• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Who does it? What spices, rubs, marinades, injections do you use? I am doing 2 turkeys saturday and am just looking for some recommendations. One will be done rather plainly so my nephew can eat it. The other, I am open to suggestions. This time around, I would love a store bought marinade for ease but will consider all options.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    first, soak the thawed birds in salt water overnight. (or at least 8 hours) Its called brining the turkey. the salt causes the meat to take on water, so you end up with a juicier bird afterward. I dont like white turkey meat, but I gobble down brined white meat.

Beyond that, I have tried various marinade injections and out of everything, the biggest impact is brining. You can also add various spices to the brine like Rosemary and it may pick those up too.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Brine with a brine you google. Tons of varieties of brines. Lots more to it that salt and water. After that, I just fry them. No rubs, injections, etc. Anything on the outside of your bird, is just going to dirty up your oil faster. Keep the oil at 350. This will require you to turn it up to 375ish before the drop, then adjust to maintain 350. The cold azz bird will cool that oil quickly.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    first, soak the thawed birds in salt water overnight. (or at least 8 hours) Its called brining the turkey. the salt causes the meat to take on water, so you end up with a juicier bird afterward. I dont like white turkey meat, but I gobble down brined white meat.

Beyond that, I have tried various marinade injections and out of everything, the biggest impact is brining. You can also add various spices to the brine like Rosemary and it may pick those up too.

D R Y it well before placing in hot oil.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.

Yep. Don't forget that part! Welding gloves and shooting glasses are a great tool to have handy also. No sandals, do it outside over a non flammable surface. Don't fill the fryer past the fill line....itll overflow when you drop. I also turn off the gas when dropping to prevent fire. Once in, fire it back up.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If the turkey is already soaked in a solution like most store birds, e.g. Butterball, then you shouldn't be do a brine on it.

Frying does sound really good, but I'm sticking to spatchcocking.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

This. Absolutely this. Like air dry for at least an hour and a thorough pat down with paper towels. Moisture + hot oil is bad.

121114091129_turkey%20fryer%20safety.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Don't forget that part! Welding gloves and shooting glasses are a great tool to have handy also. No sandals, do it outside over a non flammable surface. Don't fill the fryer past the fill line....itll overflow when you drop. I also turn off the gas when dropping to prevent fire. Once in, fire it back up.

Wrong. Make your OWN fill line. If the bird is bigger than expected, using an arbitrary fill line could still result in the image below.

INSTEAD:
    1. Take your pot inside.
    2. Put the bird in the empty pot. (use the largest bird you will be frying if there is more than one)
    3. Fill the pot with water until the water just barely covers the bird.
    4. REMOVE THE BIRD.
    5. Mark the water line (sans bird) and empty out the water. (and thoroughly dry the pot)
    6. Fill the pot with oil to your new mark.

This. Absolutely this. Like air dry for at least an hour and a thorough pat down with paper towels. Moisture + hot oil is bad.

121114091129_turkey%20fryer%20safety.jpg

That isnt due to water on the bird (except maybe a bird frozen solid) That is due to overfilling and/or excessive oil temp. A little extra moisture wont do that, but it WILL pop like bacon and splatter hot oil on you.

ws98ta

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wrong. Make your OWN fill line. If the bird is bigger than expected, using an arbitrary fill line could still result in the image below.

INSTEAD:
    1. Take your pot inside.
    2. Put the bird in the empty pot. (use the largest bird you will be frying if there is more than one)
    3. Fill the pot with water until the water just barely covers the bird.
    4. REMOVE THE BIRD.
    5. Mark the water line (sans bird) and empty out the water. (and thoroughly dry the pot)
    6. Fill the pot with oil to your new mark.

That isnt due to water on the bird (except maybe a bird frozen solid) That is due to overfilling and/or excessive oil temp. A little extra moisture wont do that, but it WILL pop like bacon and splatter hot oil on you.

I can tell you from experience you want to do this with an unpackaged bird to account innards cavity. I did it with a bird still packaged and ended up about 2qts short when I dropped brid into the oil.
    Brining is the best way to ad flavor before frying. Lots of different brine recipes but I like Alton Browns.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    also, people, USE A CORRECT OIL.

Veggie oil / rape seed oil won't cut it. Good Lord it's a fire.

Peanut oil is a good one. And I'm sure there are others - but probably not as economical.

Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    I fry 2 every thanksgiving. I inject one with a commercial Cajun jerk marinade and the second one I always inject with honey butter. The honey butter is the first to disappear. I have never tried to brine the turkey first but after reading this I just might give it a try.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I cook mine in canola oil and keep the temp around 350-375. Have found that I can eat any amount of foods fried in canola oil, but peanut oil or soybean oil don't agree.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I use the Char-Broil The Big Easy Tru-Infrared oil-less fryer. I believe the turkey's come out just as tasty with less mess and less cost. A couple of uses will pay for it in the oil savings. As far a marinade, I like the Cajun Injector Creole Butter that can be bought at Bass Pro.

Top Bottom