• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Ok, let me start by saying, I don’t care if you smoke weed, a lot of my friends do, people I work with do, and some family members do. I’m not against it, it doesn’t bother me, it just isn’t my thing. I’m in the “legalize it and stop wasting resources on it” camp.

Anyways. To the point. Guy at work swears up and down there’s some new strand (?) or product (?) or whatever TF you wanna label it, called delta 8, that’s legal in indiana. He says it’s actually marijuana, from the plant, no additives, just less potent. I’ve never heard this so googled it and according to Google he’s correct.

So, my questions are,

1) if someone gets pulled over with it I’m assuming they’re still going to jail, it would be way too difficult to differentiate between actual marijuana and some legal less potent marijuana, correct?

2) has anyone else heard of this? If so, what is it? I remember years ago some friends smoked some synthetic legal stuff and they had really bad reactions to it. Is this like that?

3) if this is true, is this ultimately the beginning of legalization in indiana? How do that coincide with the gun forms asking if you use marijuana?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    2) has anyone else heard of this? If so, what is it? I remember years ago some friends smoked some synthetic legal stuff and they had really bad reactions to it. Is this like that?
    Delta-8 tetrahydrocannabinol is very similar to Delta-9 THC, the most psychoactive compound in weed. The Delta-8 just refers to the location of the double bond on the main carbon chain, with Delta-8 being at the 8th carbon atom and Delta-9 at the 9th. To be legal in states where weed is not but hemp extracts are, it has to be an extract from hemp. What I have read is it will give a mild high similar to marijuana with many of the analgesic effects. It would indeed be chemically difficult to tell from marijuana extracts without fairly sophisticated lab work, and pseudolegality seems to depend on it being a gray area in that it hasn't been specifically outlawed

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Delta-8 tetrahydrocannabinol is very similar to Delta-9 THC, the most psychoactive compound in weed. The Delta-8 just refers to the location of the double bond on the main carbon chain, with Delta-8 being at the 8th carbon atom and Delta-9 at the 9th. To be legal in states where weed is not but hemp extracts are, it has to be an extract from hemp. What I have read is it will give a mild high similar to marijuana with many of the analgesic effects. It would indeed be chemically difficult to tell from marijuana extracts without fairly sophisticated lab work, and pseudolegality seems to depend on it being a gray area in that it hasn't been specifically outlawed
    Disregard my above. I guess the delta 8 is a different animal than the cbd buds.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    3chi is a company i believe out of fishers, IN that is huge in the delta-8 game. From my understanding the reason its legal is that its a byproduct of hemp.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    It’s the buds from the hemp plant. Contains CBD, but only trace amounts of THC. Looks and smells just like weed though. I’m sure it’s a pita for cops. We took some camping for s&g. Smokes and tastes like you’re breaking the law for sure, but zero effect, outside of possibly sleeping better. That part could have been psychosomatic.

View attachment 141459
    I don’t know much about it, but that looks just like it. I could easily see an officer arresting somebody for it even if it isn’t “real” marijuana. All these loopholes and people trying synthetic ways to get a buzz, need to just legalize it and let those who want to do it do it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I don’t know much about it, but that looks just like it. I could easily see an officer arresting somebody for it even if it isn’t “real” marijuana. All these loopholes and people trying synthetic ways to get a buzz, need to just legalize it and let those who want to do it do it.
    Absolutely agree.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Part of the confusion here is that "hemp" and "marijuana" are the same thing until you get the test results back. They are two names for cannabis and you can take two samples from one plant and have one test mj and the other test as hemp.

I think Delta8 thc is a synthetic compound created by processing cbd isolate that the sellers claim is technically legal under the farm bill because of how the farm bill describes thc. I do not think delta8thc occurs naturally in any plants, but I am not sure if that.

As far as i know, the indiana hemp bill still classifies cannabis flower as illegal for possession (hemp or mj) unless it is in the registered supply chain (grower to tester, or grower to refiner/blaster).

The flower you see in head shops is probably cannabis of some type, but you would be insane to think anyone knows the thc, thca, cbd, cbg, etc of that flower unless it is tested and who would be testing it as it is illegal to sell it?

I know a bill passed the indiana house to allow hemp flower for consumer possession and use, but I don't think it got a vote in the senate.

I wouldn't go posting that I have been smoking cannabis in Indiana, regardless of what the guy at the headshop said.

I wouldn't go vaping delta8 either, because I wouldn't trust anyone in the supply chain. Those Grey market items are often prone to using all kinds of ingredients that are prohibited in regulated markets. Vitamin e acetate is an example.

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Ok, so what is that? Lol. I’ve heard of CBD like oils and lotions but nothing you smoke.
    Cbd is a chemical compound found in cannabis, of a group commonly referred to as cannabinoids. Thc is another cannabinoid, cbg another, cbn, another, there are a bunch more.

Thc is the one most people associate with getting "high", and cbd is often associated with stress relief and inflammation relief. In reality, it is less clear than that as to cause and effect. These cannabinoids are, as far as I know, present in all cannabis plants, with some strains having the tendency to produce more or less of various cannabinoids.

The plants can be processed after harvest to isolate various cannabinoids. That is how you get cbd gummies and lotions, etc. They take the plant, grind it up, use some solvents and heat and remove just one chemical from it (or one chemical at a time). That is also generally how you get thc gummies and thc/cbd gummies, etc.

Some flower will have more cbd and very little thc and you can smoke it. Some flower has more thc and less cbd and you can smoke that too. I think all cannabis probably has all of the cannabinoids, but sometimes the levels presentare below the testing thresholds, so reported as 0.

(The legality of all this varies by location and the branch of government you are asking)

Google cannabinoids. After you get your head around those, Google cannabis terpenes and after that, look up "cannabis entourage effect". It really is a fascinating field of study that we are just scratching the surface of.

A big challenge with cannabis is that it has been taboo for so long and so much "community knowledge" was developed and distributed in secret and is just flat out wrong.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Ok, let me start by saying, I don’t care if you smoke weed, a lot of my friends do, people I work with do, and some family members do. I’m not against it, it doesn’t bother me, it just isn’t my thing. I’m in the “legalize it and stop wasting resources on it” camp.

Anyways. To the point. Guy at work swears up and down there’s some new strand (?) or product (?) or whatever TF you wanna label it, called delta 8, that’s legal in indiana. He says it’s actually marijuana, from the plant, no additives, just less potent. I’ve never heard this so googled it and according to Google he’s correct.

So, my questions are,

1) if someone gets pulled over with it I’m assuming they’re still going to jail, it would be way too difficult to differentiate between actual marijuana and some legal less potent marijuana, correct?

3) if this is true, is this ultimately the beginning of legalization in indiana? How do that coincide with the gun forms asking if you use marijuana?
    Just to address the op,

1: I don't think any cannabis flower is legal in Indiana. I do not think there is any such thing as delta8 flower, because that is a synthetic compound. There are delta8 vapes and edibles. Don't know if cops seize and have edibles and vape oil tested.

2: I have heard of it. I think several things were called synthetic mj a few years ago. What I saw was some kind of plant material, not cannabis, presumably sprayed with some chemicals. I knew some Indian fellows who owned several gas stations
    They said that if they sold synthetic mj, it would have been imported from India and nobody in the world knew what was in it. It was horrible stuff and I knew a guy who got suicidal using that stuff. I have no reason to think that was delta8 thc, but nobody on thus continent knew what was in that crap, batch to batch.

3: the war on weed is ending because it is unjust.
    I don't think delta8 has anything to do with it, but i hope it doesn't hurt. There is nothing poisonous about the cannabis plant, but I am afraid some jackass with a chemistry set will make something poisonous out if it.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Just to address the op,

1: I don't think any cannabis flower is legal in Indiana. I do not think there is any such thing as delta8 flower, because that is a synthetic compound. There are delta8 vapes and edibles. Don't know if cops seize and have edibles and vape oil tested.

2: I have heard of it. I think several things were called synthetic mj a few years ago. What I saw was some kind of plant material, not cannabis, presumably sprayed with some chemicals. I knew some Indian fellows who owned several gas stations
    They said that if they sold synthetic mj, it would have been imported from India and nobody in the world knew what was in it. It was horrible stuff and I knew a guy who got suicidal using that stuff. I have no reason to think that was delta8 thc, but nobody on thus continent knew what was in that crap, batch to batch.

3: the war on weed is ending because it is unjust.
    I don't think delta8 has anything to do with it, but i hope it doesn't hurt. There is nothing poisonous about the cannabis plant, but I am afraid some jackass with a chemistry set will make something poisonous out if it.
    Awesome comment, thank you.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The first four states to legalize weed (CO, WA, AK and OR) experienced a 37% increase in murders and 25% increase in aggravated assaults in the first year. It's tie to mental illness and violence is obvious but ignored. Schizophrenia? What's that?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    The first four states to legalize weed (CO, WA, AK and OR) experienced a 37% increase in murders and 25% increase in aggravated assaults in the first year. It's tie to mental illness and violence is obvious but ignored. Schizophrenia? What's that?
    Where are you getting your numbers?

I don't know much about the other states you mentioned, but my impression of Colorado is that the violent crime rates have gone down.
    The population is really growing in Colorado, so that could show increases in incidents, but a quick check on colorado showed the murders dropped in 2014 from 2013 (2014 was the first year of legalization).

I might be totally wrong, where did you get your numbers, Thor?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom