If i still hunted and had a permanent blind on the ground I would paint it Blaze orange. In fact, where i hunted there was a requirement to have some portion of a ground blind blaze orange.
    Deer will eventually learn to avoid such obvious structures (or even less obvious ones) if you hunt out of them enough. How long that takes depends on how much hunting pressure you put on them. Hunt it carefully once or twice a year and you can get away with it for awhile, hunt it frequently with little attention paid to entrance and exit, then you'll burn it out quickly.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Deer will eventually learn to avoid such obvious structures (or even less obvious ones) if you hunt out of them enough. How long that takes depends on how much hunting pressure you put on them. Hunt it carefully once or twice a year and you can get away with it for awhile, hunt it frequently with little attention paid to entrance and exit, then you'll burn it out quickly.
    Of course, just like any stand.

My comment had to do with the blending in of the structure. In my 50yrs of hunting experience the camouflaging of a deer blind makes zero difference for deer.

For waterfowl it is completely different, at least for most species. For others such as teal, I've found they seem to want to fly right at me, standing upright on the shoreline of my lake, with gun in hand almost like they wish to test how bad I can shoot at tiny little, darty duck bombs.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Makes sense. My experience has been “hunting” the two-legged variety so I’m not hip to real game hunting.

I like doing construction on small projects, so maybe there’s a market to be had? LOL
    I think there would be a market for a inexpensive, water/wind proof stand. I always thought some sort of UV stable plastic would be perfect. I know a guy in the plastic business. Maybe I'll hit him up to see what he thinks about making them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think there would be a market for a inexpensive, water/wind proof stand. I always thought some sort of UV stable plastic would be perfect. I know a guy in the plastic business. Maybe I'll hit him up to see what he thinks about making them.
    That almost sounds like the little play "cabin" we have out back for the kids. Has a door on one side and windows on the other 3. It would just need to be "adult-sized". It assembles in panels. It's fairly heavy though, but I'd imagine it could be made lighter.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    That almost sounds like the little play "cabin" we have out back for the kids. Has a door on one side and windows on the other 3. It would just need to be "adult-sized". It assembles in panels. It's fairly heavy though, but I'd imagine it could be made lighter.
    Exactly. Panelized would be great so that you could make them bigger or smaller as needed.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Exactly. Panelized would be great so that you could make them bigger or smaller as needed.
    So are blinds removed after the season then set up before the next? Or are they left in place year round? Both?

What’s the average desired footprint and features that one looks for in a blind? Insulated? Roof?

I’ve built outdoor kennels, playhouses and decks, so I think I could come up with some neat ideas for DIY builds.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    My neighbor used an old plastic farm tank that had served it's purpose. 6' tall X 10' across. Small door cut in with + cut in shooting ports all around kinda like you see in the western shuttered windows. Pretty cozy

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Of course, just like any stand.

My comment had to do with the blending in of the structure. In my 50yrs of hunting experience the camouflaging of a deer blind makes zero difference for deer.

For waterfowl it is completely different, at least for most species. For others such as teal, I've found they seem to want to fly right at me, standing upright on the shoreline of my lake, with gun in hand almost like they wish to test how bad I can shoot at tiny little, darty duck bombs.
    Yes, you can get away with not brushing in a blind, provided you wait long enough before hunting it, where the hunting pressure is low enough. Where hunting pressure is high and blinds are popular, deer learn to avoid them quickly.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    So are blinds removed after the season then set up before the next? Or are they left in place year round? Both?

What’s the average desired footprint and features that one looks for in a blind? Insulated? Roof?

I’ve built outdoor kennels, playhouses and decks, so I think I could come up with some neat ideas for DIY builds.
    I would prefer a permanent setup if possible. Less work.

As for footprint maybe 4'x4' or a little larger. Non insulated, doesn't make sense to insulate unless you have heat. If you do why not just use your vehicle?

My friend does have a heated stand that is about 14' x 8' with sliding glass windows, a heater and a lounge chair. Not my style.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My friend does have a heated stand that is about 14' x 8' with sliding glass windows, a heater and a lounge chair. Not my style.
    I have seen an old camper hoisted into the trees with a ladder to the door. Has solar panel batteries heat coffee maker beds couches toilet and TV.
    Guy has been known to get some nice deer it is like his cabin and blind in one.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I would prefer a permanent setup if possible. Less work.

As for footprint maybe 4'x4' or a little larger. Non insulated, doesn't make sense to insulate unless you have heat. If you do why not just use your vehicle?

I gotcha. I didn’t know if it was a thing like ice fishing shacks to use a little LP buddy heater in the blind.

One could probably build one heckuva blind using stripped pallets. Change up the design a little bit and it could be made modular to be separated and removed at the end of the season of need be.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County

If you are hunting public lands then they need to be removed at the end of the season.

Top Bottom