• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jiggypete

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Has anyone heard what they did with their inventory? I suppose there is one of three possibilities.
    1. Holding onto stock to possibly resell once the immediacy and media frenzy dies down.
    2. Returned inventory to manufacturers.
    3. Holding stock to prevent further firearms making it into the consumers hands.

It seems to me that it was a knee jerk reaction and that if they are following the media and political line, they don't want them making it to market. If they return to manufacturers, the manufacturers will fill other orders and introduce to the market. I just can't figure out the whole strategy behind the business move except to look like they are taking a positive stand on gun control/ban. Thoughts?

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    It depends if they plan to suspend sales of them indefinately or not.

Asking a relative who manages a Dick's would be the best, if anyone here knows anyone.

The closest store to me though is Dunhams, and they still have those evil black rifles in the case for sale.

IndyAK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Somewhere and Nowhere
    I was at Dick's last night, they are all boxed up in the back waiting on the word from corporate on what to do. They were even told to take 223/556 ammo, Mag's, .22 rifle's and any Airsoft guns off the shelf that resemble "evil" AR's. But Airsoft's are being put back out. They have a banned list that will not let inventory to be checked out through the registers. The guy says there was even a shotgun on the list that they had to cancel the sale on when they were trying to take payment.

ssylvester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    I already thought Dicks was overpriced but this move ensures that I will not spend any money there. That's just ridiculous taking .22s and airsoft off the shelf. That just goes to show you. It's all illogical fear.

nineball481

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I was at Dick's last night, they are all boxed up in the back waiting on the word from corporate on what to do. They were even told to take 223/556 ammo, Mag's, .22 rifle's and any Airsoft guns off the shelf that resemble "evil" AR's. But Airsoft's are being put back out. They have a banned list that will not let inventory to be checked out through the registers. The guy says there was even a shotgun on the list that they had to cancel the sale on when they were trying to take payment.

^^^^This, confirmed at an Indy Dick's.

Also, anyone who bought on black friday, or any day prior to the shooting who had not picked up their new gun (ARish), has to take a refund or wait out the Dick's corporate ban!!!!! <<<personal opinion is that is BS way of doing business.:twocents:

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    My belief is the inventory is returnable to the manufacturer for credit even if a AR ban goes into affect. The manufactures can disassemble the AR's and repurpose the barrel assemblies onto another new and approved ban acceptable platform. The lowers will end up as scrap metal. Life goes on.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    wow, so glad i never spent money there. They had high priced weapons when I was there like 2 years ago, never went back cause I was not impressed with the selection and the LGS had way better selection and prices. Sucks for those that had bought and made a very legal transaction only to have the carpet yanked out from under them, after it was already done.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I wrote them a letter last night and told them I can't shop there again until they reverse this. I've bought many a gun there, at excellent prices (on sale). The Dick's in Avon told me they still sell the ammo, but were cleaned out. However, while mags and gones are off the shelf, they still sell AR accessories such as pistol grips, rail covers, and such. I put in the letter that this is hypocritical, and represents the lowest form of business. Stand on what you believe, but don't sit there and act like you are taking a stand while still selling and making money on parts that are AR exclusive. They even say on the packaging that they are for AR15's.

Darned shame. I wouldn't have minded picking up a Stag Model 3 there on sale, at some point.

Oh well.....There's other places to go.

jiggypete

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    It will be interesting if they reverse their policy if the price of on hand stock will reflect the market price, or their previous price. I would hope previous since they had it on hand and got it from the manufacturer before all the hysteria.

Luke76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I talked to the guy at the gun counter there the other night. He said he doesn't think they're going to still sell the AR platform even if there is no ban.

Luke76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I guess they only started selling them about a year ago anyway. It's their right to determine what they sell and it's each individual's right to decide if they want to shop there. I guess I don't see what the big deal is, I just see it as different people exercising their rights. :dunno:

bryhuds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Dicks....I have never shopped there much, especially after they bought out the good 'ol Galyan's chain. I only "window shopped" to look at physical items and then bought them somewhere else much cheaper. Looks like I will continue the trend of no more buying from Dicks...

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    It's amazing that anyone even shops at Dicks. Stuff is overpriced and you can get the same stuff off of the net or at a local shop.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    It's amazing that anyone even shops at Dicks. Stuff is overpriced and you can get the same stuff off of the net or at a local shop.

Not everything. I picked up a Marlin 795 last year for $99 after rebate. I also bought a Savage 93 in .17hmr with scope and all camo for just over $200 a few years ago. (Love that gun!). I also picked up a Redfield scope with an Accu-range reticle for $99 bucks recently. Oh, and a Henry Golden Boy last year for $75 less than I could get it anywhere else, even Bud's, before the transfer fee. It's all about the sale. The Stag Model 3 could have been had there for about $750, when on sale a month or two ago, as well. I almost bought that one. I wish I had, now. Then they had the mother of AR deals: Troy Carbine for $799 for Black Friday. That was a hell of a deal! I wish I'd bought one of those, too!

As for the AR deal now.....well, I guess they're just being Dick's. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one!!

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Dicks has no one that can answer questions about there products. I was looking for a gun safe. I couldn't get any information on the one I wanted. So I bought one from on the net.

I was looking at a canoe and was told that this guy had all the information on them. He not only didn't know any thing about them. He didn't know how to get information on them. That was the last time I looked to buy any thing from them.

I have never looked to buy a gun from them. There prices always seemed high. The same for fly fishing stuff that they did carry.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My belief is the inventory is returnable to the manufacturer for credit even if a AR ban goes into affect. The manufactures can disassemble the AR's and repurpose the barrel assemblies onto another new and approved ban acceptable platform. The lowers will end up as scrap metal. Life goes on.

slingshot1.ashx

Top Bottom