• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    I saw a big bodied "doe" today until I saw a red spot on its head. Can't believe they are shedding already! Saw him a few minutes after a nice looking 8 pointer was thumbing his nose at me from 20 yards.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I enjoy shed hunting and will be going out for the next couple of days (at least until the bitter cold sets in). With all this snow it may be a little tougher then before.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Some fall pretty early. I usually wait until February before I start looking. I have certain areas I cover and I want then all dropped so I don't have to keep going back.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The deer may come cuddle up with ya if that's the case.

Must be why we had 6 of them within 30 feet of the blind the other night AFTER my kid had just shot one.:dunno: Here I thought they were just dumb.:D

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    If a buck is sick or hurt they will drop there antlers early too, but some do just drop earlier then others... It will be hard to find any in this snow, woundn't waste my time right now, but if the snow sticks around it will make them easier to find after the snow starts to melt, they would of been useing major trails in the snow and the bedding areas will be easier to find..keep in mind the south faceing banks too, great bedding areas... im wait'n till first of march then they should all be dropped by then.... good luck to all.....

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    My brother in law shot an anterless a few years back 4 days after Christmas and it turned out to be a buck that shed. It was a big bodied deer as well. I thought it was early but I guess it depends on genetics and the nutrition that they deer had for the season.

Similar was a time when my father in law wnet to help a guy drag a deer by its antlers only to have one fall off and that was in early December.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    So, I take it since the regulation for Special Anterless Season does not specify gender, if a buck that has lost it's antlers is taken, there is no penalty?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    That's why it's an antlerless deer only season, not a deer lacking male reproductive organs only season.;) Just as in human, you sometimes must be really close to make that kind of ID.:laugh:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I'm new to hunting here and other states seem to specify buck or doe...but yeah, gender ID would need a good scope without antlers...;)

Wait till you see a doe with antlers. A guy shot one a few miles from here last fall. Heard of it, but that's the first one I ever saw.

BTW, thanks again for the .458 upper. It's a deer killin mo-chine.:yesway:

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    They've been shedding hard for a few weeks now.

I think changein diet, weather snaps and timing/duration of the rut all come into play with antler shedding. It's been an odd couple of months for deer around here, I'm sure some antlerless bucks were gunned down in this late bonus season.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    I kinda wish I hadn't noticed that it was a buck now. All I've been seeing are bucks and yearlings. That antlerless buck would have topped off the freezer.
    Edit: Yes, I know it would have been a legal kill, just not a kill I'd knowingly make based on my personal ethics.

Top Bottom