• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Didn't Dicks have a contract at one time with Windham Weapons to produce AR's almost exclusively for Dick's? It was right before Sandy Hook. If I remember right Windham went into dept to buy new equipment to produce the contracted amount of firearms for Dick's. Immediately after Sandy Hook Dick's cancelled the contract, before recieving even the first shipment, and Windham almost went out of business. In the long run they actually made more by Dick's canceling the contract since the price and demand on AR's had risen but in the short term they almost went out of business.
    That was Troy.
    https://www.military.com/kitup/2012/12/statement-troy-industries-dicks.html

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Thanks for clearing that up. For some reason I had it stuck in my head for the last 5 years it was Windham. It always stuck me as a move that greatly reflected their name of Dick's.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Some INGOer under 21 should try to purchase a box of ammo and make a scene if they refuse to sell it.

Seeing state and federal laws prohibit discrimination based on age, disability, sex, race, religion etc. you'd think they would have a case if a retailer refuses service to a lawful person making a lawful purchase.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I said screw them after Sandy Hook.
    Any bets on lawsuits because of the 21 business?

I feel a business should be able to refuse to sell to anyone for any reason. I don't know what the court says though. I vote with my wallet.
    My wife and I were talking about the 21 year old buying a gun thing and she said well im over 21 so I don't have to worry.
    I said well im willing to fight for the Americans that aren't because it's wrong. If government recognizes you as an adult at 18 and holds you accountable legaly as an adult, gives you voting rights and other rights then they cannot or should not be able to legaly restrict your constitutionaly protected rights

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    Isn't age discrimination illegal? We need some 18 year olds who want to purchase a .22 rifle at Dick's to file a lawsuit claiming "age discrimination" since State AND Federal law would allow the purchase. See what would happen if a car dealership refused to sell cars to anyone over 70 because they MIGHT have alzheimers disease.

Sure age discrimination is illegal, but there are limitations. Are 10 year olds allowed to get a drivers license? The hypocrisy of determining that 18-20 yr olds should no longer be able to maturely own/handle firearms is faulted in the fact that many of our military service members are in that same age category.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Are we learning from this? Maybe this time?

How many of "us" have supported Dicks with their dollars for the past five years?

I'm guilty. But only on two counts. And I plead for leniency given the circumstances.

Count 1: during the great ammo shortage I bought several bricks of 22lr from the one in Hilliard, OH. I travel there somewhat frequently, and that community is full of liberal soccer moms and non shooters, so they didnt move much in that dept at that store per the guy behind the counter. They had a purchase limit due to corp policy, but always had at least a case or more available. That was the only place I could find it at the time. I do get points for helping to supply INGOers with ammo they couldnt get here, as well as helping a scout mom who was sent in to buy as much as she could for a scout shoot but was denied due to the round limits. I told the clerk "if she is limited to 4 boxes, I'll take 4 boxes as well. (with a wink to her with an aside "I only need 1 box. You can have my other 3)" The clerk overheard and said "I dont care what you two do, I just cant hand you more than 4 boxes each. Whatever you do after you walk away from my counter is beyond my control." On the way to the front I explained the situation, and suggested next time she bring friends. She had no idea what was going on.

Count 2: a 10/22 on a crazy sale at or below cost. I cost them money, so I felt good about that one.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Dick's says they will no longer sell "assault-style" rifles, nor any gun to anyone under 21.

I remember they stopped selling ARs after Sandy Hook, but apparently began selling them again in their Field & Stream stores.

Dick's Sporting Goods CEO on decision to no longer sell assault-style rifles: 'We don’t want to be a part of this story' - ABC News

Here is their four points from their open letter.

That's ok... they were always the highest price in town anyway. That said, and this is going to be massively UNPOPULAR HERE, BUT it is THEIR business and it is within their rights to decline to carry or sell a product and to whom. I believe strongly that should apply to ALL business, including pizza joints and bakeries, dress makers etc.

Besides, its obvious they don't care about the issue, its all publicity. When their bottom line suffers, they'll reverse course just as they did post 2012/2013. Walmart did the same exact thing 6 years ago as well. I'll continue to exclusively support local mom and pop gun stores that A: have a better selection 9/10 time and B: prices are better daily 9/10 times and C: it doesn't go to shareholders like in the case of Walmart/Dicks... :ar15::ingo:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    So they will no longer sell modern sporting rifles at field and stream but sell shotguns with pistol grips at ducks. I don’t recall anyone hunting with those but they might.

Attachments

• 8451DBCE-6416-40DB-A10F-1BC18F330017.jpg
      8451DBCE-6416-40DB-A10F-1BC18F330017.jpg
      40.8 KB · Views: 5

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    OK,