• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Let start by saying I'm really ok with being disconnected/ outa touch, just every now and again I need to hear from others to make me not feel so isolated .

Ok here we go......I avoid talking to most people.....

I try to slip out of church without talking to anyone, because I honestly dislike football and the people who worship the game. I hate having to defend myself because I don't like football. Im just and idiot in there world,, but I can change my own (flat)tire with out having to call road side assistance , but I'm the idiot just ask.

I try hard to avoid answering the question of "so you raced cars?" After answering yes, I raced alcohol funny cars, the blank looks are in full force, then I get asked "you didn't drive a "stocker" on the dirt?" I answer, no I drove alcohol funny cars (and a couple JR fuel cars) my best guess is these None of these people could understand mechanical fuel injection, and aren't impressed with someone who can do the math behind the fuel curve in his head. But I'm an idiot just ask

I honestly have no idea who "so & so" is I don't follow pop culture, I don't watch much TV, I don't listen to a lot of music. I don't care about over payed actors/ actress and what they think about anything thing. There so important, they play dress up and pretend to be important. I do know current events that will impact our lives and I'm prepared for it,, but im stupid just ask.

I don't worship my lawn like my neighbors do. These people are insane, from sun up to sun down (unless football is on the TV) there out worshipping there lawn. Mowing 4 times a week, trimming the bushes, propping up the flowers ect....but I have to hear how if I just would stop working on race cars, and mow my grass every day, how much better my life would be.

I avoid talking about my hobby of building model engines, no one can fathom. 002 of and inch and how missing a dimension by that can scrap the project, I have to hear "you need a hobby" ....that is my hobby. But I'm stupid...

I avoid telling people I'm a high power competitive shooter, that's not a competition, there is no ball involved. I train, I practice twice a week, and shoot 3 matches a month (warm weather) there is talent needed for that. You need to take up football, now that takes talent. Ahhh,screw you.

I avoid telling people what I do for a living, I'm a tool and die maker. No I don't build screwdrivers & hammers. Morons......if we get part the fact I don't ride a desk for living, I'm asked what my shop builds, we are our own OEM building race car suspension parts, I then hear, oh race cars, can't find a real job can ya? It's OK I'm the super of production and I do engineering, maybe I should go worship a football lawn,court, playing area......

Thanks for letting me rant, now if you'll excuse me, the 9 year old wants her daddy , and I find your thoughts and questions much better then 99% of the adults I interact with

Aaron
    I would kill to have you as a neighbor!

Want to rent? I would accept knowledge and helping on projects as payment..., heck, I'd even let you use my 3 car barn and vehicle lift.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I've built walls
    A fortress deep and mighty
    That none may penetrate
    I have no need of friendship, friendship causes pains
    It's laughter and it's loving I disdain
    I am a rock I am an island

Don't talk of love
    Well I've heard the word before
    It's sleeping in my memory
    I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died
    If I never loved I never would have cried

I have my books
    And my poetry to protect me
    I am shielded in my armor
    Hiding in my room safe within my womb
    I touch no one and no one touches me

And a rock feels no pain
    And an island never cries
    Sorry, feeling out of sorts today. I have squandered my resistance for a pocketful of mumbles.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Especially the lawn thing drives me crazy……… everyone wants to go green but then they go outside and expend fossil fuels all week and waste fresh water all to maintain something that gives them nothing ! People would be much healthier if they devoted that same energy to a garden. Don’t even get me started on the weed killer people use on their lawns….. literally they call the only useful thing in the yard …. (Dandelions clover wildflowers etc) weeds then they use nasty cancer causing chemicals to terminate them.

Just put up a "I'm feeding the bees" sign. Then anyone who bothers you for not keeping up your lawn is an anti-nature ******* bent on destroying the world's food supply and natural plant life.

Not joking, I'm much more concerned about keeping birds and bees healthy than I am a putting green lawn. The fact it lets me be lazier is just a bonus.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Just put up a "I'm feeding the bees" sign. Then anyone who bothers you for not keeping up your lawn is an anti-nature ******* bent on destroying the world's food supply and natural plant life.

Not joking, I'm much more concerned about keeping birds and bees healthy than I am a putting green lawn. The fact it lets me be lazier is just a bonus.
    I agree but no one will see my sign.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    pop culture or sports. Ask if it's "pointy sportsball" or "bouncy sportsball" and they get the message and leave you alone. As far as people not knowing your niche, that's kind of to be expected as well. They aren't idiots any more than you are, or at least not for that reason, they just have different interests.

Or tell them you know who will win the Super Bowl. The Cubs! This is the year!

You can add that they will make the most baskets ever in a gsme

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Or tell them you know who will win the Super Bowl. The Cubs! This is the year!

You can add that they will make the most baskets ever in a gsme

An ex-GF talked me into attending a college party back in the day. Turns out they were all a bunch of Cubs fans. Oddly if you're asked if you're a Cubs fan and you reply "Is that Basketball" people tend to leave you alone afterwards... :laugh6:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

I have so much clover in my lawn I've thought about just letting it grow and putting a couple beehives in the back 40.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "People do stupid stuff I don't do" and "people don't know anything about what I do."

Got it.

To each their own...but I think I may see a correlation.

Look, no one owes anyone some sort of prolonged interactions or to be interested in whatever they do, but a polite smile and nod go a long way. I've even learned about new things I didn't know about before by asking dumb questions and not being met with:

Easter.png

If that's not you (the general, collective you), fine- again, you don't owe people anything...but people don't know what they don't know and they won't develop better questions until they do know. They might be honestly curious. Step #1 may be something as simple as not ridiculing what others like...out loud, at least.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    "People do stupid stuff I don't do" and "people don't know anything about what I do."

Got it.

Look, no one owes anyone some sort of prolonged interactions or to be interested in whatever they do, but a polite smile and nod go a long way. I've even learned about new things I didn't know about before by asking dumb questions and not being met with:

View attachment 242134

If that's not you (the general, collective you), fine- again, you don't owe people anything...but people don't know what they don't know and they won't develop better questions until they do know. They might be honestly curious. Step #1 may be something as simple as not ridiculing what others like...out loud, at least.
    My brother and mother are some of the best, if not the best people I have known that are genuinely interested in learning about what other people are up to. They may not be able to go deep with some subjects, but they do ask questions to have what is called a "conversation". They are inquisitive and don't look for a reason to reject a person because of their interests or views.

I'm not bad at it, but I still look to those two to be better. They can talk for hours. I am normally a quiet person as I'd rather listen then talk and I tend to keep my responses on the short side.

Except typing on this forum; for some reason I seem to be rather verbose. What's up with that?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Got it.

View attachment 242134

I won't stone face you because you don't know something, but I absolutely will if you keep trying to focus the conversation on something that only you care about and/or trying to convince me that I should also care about the thing you care about. If I'm the odd man out and everyone else wants to talk sportsball or their 15th level dwarven paladin's last raid or whatever, I'll sit quietly and wonder if I should get a drink, but if it's one on one or you're odd man out, read the room buddy.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I won't stone face you because you don't know something, but I absolutely will if you keep trying to focus the conversation on something that only you care about and/or trying to convince me that I should also care about the thing you care about. If I'm the odd man out and everyone else wants to talk sportsball or their 15th level dwarven paladin's last raid or whatever, I'll sit quietly and wonder if I should get a drink, but if it's one on one or you're odd man out, read the room buddy.
    1670972346592.png

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I know enough pointless trivia to carry on a conversation with just about anybody. My wife and kids have marveled at how I can strike up a conversation with total strangers.

That being said, when I’m at home, minding my own damn business, doing my own damn thing, you better have a damn good reason OR a personal invite from ME if you show up at my door.

And you better not be wanting to sell me cable tv, discount meat, or an alarm system.

Oh, and if you want to talk sports, go down to the local tavern and have at it, cause I ain’t interested in any of your sportsball bull ****.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

All good. If you want a 100% clover-lawn, that's cool. You'll probably have to mow it twice a year. When I was a kid, 50% clover lawns were the thing. Walking barefoot through the neighborhood lawns was asking for anaphylaxic shock from all of the honeybee stings on the bottom of one's feet.
    Thanks to strict border patrol, I've got almost 0% clover and dandelions. As I've mentioned upthread, Mrs. oze is a Master Gardener, and her gardens full of native plants are a bee (and other pollinator) paradise.
    Bottom line is: I like and am proud of my lawn, and I couldn't care less about anyone else's.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know enough pointless trivia to carry on a conversation with just about anybody. My wife and kids have marveled at how I can strike up a conversation with total strangers.

That being said, when I’m at home, minding my own damn business, doing my own damn thing, you better have a damn good reason OR a personal invite from ME if you show up at my door.

And you better not be wanting to sell me cable tv, discount meat, or an alarm system.

Oh, and if you want to talk sports, go down to the local tavern and have at it, cause I ain’t interested in any of your sportsball bull ****.
    You and I would get along great! Being in sales I have had to cultivate the art of talking about almost anything with a wide variety of people.

And I'm not a fan of people showing up and if you do, don't be offended if I keep doing whatever I was doing as I talk to you. That is a Midwest thing anyways. In the south it is deeply disrespectful to not drop what you are doing and move to the veranda for a lemonade. :)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I have so much clover in my lawn I've thought about just letting it grow and putting a couple beehives in the back 40.
    I'm about the same. I've actually been thinking of tearing out all the grass and planting mini/micro clover.

All good. If you want a 100% clover-lawn, that's cool. You'll probably have to mow it twice a year. When I was a kid, 50% clover lawns were the thing. Walking barefoot through the neighborhood lawns was asking for anaphylaxic shock from all of the honeybee stings on the bottom of one's feet.
    Thanks to strict border patrol, I've got almost 0% clover and dandelions. As I've mentioned upthread, Mrs. oze is a Master Gardener, and her gardens full of native plants are a bee (and other pollinator) paradise.
    Bottom line is: I like and am proud of my lawn, and I couldn't care less about anyone else's.
    See above. I like having a lawn, but not too interested in putting in hours of work each week to keep it up. If you enjoy it great(seriously), but it's not for me. Going clover for myself I'd have an okay maybe even decent looking lawn with minimal work. And if I do get around to putting in bee hives so much the better.

Top Bottom