• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Let start by saying I'm really ok with being disconnected/ outa touch, just every now and again I need to hear from others to make me not feel so isolated .

Ok here we go......I avoid talking to most people.....

I try to slip out of church without talking to anyone, because I honestly dislike football and the people who worship the game. I hate having to defend myself because I don't like football. Im just and idiot in there world,, but I can change my own (flat)tire with out having to call road side assistance , but I'm the idiot just ask.

I try hard to avoid answering the question of "so you raced cars?" After answering yes, I raced alcohol funny cars, the blank looks are in full force, then I get asked "you didn't drive a "stocker" on the dirt?" I answer, no I drove alcohol funny cars (and a couple JR fuel cars) my best guess is these None of these people could understand mechanical fuel injection, and aren't impressed with someone who can do the math behind the fuel curve in his head. But I'm an idiot just ask

I honestly have no idea who "so & so" is I don't follow pop culture, I don't watch much TV, I don't listen to a lot of music. I don't care about over payed actors/ actress and what they think about anything thing. There so important, they play dress up and pretend to be important. I do know current events that will impact our lives and I'm prepared for it,, but im stupid just ask.

I don't worship my lawn like my neighbors do. These people are insane, from sun up to sun down (unless football is on the TV) there out worshipping there lawn. Mowing 4 times a week, trimming the bushes, propping up the flowers ect....but I have to hear how if I just would stop working on race cars, and mow my grass every day, how much better my life would be.

I avoid talking about my hobby of building model engines, no one can fathom. 002 of and inch and how missing a dimension by that can scrap the project, I have to hear "you need a hobby" ....that is my hobby. But I'm stupid...

I avoid telling people I'm a high power competitive shooter, that's not a competition, there is no ball involved. I train, I practice twice a week, and shoot 3 matches a month (warm weather) there is talent needed for that. You need to take up football, now that takes talent. Ahhh,screw you.

I avoid telling people what I do for a living, I'm a tool and die maker. No I don't build screwdrivers & hammers. Morons......if we get part the fact I don't ride a desk for living, I'm asked what my shop builds, we are our own OEM building race car suspension parts, I then hear, oh race cars, can't find a real job can ya? It's OK I'm the super of production and I do engineering, maybe I should go worship a football lawn,court, playing area......

Thanks for letting me rant, now if you'll excuse me, the 9 year old wants her daddy , and I find your thoughts and questions much better then 99% of the adults I interact with

Aaron
    Do you mind if I steal this? Kindred spirit and all that.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I'm about the same. I've actually been thinking of tearing out all the grass and planting mini/micro clover.

See above. I like having a lawn, but not too interested in putting in hours of work each week to keep it up. If you enjoy it great(seriously), but it's not for me. Going clover for myself I'd have an okay maybe even decent looking lawn with minimal work. And if I do get around to putting in bee hives so much the better.
    A bonus about clover is that certain varieties under ideal conditions are capable of fixing N2 from the air and converting it to NH3(ammonia) into the soil, making it available to whatever ya got growing there. I've known a lawn enthusiast or 2 who actually let clover grow among their turfgrass in the spring while it does its magic, then killing it off in the summer when it doesn't. That's extreme even for me. I get a pound of free N2/1000 square feet just by leaving clippings when I mow.

Bad thing about clover: it doesn't stripe. ;)
    Screenshot_20221216_063154_Message+.jpg

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Way off topic now. Now I am looking into the BEST clover ….. any advice would be appreciated I have a BUNCH of bare dirt from recent excavating that will need seeded in the spring. Hoping to find discount foodplot seeds after hunting season closes

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    A bonus about clover is that certain varieties under ideal conditions are capable of fixing N2 from the air and converting it to NH3(ammonia) into the soil, making it available to whatever ya got growing there. I've known a lawn enthusiast or 2 who actually let clover grow among their turfgrass in the spring while it does its magic, then killing it off in the summer when it doesn't. That's extreme even for me. I get a pound of free N2/1000 square feet just by leaving clippings when I mow.

View attachment 242532
    A few farmers pushing the envelope on cover cropping leave the clover, plant corn into it, and try to utilize the N as a substitute for applied N.
    Personally, I can buy N, I can’t buy rain, and the clover would compete for moisture too much.
    I only knew of red clover and white, but cover crop seed companies may have info on what produces the most N, if that’s what you’re after.
    I think a balanced lawn with beneficials, plants that all help each other out would make sense, if one cared.

It’s not really off topic, it’s just some geeks in the corner having their own conversation over in the loner room.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    On the lawn side, if its green I cut it. That's my yard. 2 acres is too much to worry about clover or something. My biggest issues are with moles. We get them under control and then abou 3 years later here they are in force.... and thats where we are today.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    On the lawn side, if its green I cut it. That's my yard. 2 acres is too much to worry about clover or something. My biggest issues are with moles. We get them under control and then abou 3 years later here they are in force.... and thats where we are today.
    I'm just starting to get on top of the moles in my yards and now the Voles are reeking havoc.

Maybe one of you guys can help, but I was told moles like grubs which I'm working on eradicating but voles like roots which you can't do anything with. Unless they don't like grass roots in which I will need to be more diligent at ridding the yard of weeds.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm just starting to get on top of the moles in my yards and now the Voles are reeking havoc.

Maybe one of you guys can help, but I was told moles like grubs which I'm working on eradicating but voles like roots which you can't do anything with. Unless they don't like grass roots in which I will need to be more diligent at ridding the yard of weeds.
    The grub thing is just an old wives tale pushed by the likes of Scotts and other lawn chemical companies. They eat far more earthworms.

Ive had pretty good luck with the poison peanuts in the cone shaped container. Voles and chipmunks both like them.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I sort of feel where the OP is coming from, I'm not a big ball sports fan, but i will watch the Colts occasionally. I am a big motorsports fan though, Indycar, Nascar, Motocross, F1, basically if it has a motor and goes fast I like it.

I am a big people person though so I don't mind people asking about stuff I'm not interested in, I let them know and try to continue the conversation about something we both like.

Now as for yards, I do somewhat maintain mine, but I am seriously considering on turning my backyard, which is actually the road side yard because my house faces away from the road, into a practice motocross track for my son. I am really curious what my neighbors will think when it happens lol. They seem to be the type that thinks everyone around them needs a fancy house and perfect lawn.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The grub thing is just an old wives tale pushed by the likes of Scotts and other lawn chemical companies. They eat far more earthworms.

Ive had pretty good luck with the poison peanuts in the cone shaped container. Voles and chipmunks both like them.
    with two dogs running around we have to be careful with poison. The grubs we too care of last year with another round of Milky Spores. Late in the season is when something made the return.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

What are poison peanuts?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What are poison peanuts?
    Created a new thread about lawns and critter control here so we can get back on track here.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

View attachment 242532
    Now you’re just showing your true stripes.

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    Well, I’ve never raced, but I get it. I read. I study after work. I work on my cars. I’ve literally never seen an entire football game in my life. Tried playing once with some buddies in high school. Eh, just went back to my guitar. I don’t talk to many ppl bc I don’t have enough in common to talk about

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    On the lawn side, if its green I cut it. That's my yard. 2 acres is too much to worry about clover or something. My biggest issues are with moles. We get them under control and then abou 3 years later here they are in force.... and that's where we are today.
    Try moles with 2 avid 4-legged molers! Our labs put in a lot of effort eradicating the mole population each year, there are sections of our side lot that look like the Grand Canyon. I will say though that they ALWAYS get their mole.

Oh, and we don't have a "lawn", we have a YARD.

Top Bottom